Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Checking Lake Central Airlines on Wiki indicates it was started and centered in Indianapolis and flew DC-3, with the small tail wheel and no cabin pressurization. That is certainly what I flew on my first trip.

Everyone has a first trip story. Or worst trip story. I will stick to first trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Every week there are new reports about the imminent bankruptcy threat. Behind closed doors CLT airport authority is already preparing for this scenario which would -obviously- have a major impact on the current CLT airport business model.

https://www.axios.com/american-airlines-short-sellers-bankruptcy-9fa0c192-3e96-45f1-bacc-4b49b1008173.html

Reading here that AA will be operating cargo only ops to Europe gives me chills, considering they will be flying 777  50% filled with air. I wonder if profitability calculation is part of American's business practice - looking at the debt ratio, doesn't seem to be one of their strengths...
But hey, Middle East carriers also operate without making money, so why not I guess.

• Sad 2

Why does AA operating cargo flights on CLT-MUC give you chills? There is significant cargo demand to/from Bavaria from the Carolinas and the flights will more than likely turn a profit. CLT cannot accept international arrivals at this stage from Europe per CBP regulations hence the flights are operating as cargo only.

AA can file for Chapter 11 tomorrow, restructure, and then file for Chapter 11 in 2022 and it would probably have little if any impact on CLT operations. 

Everyone is acting all doom and gloom regarding AA, especially since they put out a list of cities they will temporarily suspend service to. DL did that months ago and yet no one batted an eye. Look at the list of cities. Almost all of them are cities where AA is the sole airline carrier. AA is essentially making a political statement to attempt to get the CARES act extended. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can speak to Greenville NC as I have many friends there having went to ECU.  They all drive to RDU to fly now as there are more options and with the highways improved so much it is a freeway from Greenville to RDU.    Not as familiar with Florence but having Myrtle Beach with decent service and Columbia both about 1 hour away it is still accessible. 

• Like 1

It's interesting because a good number of cities that AA has announced they are dropping (note that they have not announced they are permenantly removing these cities from the system, but only for the month of October), such as PGV/HVN/SWO/HTS are all college towns, home to ECU, Yale, OSU, and Marshall, respectively. Dubuque has a good number of universities as well. With classes online right now I am sure travel is way down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LKN704 said:

It's interesting because a good number of cities that AA has announced they are dropping (note that they have not announced they are permenantly removing these cities from the system, but only for the month of October), such as PGV/HVN/SWO/HTS are all college towns, home to ECU, Yale, OSU, and Marshall, respectively. Dubuque has a good number of universities as well. With classes online right now I am sure travel is way down. 

Quick load check confirms this.

As far as cargo only operations, we are surprisingly making money on these flights with only cargo.   We are even carrying some in the cabin.  It is crazy that we have come to this point, but if there is a way to make $$ with a 777 that would be parked if not for the cargo then great.

As far as debt, I am not sure if people realize how much of the debt we have came in the last 6 months alone.  Trying to stay actually in business.  Scary times.  For what its worth I am an FO here who will be furloughed Oct. 1 if CARES is not extended.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

23 minutes ago, xapostrophe said:

Quick load check confirms this.

As far as cargo only operations, we are surprisingly making money on these flights with only cargo.   We are even carrying some in the cabin.  It is crazy that we have come to this point, but if there is a way to make $$ with a 777 that would be parked if not for the cargo then great.

As far as debt, I am not sure if people realize how much of the debt we have came in the last 6 months alone.  Trying to stay actually in business.  Scary times.  For what its worth I am an FO here who will be furloughed Oct. 1 if CARES is not extended.  

Sorry to hear about the furlough. 

Good to hear about the cargo ops. I am confused though, I thought the FAA issued an order that said that cargo couldn't be carried in the cabin for fire suppression reasons. Were airlines able to get that waived?

On 8/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, LKN704 said:

Sorry to hear about the furlough. 

Good to hear about the cargo ops. I am confused though, I thought the FAA issued an order that said that cargo couldn't be carried in the cabin for fire suppression reasons. Were airlines able to get that waived?

