Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

17 hours ago, TCLT said:

It’s probably an announcement of what the summer 2021 international schedule is expected to look like. I would expect CLT to have no transatlantic until 2021. With the EU ban on Americans, continued low demand, and the fact CLT isn’t an approved entry airport, transatlantic from CLT isn’t likely to be viable for a while. We should continue to way outperform on domestic traffic though. AA’s recovery is entirely based on expanding DFW and CLT.

I definitely agree. If I were a decision maker for CLT, now might be the time to ramp up the customs expansion. 

• Like 2

Here is the international announcement: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Resets-International-Network-for-Remainder-of-2020-Through-Summer-2021-OPS-DIS-07/

For CLT, resumption of FRA is pushed to summer 2021 and LHR and MUC is pushed to late 2020. The summer seasonal flights are eliminated*.

*The announcement makes no mention of CLT-MAD or CLT-DUB one way or the other, however if they aren't going to fly to Paris or Rome which are far more popular I struggle to see AA still operate Dublin and Madrid. Their omission may just be an oversight. However the lack of mention could possibly maybe indicate that AA's partners, namely Aer Lingus and Iberia, will take over those routes. This is wild speculation based on nothing and I still think it's more likely those are dropped than picked up by partners. 

There's lots of other international changes in there as well affecting the other hubs.

Edited by TCLT
comments on DUB and MAD
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, TCLT said:

Here is the international announcement: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Resets-International-Network-for-Remainder-of-2020-Through-Summer-2021-OPS-DIS-07/

For CLT, resumption of FRA is pushed to summer 2021 and LHR and MUC is pushed to late 2020. The summer seasonal flights are eliminated. There's lots of other international changes in there as well affecting the other hubs.

Well... that sucks. Any guesses if/ when the previous intl network is restored prior to COVID-19? FCO, BCN, CDG... etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

Well... that sucks. Any guesses if/ when the previous intl network is restored prior to COVID-19? FCO, BCN, CDG... etc.

Guesses about air service more than a month out are probably less than useless right now, but based on what I know at this point in time, I don't think CLT will see transatlantic service equal to 2019 until 2023 at the earliest, and more than likely later than that. If we get a vaccine or effective treatment sometime next year I can see a couple summer routes come back in 2022. But AA, and all the airlines, are going to be significantly (and permanently) smaller than they were last year. CLT never has been a large long haul gateway and so I would expect transatlantic service to be restored here after it returns to other hubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, all of this was somewhat expected, especially now considering that US Passport holders will not be granted entry into the EU or Schengen Area, which will likely put a damper on bookings for the 2021 Season.

The company said that they were "exiting underperforming routes" ex LAX, but simply mentioned that they were discontinuing routes to meet demand. CDG/FCO will almost guaranteed to resume once travel picks up again. 

LAX got hit very hard. Shanghai is moving to Seattle and Beijing/Hong Kong/Sao Paulo/Buenos Aires are all gone. IIRC, AA was the only carrier serving LAX-Deep South America nonstop. They emphasized in the press release that LAX will be mostly a domestic hub/transfer to OW carriers. CLT did not get the "domestic hub" emphasis. 

Very confusing regarding DUB/MAD, however, especially since they said in the press release that they were dropping 3 routes ex CLT. 

Edit: Apparently if a route wasn't on the resumption/suspension list, its planned start dates remain effective from the last couple INTL schedule changes. So at this moment, DUB/MAD appear to be going forward. Anything can change, however. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Edit: Apparently if a route wasn't on the resumption/suspension list, its planned start dates remain effective from the last couple INTL schedule changes. So at this moment, DUB/MAD appear to be going forward. Anything can change, however.

This makes sense. It does look like there are several summer seasonal routes from other hubs that were explicitly shown as resuming summer 2021 in this announcement so that was confusing to me. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with CLT-DUB/MAD.

53 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

As far as I’m concerned any of the cancelled routes might as well say TBD, nobody really knows anything at this point.

Exactly, AA has changed their international schedule like 8 times since coronavirus. Its basically an announcement for what is for sale at the moment, subject to change any time. 

• Like 4

Just had a connection in PHL, an airport I haven’t been to in probably 10 or so years. 

As much as I criticize the CLT renovation program, I have to say that CLT is far and away nicer than PHL (except for maybe their international and regional gates, which are quite nice). Quite frankly the PHL B/C gates (AA mainline domestic) are relatively dumpy despite whatever renovations they did. The concourse might be a tad wider than CLT but the gate hold rooms are compartmented and it makes boarding by zones awkward/claustrophobic, especially in the time of Corona. CLT feels much more airy and open. I walked through parts of the B Concourse and it seemed like it was the middle of the night despite it being sunny outside. It was quite eerie. CLT honestly feels like a brand new airport compared to PHL.

