Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

48 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Is the travel slowdown causing that much of a ruckus outside of Italy/China? I am going to Hong Kong and Singapore on the 13th with some friends and none of us are the least bit apprehensive about it. 

I know of at least one senior living company that has mandated that any staff that travel internationally are not permitted into their facilities (around seniors) for at least 14 days after they return. 

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Is the travel slowdown causing that much of a ruckus outside of Italy/China? I am going to Hong Kong and Singapore on the 13th with some friends and none of us are the least bit apprehensive about it. 

AA is apparently seeing a big enough drop in demand, that they are promising to waive change fees for any class of travel for flights booked to ANY destination in the world if you purchase a ticket between March 1 and March 16. All you need to do to qualify is change your flight at least 14 days ahead of the departure date, so you could in theory book your Thanksgiving travel now and pay no change fees to switch the flight 2 weeks in advance. Knowing AA isn't big on charity.... I'd say this moves indicates bookings have dropped significantly and they are trying to stimulate demand.

"Book your flight with confidence"

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Waiving-Change-Fees-for-Customers-Purchasing-Travel-Between-March-1-and-March-16-OPS-POL/

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

What if I purchased my ticket BEFORE March 1st and am scheduled to travel overseas during this potential pandemic? Am I pretty much screwed?

The “waiving change fee” should be for anybody traveling between those dates not just for people who purchased tickets then. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

It’s probably fairly likely. 

My guess is that if infrastructure improvements/new terminal spaces are in the works, AA is probably going to hand over their own money to design their own space and/or speed up the construction process. There was the hammerhead satellite  concourse in the works, but I could easily see that being redesigned to cater to international flying. I also know that several gates on Concourse C were going to be turned into “swing” gates and connected to FIS via a sterile corridor. 

I believe any expansion or new terminal spaces at this point would require the permanent crosswind runway closure. 

2 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

There was the hammerhead satellite  concourse in the works, but I could easily see that being redesigned to cater to international flying.

I think the hammerhead regional satellite would still be the best solution to increase widebody gates. Move the regional terminal to make room for an expanded D and keep the international ops at the main terminal and closer to the curb and mainline connections. And having the regional ops at the satellite would vastly improve traffic flow and taxi times.

1 hour ago, TCLT said:

I think the hammerhead regional satellite would still be the best solution to increase widebody gates. Move the regional terminal to make room for an expanded D and keep the international ops at the main terminal and closer to the curb and mainline connections. And having the regional ops at the satellite would vastly improve traffic flow and taxi times.

has the airport announced a time for this news?

22 hours ago, gman430 said:

What if I purchased my ticket BEFORE March 1st and am scheduled to travel overseas during this potential pandemic? Am I pretty much screwed?

The “waiving change fee” should be for anybody traveling between those dates not just for people who purchased tickets then. 

I am in this boat, have a booked trip to Turkey in June and right now have no clue what will actually happen with that trip.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I am in this boat, have a booked trip to Turkey in June and right now have no clue what will actually happen with that trip.

I was in Istanbul last summer for almost a week and it was one of my favorite trips ever. Such a breathtaking city!  I hope you are able to go.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I was in Istanbul last summer for almost a week and it was one of my favorite trips ever. Such a breathtaking city!  I hope you are able to go.  

I was there several years ago and I agree.  The Hagia Sophia blew me away.  And those ice cream vendors!  LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I was there several years ago and I agree.  The Hagia Sophia blew me away.  And those ice cream vendors!  LOL

I was with  my Turkish friend so you can only imagine the side streets and local spots we went to.  The asian side of the Bosporus is stunning.  Almost feels like a Greek island atmosphere (And I’m Greek so that speaks volumes for me to say that :-D )

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CLT704 said:

I don’t how accurate this is (it’s from a forum called airliners.net) but interesting nonetheless: 

1D04BF9F-C65B-41F8-8644-33813DABD9A3.jpeg.6efe9117fe4b1a777924383174a23c0e.jpeg

Also, from the same thread, there's this tidbit too.  Hard to say how trustworthy the source is, but could be an exciting development.   GSE (Ground Support Equipment).

image.png.afaf479b33490ea2bdb8b8e283bcb4d9.png