Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I'm flying into CLT in a couple hours so I’ll report back with construction updates/pics. 

Regarding Boeing, quite honestly I have no idea what’s going on in the back of house. I sold my stock last year in the aftermath of the MAX hoopla. Even the new CEO game out and said that the problems internally were worse then he had previously thought. I thought that their stink they made with the WTO concerning Airbus/Bombardier with the C Series/A220 was frankly childish and petty. 

I have started to go out of my way to try to book flights with Airbus equipment as of late. Airbus planes are more comfortable with their wider seats and aisles, and Airbus has a set seat configuration built in to their planes (9 abreast for A350, 8 for A330 etc). The 787 has what is probably the worse Economy configuration in the industry and I found the cabin to be extremely uncomfortable, especially during meal time. And I am no big guy, I am pretty lanky. 

I want to support Boeing. They truly are an American legacy and pioneered the jet age. But frankly they just seem to be a mess. 

Edited by LKN704

Nothing really new to report at the terminal that I have noticed.  

I noticed that they only added the new modern looking scaffolding on some parts of the old A Gates which I found bizarre.  

I also saw that they were doing construction on the extension to the E gates. The metal frame for the building seemed to be under construction.  I’m confused because the top of the frame seemed to be the same height as the existing concourse, but a brick exit stairwell shaft was also under construction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been to either personally, but from every travel show I have seen, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas seem to be the places Californians go to die. 

Seriously: I was at an airport two years ago that was showing "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" and they were in Cabo for an episode, and every restaurant was owned/staffed by Americans and the people they interviewed in the restaurants seemed to live there. 

I have a ton of Californian friends whose parents live there either full time or for a good chunk of the year. 

10 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I haven't been to either personally, but from every travel show I have seen, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas seem to be the places Californians go to die. 

The righteous case of food poisoning I got in Puerto Vallarta made this North Carolinian want to die. 

• Sad 2

I have been to Acapulco about 10 years ago with my friend from Mexico City.  It felt dated past its prime but it was still nice.  Back then when I went to the Walmart Supermercado and parked underneath the store I was greeted by security and police with automatic rifles.  And this is before the narco violence got even worse there.  I did stay in a villa with its private pool and breakfast was delivered each morning Las Brisas.     Acapulco seems more popular now with Mexican nationals than the international tourism destinations like Cabo or Cancun. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

AA is also adding FSD (Sioux Falls, SD) 1x daily on a PSA CRJ-700 starting 11/4.  A seasonal RAP (Rapid City, SD) flight has been around for a couple years, but I don’t remember any previous CLT-FSD flights.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/293451/american-airlines-w20-north-america-network-additions-as-of-30aug20/

Edited by cltcane
  • Like 3

Take a look at the new point to point routes we just announced.

9 hours ago, TCLT said:

It's pretty safe to assume that any service additions are aimed at getting people to/from a beach destination or a ski destination. That type of leisure travel is pretty much the only game in town right now so the networks are adapting to go get as much of that business as possible.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

It's actually a pretty logical add.  Similar to the Sioux Falls add,  it's aimed at demand from Appleton to Florida/Caribbean, etc... 

The evening departure from CLT and early morning return flight from Appleton work perfectly for that. 

Yep. It’ll be a nice option for folks in the Appleton and Green Bay CSAs (about 800,000 people). They’ll be able to skip that Chicago connection 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kermit said:

^ weird winter season add? Is there a big ice-fishing tourism business that I don't know anything about?

They're doing this for me so I can make it to Lambeau for the winter months. Green Bay in January is absolutely worth the pilgrimage for any football fans wanting to travel to Mecca. GPG!

• Like 3