Some kind of waiver. Not sure the details or limitations.

• Like 2

Good news the airport is slowly rebuilding in flights and passenger growth.  Still way off but on the way up.  I still think CLT is rebounding much faster than most US airports which is good the region. 

From Biz Journal 

""Charlotte Douglas International Airport recorded another uptick in passenger traffic in July amid an ongoing pandemic that's put a crunch on flight demand. Nearly 2 million passengers — 1.99 million, to be exact — traveled through the airport last month, according to CLT's latest activity report released on Tuesday.  July marks another month in which passenger counts at Charlotte Douglas have improved. In June, for instance, 1.57 million people passed through the airport.  But traffic remains about half of what it was a year ago. In July 2019, there were 4.4 million passengers at CLT during what's typically a busy travel period in the summer.  As passenger counts increased at CLT, so did the average number of flights. Charlotte Douglas averaged 468 daily flights in July, up from 355 in the previous month. But that number was well off the 760 average in July 2019.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/08/26/passenger-traffic-improves-at-charlotte-airport.html

• Like 4

Good news the airport is slowly rebuilding in flights and passenger growth.  Still way off but on the way up.  I still think CLT is rebounding much faster than most US airports which is good the region. 
From Biz Journal 
""Charlotte Douglas International Airport recorded another uptick in passenger traffic in July amid an ongoing pandemic that's put a crunch on flight demand. Nearly 2 million passengers — 1.99 million, to be exact — traveled through the airport last month, according to CLT's latest activity report released on Tuesday.  July marks another month in which passenger counts at Charlotte Douglas have improved. In June, for instance, 1.57 million people passed through the airport.  But traffic remains about half of what it was a year ago. In July 2019, there were 4.4 million passengers at CLT during what's typically a busy travel period in the summer.  As passenger counts increased at CLT, so did the average number of flights. Charlotte Douglas averaged 468 daily flights in July, up from 355 in the previous month. But that number was well off the 760 average in July 2019.""
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/08/26/passenger-traffic-improves-at-charlotte-airport.html

Note that AA is drastically reducing the flying schedule beginning in September. Leisure demand is dropping off again now that summer is over and business travel is still mostly nonexistent. So it’s unlikely we’ll see any further increases for several months. CLT is still going to be a focal point for AA though and should be the primary hub for connections up and down the east coast and for the southeast so the airport will hopefully stay fairly busy. We’re definitely in better shape than nearly any other hubs.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TCLT said:

Note that AA is drastically reducing the flying schedule beginning in September. Leisure demand is dropping off again now that summer is over and business travel is still mostly nonexistent. So it’s unlikely we’ll see any further increases for several months. CLT is still going to be a focal point for AA though and should be the primary hub for connections up and down the east coast and for the southeast so the airport will hopefully stay fairly busy. We’re definitely in better shape than nearly any other hubs.

Devil Advocate: Virtual school and Work from home could remove the seasonality of leisure travel. Maybe?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, InTheYear2000 said:

Devil Advocate: Virtual school and Work from home could remove the seasonality of leisure travel. Maybe?

Booking are showing that isn't happening. People might be driving to their beach house or mountain house to work from there, but they aren't spending money on flights and hotels to spend their vacation in the Rocky Mountains sitting in a hotel room working on VPN. In addition, even a 10% boost in leisure travel this fall over last year wouldn't make up for the 80% drop occurring for business travel. 

Edited by CLT2014

I have a booking of a family in my beach condo and their kids are virtually learning so there was lots of questions about my internet service.  of course they are driving from Ohio.

I do believe some families will take advantage of travel in off peak as long as they have internet (no off the grid vacations now)  now whether they fly or not not sure. 

• Like 2

:offtopic:

I am certainly no expert, but the only positives I have heard about the N Charleston Boeing 787 plant are related to its low costs. To my uninformed ear it seems like construction there is incredibly sloppy and has been since it opened. (I do know Boeing’s issues extend well beyond a single plant).

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/boeing-pulls-eight-787s-from-service-over-structural-issue/

Edited by kermit