Out of all the AA connecting hubs, CLT is probably on par with DFW I would say at this point. I haven’t been to PHX and ORD in a while but I found it tired looking a couple years back. Same with MIA except for that one new concourse they use there.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Just had a connection in PHL, an airport I haven’t been to in probably 10 or so years. 

As much as I criticize the CLT renovation program, I have to say that CLT is far and away nicer than PHL (except for maybe their international and regional gates, which are quite nice). Quite frankly the PHL B/C gates (AA mainline domestic) are relatively dumpy despite whatever renovations they did. The concourse might be a tad wider than CLT but the gate hold rooms are compartmented and it makes boarding by zones awkward/claustrophobic, especially in the time of Corona. CLT feels much more airy and open. I walked through parts of the B Concourse and it seemed like it was the middle of the night despite it being sunny outside. It was quite eerie. CLT honestly feels like a brand new airport compared to PHL.

Out of all the AA connecting hubs, CLT is probably on par with DFW I would say at this point. I haven’t been to PHX and ORD in a while but I found it tired looking a couple years back. Same with MIA except for that one new concourse they use there.  

Yeah, PHLs international terminal is very nice by comparison but their AMEX lounge is tiny. Their regional wing (E?) is nice too but the rest of PHL could use work. Nothing worse than getting shoved into a B gate at the end where 140+ passengers are trying to get onto a 321 in a space made for a CRJ.

Today, CLT simply can't handle the amount of INTL traffic that PHL can and until that changes AND the 321neos are delivered I think we will be stuck going to DFW/PHL/SEA for anything but the larger destinations.

28 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

British Airways, Iberia, and Aer Lingus are owned by IAG, Ltd. With Aer Lingus being brought into OneWorld with full membership in the first quarter of 2021, I expect both MAD and DUB to return next summer. 

They’ve been good performers, especially Dublin. But I’m surprised about Rome, that was the summer cash cow for Charlotte TATL as far as I knew. I guess when demand picks back up that’s the route that will be added back first, the only one I don’t see returning anytime soon is Barcelona. 

I’d be happy with both DUB and MAD returning considering the circumstances. People on a.net think the sky has fallen for Charlotte :tw_joy:

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:What is the steel frame building going up near the old control tower behind the daily /hourly deck?   3rd to last photo. 

It’s an on site power station kinda thing. I don’t know if it’s actual electricity generation but it’s something to do with power. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2020 at 6:35 PM, KJHburg said:

What is the steel frame building going up near the old control tower behind the daily /hourly deck?   3rd to last photo. 

CLT704 is correct. It's the new power plant for the terminal; the existing power plant is located below and adjacent to the west end of current baggage claim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jwntim said:

Does anyone know what the plans for the LH route to MUC are? Looks like it hasnt been running but is this temporary or what? 

Two things: 
1.) Charlotte is not an approved entry point by the Department of Homeland Security for travelers returning from the the UK, Ireland, Schengen Area (includes Germany), Iran, or mainland China. Only 14 airports nationwide are processing customs traffic from those locations. 

2.) Germany and the European Union are not open to non-essential American travelers which pretty much kills demand

Lufthansa will keep the flight canceled until Charlotte can process customs traffic from Europe and Americans can start visiting Germany and the EU. Currently they have cautiously scheduled the CLT - MUC route to resume in October 2020 assuming DHS opens more airports for customs traffic.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

My brother and his family just flew from Vienna to Washington Dulles and said the flight was half full and that was the first nonstop in months.  The very first so very little demand for sure.  But I do think and hope we will get many of these European nonstops back but it may be next year.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

My brother and his family just flew from Vienna to Washington Dulles and said the flight was half full and that was the first nonstop in months.  The very first so very little demand for sure.  But I do think and hope we will get many of these European nonstops back but it may be next year.  

If the EU ever allows Americans back!!  :tw_dissapointed:

• Sad 2

59 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

https://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_capacity/passenger_allcargo_stats/passenger/media/preliminary-cy19-commercial-service-enplanements.pdf

CLT had the second largest growth rate in terms of emplacements of any US hub airport after DFW during 2019. 

I see a return to the 700 flight mark, but it will likely be 2 or 3 years down the road.

The airport has added a cross section model of the terminal lobby expansion in the baggage claim.  I wonder what is going underneath the baggage claim/arrivals roadway.  

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 3