Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Not that this is a good thing, however, with substantially less traffic/crowds around the airport, I'd imagine this is a good opportunity to expedite the construction renovations while there are less people on a daily basis.  I can't imagine trying to renovate an airport like CLT where there are thousands of people flowing in & out every single day.  I don't know what the protocol is for their construction workers though (stay home, limited workers, etc) during this time.  

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

The first two weeks (starts March 29) of American's CLT - FCO flight is down to 40 - 50% full each day. If Italy remains under nationwide quarantine, might see the A330-300 bounce around domestically and delay the launch of the seasonal service. AA is currently offering full refunds on flights to Italy for departures through April 24. 

49 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The first two weeks (starts March 29) of American's CLT - FCO flight is down to 40 - 50% full each day. If Italy remains under nationwide quarantine, might see the A330-300 bounce around domestically and delay the launch of the seasonal service. AA is currently offering full refunds on flights to Italy for departures through April 24. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article241052271.html

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Update-on-China-Flights-OPS-DIS/default.aspx#network

Rome and Barcelona have both been pushed back to June 4.   

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I hope my flights to Paris on United aren’t eliminated in the next two weeks.  What’s the protocol on them letting you back in the country after an overseas trip now?  Quarantine anyone with a fever or just deny entry?

Just returned from London through JFK yesterday. CBP asked if I had been in Italy or China and that was it. 

And to confirm what everyone else has been saying, both Heathrow and JFK were a ghost town yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a thought, you know how CLT just celebrated 700 flights last year and this year was going to be the year of big expansion for AA, well that isn’t going to be happening any more. Who knows how long the fallout from COVID-19/the coronavirus will be, however it will put a massive dent in flights and numbers at CLT and other airports. Such a shame the timing of it all for Charlotte airport, massive systemwide cuts coming to AA to be loaded Sat-Sun evening . 

EDIT — here’s JonNYC on twitter backing that last sentence up: 

https://www.twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1237781186317033472

Edited by CLT704

2 hours ago, a2theb said:

Just returned from London through JFK yesterday. CBP asked if I had been in Italy or China and that was it. 

And to confirm what everyone else has been saying, both Heathrow and JFK were a ghost town yesterday. 

Well I hate it for the Airline Industry but in the short term I hope this means I can get some much cheaper tickets....

22 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I hope my flights to Paris on United aren’t eliminated in the next two weeks.  What’s the protocol on them letting you back in the country after an overseas trip now?  Quarantine anyone with a fever or just deny entry?

Trump just announced a ban on travel to Europe for the next 30 days.

United Kingdom is NOT included in this travel ban. 

I’m so glad I booked my trip to London and not Rome or Paris. Whew. :lol: I’m still planning to go but I will have to play it by ear. Luckily it’s a non stop direct flight from Charlotte on American. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gman430 said:

United Kingdom is NOT included in this travel ban. 

I’m so glad I booked my trip to London and not Rome or Paris. Whew. :lol: I’m still planning to go but I will have to play it by ear. Luckily it’s a non stop direct flight from Charlotte on American. 

Make sure to get travel insurance, just in case! 

2 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Make sure to get travel insurance, just in case! 

Oh, I already got it. Lol. Luckily the entire flight/hotel minus the fees were paid for with miles/points earned and not money. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Trump just announced a ban on travel to Europe for the next 30 days.

Does not look to be a complete ban: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States.These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the details. ^^^

Will be interesting to see what routes get cut. For example, flights to Paris will lose all French citizens and then be magnified by all the cancellations from US travelers. Airlines will have to decide if running those routes at 40% load factors make sense or if repurposing those planes for domestic travel is preferable.

I know our Lufthanda Munich - CLT route is heavy with Germans travelers. I'd expect a temporary suspension of the flight coming if they lose German business travelers that fill first class.

Edited by CLT2014

Here’s the actual order text: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

It’s a ban on entry to anyone who has been in the Schengen Area. Doesn’t apply to US permanent residents or certain of their relatives. I imagine none of AA’s seasonal transatlantic flights from CLT go on. 2x LHR stays for now. There’s going to be a lot of widebodies with nowhere to fly.

I would be surprised if the US3 canceled every single European flight. I could see AA doing:

-Madrid: Keeping one daily flight through PHL perhaps less than daily

-Frankfurt: Keeping the one daily CLT flight perhaps less than daily

-Munich/Zurich/Barcelona/Amsterdam: Cut completely

-Paris: Keeping PHL and/or MIA

9 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I would be surprised if the US3 canceled every single European flight. I could see AA doing:

-Madrid: Keeping one daily flight through PHL perhaps less than daily

-Frankfurt: Keeping the one daily CLT flight perhaps less than daily

-Munich/Zurich/Barcelona/Amsterdam: Cut completely

-Paris: Keeping PHL and/or MIA

Any thoughts on the seasonal CLT - DUB? Planning a trip later this summer. Ireland is not included in the ban. 

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

"In the next 48 hours, in the interest of public health, I intend to issue a supplemental Notice of Arrivals Restriction requiring U.S. passengers that have been in the Schengen Area to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures.”

Sounds like all European flights will be suspended from CLT.

Edited by joenc
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, stw52 said:

Any thoughts on the seasonal CLT - DUB? Planning a trip later this summer. Ireland is not included in the ban. 

AA will likely make a call based on demand / bookings and decide if it is worth running the route if demand is low. Rather the running PHL, CLT, ORD, and DFW at 50% capacity on each plane, they may cut two cities to run something like PHL and DFW at closer to 90% full and re-connect the passengers still going to Ireland through the reduced hubs to Dublin.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, joenc said:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

"In the next 48 hours, in the interest of public health, I intend to issue a supplemental Notice of Arrivals Restriction requiring U.S. passengers that have been in the Schengen Area to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures.”

Sounds like all European flights will be suspended from CLT.

United Kingdom is an exception. Those will continue at least for now.