Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 11:07 AM, csweet said:

I definitely agree with you, I don't think PHL is going anywhere. Just curious what it's domestic future looks like. The 787 base at PHL proves that these leisure destinations are not going anywhere, but the MUC shift to CLT goes to show that these business routes could switch. Thanks for your insight!

I looked at the DOT's approval of the partnership betweeb AA and JetBlue and it revealed some unexpected details, including the fact that there is at least some level of schedule coordination and revenue sharing permitted. I didn't realize the partnership was going to be that deep. That makes heavier usage of JetBlue at JFK for connections more likely.  I still think AA is going to prefer pushing customers to PHL, but I don't think that preference is going to be as strong as I thought before given what is going to be allowed with JetBlue.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:42 AM, KJHburg said:

I like this crown out front.  

IMG_1724.JPG

I find this to be such a grotesque use of public funds, so as to necessitate an investigation by the comptroller's office.  To me, this looks nothing like a crown.  It appears to be the feature at the base of my food processor that rotates and liquifies produce.  I bristle at the thought of how these funds could have been better spent.  

• Like 1

I agree it is extremely ugly and frankly I don't see it as a crown. 

However, I love public art, and I wish the airport did something else for the entrance roadway rather this ugly sign. I love the light towers at LAX, and I also like the flag pole sculptures at Houston Intercontinental. I also like the big metal sculpture installed on BGP in 2012 for the DNC, and I wish they could have installed maybe 5 or so of those on the entrance roadway. 

I like the most recent commissions on the refurbished A/B/C gates. Public art in airports should be colorful and somewhat futuristic/utopian, and I think the recent commissions installed are both. Nellie Ashford's work (https://www.cltairport.com/airport-info/airport-art/art-installations/nellie-ashford) on the A Concourse is quite nice. 

I'm looking forward to projects by Dixie Friend Gay (International Arrivals hall) and Catherine Widgery (Underground Tunnels) in the terminal refurbishment project. 

RNO is an interesting add. I wonder how it will perform. Tucson and Albuquerque didn't work from CLT (Tucson was tried twice) and I would consider them to be peer-markets of RNO. I suppose its chances of succeeding are probably higher given that the US is going through a national park frenzy right now and folks are "discovering" that places like Glacier/Yosemite actually exist. 

Still beyond shocked that Kalispell/Glacier wasn't added, which to me makes more sense. 

18 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

RNO is an interesting add. I wonder how it will perform. Tucson and Albuquerque didn't work from CLT (Tucson was tried twice) and I would consider them to be peer-markets of RNO. I suppose its chances of succeeding are probably higher given that the US is going through a national park frenzy right now and folks are "discovering" that places like Glacier/Yosemite actually exist. 

Still beyond shocked that Kalispell/Glacier wasn't added, which to me makes more sense. 

RNO isn't a bad add, it's the best entry point for Lake Tahoe.