Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

2 hours ago, CraigslistPapi said:

Would love a JetBlue or Southwest expansion in Charlotte. Doubt it’ll happen though...

B6 could add back JFK, other than that maybe FLL. 

SW added DEN and STL temporarily. Wish they would add STL permanently, but other than that not sure what is viable. Maybe TPA or MCO?

• Like 1

The DEN add is permanent and starts later this year. Going forward, I could see Southwest adding STL/MCI/MSY, but that's about it. They really aren't adding LAS/PHX-East Coast destinations anymore like they used to so I doubt they would be interested in adding them. There is little incentive for them to add CLT-Florida IMO. AA and the LCCs have the market covered. CLT is also relatively closer to Florida than the RDU area is-not by much but I am willing to bet that it makes a difference in folks choosing to drive vs fly. 

The B6 adds in general are gutsy IMO, and not just the RDU ones. LAX-CHS/RIC for example are both crazy to me, especially in this economy. Larger markets on the East Coast don't even support LAX service. SFO-CUN twice daily is also crazy. United doesn't even do that, and they are the ones with the hub in SFO. 

Launching daily service from RDU to both CUN and MBJ is wild. I am sure they will launch the routes, but I expect it to be curtailed to Saturday only service, especially MBJ. 

3 hours ago, LKN704 said:

The DEN add is permanent and starts later this year. Going forward, I could see Southwest adding STL/MCI/MSY, but that's about it. They really aren't adding LAS/PHX-East Coast destinations anymore like they used to so I doubt they would be interested in adding them. There is little incentive for them to add CLT-Florida IMO. AA and the LCCs have the market covered. CLT is also relatively closer to Florida than the RDU area is-not by much but I am willing to bet that it makes a difference in folks choosing to drive vs fly. 

The B6 adds in general are gutsy IMO, and not just the RDU ones. LAX-CHS/RIC for example are both crazy to me, especially in this economy. Larger markets on the East Coast don't even support LAX service. SFO-CUN twice daily is also crazy. United doesn't even do that, and they are the ones with the hub in SFO. 

Launching daily service from RDU to both CUN and MBJ is wild. I am sure they will launch the routes, but I expect it to be curtailed to Saturday only service, especially MBJ. 

All the carriers are doing 'throw at the wall and see what sticks' scheduling to try and get some leisure routes to places that are easy to get to, and where US Citizens are allowed. Look for more crazy route announcements while they're trying to keep planes in the air. If people can't vacation somewhere 'exotic' maybe a direct flight to CHS or MBJ is a draw, especially as the colder weather comes.

• Like 2

This is off topic but I assume some following this thread are interested in private aviation...

I have a complex instrument rating but haven't flown since my partner wrecked our 210 (no injures not his fault). I'm thinking of getting my ifr proficiency back. Can anyone recommend an airport, ideally with ils, and an instructor? I take a medication on the prohibited list so can't fly w/o an instructor at the moment.

Edited by elrodvt

11 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

This is off topic but I assume some following this thread are interested in private aviation...

I have a complex instrument rating but haven't flown since my partner wrecked our 210 (no injures not his fault). I'm thinking of getting my ifr proficiency back. Can anyone recommend an airport, ideally with ils, and an instructor? I take a medication on the prohibited list so can't fly w/o an instructor at the moment.

Concord might be your best bet.  I think they actually have several different flight schools there.  

• Like 4

Thanks Guys. Rock hill looks like a nice option for me. The flying club has decent inventory and the wet prices are about right for the mythical $100 hamburger.  ;-0

@xapostrophe once we get covid tamped down some more I'll PM you. Thank you for the offer!

I have to say the prohibited meds list is pretty draconian. Not like i'm flying around with 200 people or anything!

• Like 2

On 9/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, elrodvt said:

Thanks Guys. Rock hill looks like a nice option for me. The flying club has decent inventory and the wet prices are about right for the mythical $100 hamburger.  ;-0

@xapostrophe once we get covid tamped down some more I'll PM you. Thank you for the offer!

I have to say the prohibited meds list is pretty draconian. Not like i'm flying around with 200 people or anything!

I have been looking at building hours on the north side of CLT, any recommendations there?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

AA is going to resume Montrose/Telluride this winter, and start Jackson Hole WY and Bozeman MT. 

Bozeman is a daily 738, whilst Jackson and Montrose are Saturday only A319s. 

Surprised EGE (Vail) hasn't resumed. US used to do CLT-EGE for years with a 752.

It's exciting to see these additions despite the condition of the airline.   

28 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

AA is going to resume Montrose/Telluride this winter, and start Jackson Hole WY and Bozeman MT. 

Bozeman is a daily 738, whilst Jackson and Montrose are Saturday only A319s. 

Surprised EGE (Vail) hasn't resumed. US used to do CLT-EGE for years with a 752.

Me: "Oh wow! CLT - Jackson nonstop! That would be awesome."

5 minutes later: "@#@!.... $1,785 to fly coach to Jackson!"

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Me: "Oh wow! CLT - Jackson nonstop! That would be awesome."

5 minutes later: "@#@!.... $1,785 to fly coach to Jackson!"

Check back in a week or so. You can't really pay attention to the fares posted as soon as a new route has been announced as airlines haven't entirely opened up all of the inventory for the route. 

Interesting note on these adds, AA axed the BOS startup to CSO. I do not believe that it is served from PHX, but I could be wrong. I think this sets CLT apart from the mentality that it is a "north-south" connecting hub. Hopefully more west coast adds to come (AKA bring back TUS, ABQ, etc) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, csweet said:

Interesting note on these adds, AA axed the BOS startup to CSO. I do not believe that it is served from PHX, but I could be wrong. I think this sets CLT apart from the mentality that it is a "north-south" connecting hub. Hopefully more west coast adds to come (AKA bring back TUS, ABQ, etc) 

By CSO you mean Jackson, right? But yeah I noticed that as well. Ultimately it makes more sense IMO to swap the flight from BOS to CLT as you'll capture more traffic. At present, AA only does CLT/ORD/DFW/LGA. 

AA recently announced Philly-Palm Springs. I would suppose Philly makes more sense as I am willing to bet there is more Northeast-Palm Springs traffic flows rather than Southeast-Palm Springs flows. I could see AA resuming both TUS/ABQ on a seasonal basis for right now. IIRC, both routes were extremely low-yielding and essentially ate up a free aircraft for most of the day but honestly I don't think AA cares too much at this point and is just looking to turn a profit in any way they can. 

Kalispell/Glacier Park (FCA) would be another logical add.

I don't know for certain as I am not well versed in the technical side of things, but CLT-JAC may need to be flown with a AA-vintage A319 (rather than an old US Airways/America West A319) of which there are only a certain number in the fleet, and are also used on some South American turns. The AA A319's have better short-field performance IIRC. The AA A319s are equipped with winglets and an in-seat entertainment system. Not only is Jackson a high altitude field, but IIRC the runway there is quite short, around 6000 feet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Check back in a week or so. You can't really pay attention to the fares posted as soon as a new route has been announced as airlines haven't entirely opened up all of the inventory for the route. 

You were right, thank you! It is already down to $407 nonstop. 

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

By CSO you mean Jackson, right? But yeah I noticed that as well. Ultimately it makes more sense IMO to swap the flight from BOS to CLT as you'll capture more traffic. At present, AA only does CLT/ORD/DFW/LGA. 

AA recently announced Philly-Palm Springs. I would suppose Philly makes more sense as I am willing to bet there is more Northeast-Palm Springs traffic flows rather than Southeast-Palm Springs flows. I could see AA resuming both TUS/ABQ on a seasonal basis for right now. IIRC, both routes were extremely low-yielding and essentially ate up a free aircraft for most of the day but honestly I don't think AA cares too much at this point and is just looking to turn a profit in any way they can. 

Kalispell/Glacier Park (FCA) would be another logical add.

I don't know for certain as I am not well versed in the technical side of things, but CLT-JAC may need to be flown with a AA-vintage A319 (rather than an old US Airways/America West A319) of which there are only a certain number in the fleet, and are also used on some South American turns. The AA A319's have better short-field performance IIRC. The AA A319s are equipped with winglets and an in-seat entertainment system. Not only is Jackson a high altitude field, but IIRC the runway there is quite short, around 6000 feet.

Apologies, I do mean Jackson Hole. But great points on PHL's adds and why the western routes got axed. IMO, the product should be superior for these longer flights, but given the history out of CLT, I would love be surprised if we see the America West 319's flying these routes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Did the centurion lounge ever open? Just realized I couldn't recall hearing that it had.

Yes, it opened (briefly) in late February, and I had a chance to visit a few days later.  Amex just announced that they will be slowly reopening lounges starting in early October, but a reopening date hasn’t been set for CLT.

• Like 1

I was in the lounge the day before it was closed due to Covid. The space is quite nice, and I think the CLT has the nicest bathrooms domestically in the entire CL system. Great views as well of Uptown and the E Concourse. 

I predict that CLT likely be one of the last lounges to reopen (along with those in MIA, IAH, DFW). By reopening PHL and SEA first, I am assuming they are choosing to reopen locations that have a somewhat better grasp of COVID than others. I don't think they can legally open LGA right now because of food/beverage restrictions put in place by NYS. I would expect that LAX/SFO are likely the next two lounges to reopen, maybe including PHX/LAS.

• Like 1