Jump to content

Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

That pricing is just temporary since it is a new add.  It should go down to reasonable levels by the end of the today/early tomorrow.

If you have any AA miles, you can get it as low as 10K miles each way which is a great deal for that route.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From today. The crown sign and testing the lights on the signage this evening. 

The new CLT entrance sign/structure is quite big. 

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

AA is starting service to Sámana, DR from CLT. Will be the first Caribbean destination not served from MIA but from CLT...brand new destination for AA 

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/American-Airlines-Becomes-the-Only-US-Carrier-with-Nonstop-Service-from-Miami-to-Tel-Aviv-and-Paramaribo-Suriname-NET-RTS-02/default.aspx

Not only that.  It will be the only US destination with service to Samana, DR (AZS).   It will operate on Wednesdays and Saturdays on an Embraer E175.  

First will run from 6/5 to 8/14 and it is planned to come back winter 2021.

 

Additionally from this past weekend's updates:

 

Marsh Harbor, Bahamas (MHH) is being resumed.  It will operate daily 6/3 to 8/16 with a Canadair Crj700.  I believe this is the first time it will be flown since Hurricane Dorian.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the proliferation of leisure/charter carriers serving AZS, and given that the route is being served via CLT, I’m guessing that AA likely has some sort of contract with resorts in the region regarding the flight where they specifically requested CLT. Such contracts are not uncommon. US used to have one for a flight from Phoenix to Guaymas on behalf of the Club Med resort there. The flight ended when the resort closed IIRC.

AA will be the only major global network carrier serving the airport. Air Canada Rouge, WestJet, Eurowings (Lufthansa’s leisure subsidiary), a Russian charter company, and a Spanish charter company are presently the only airlines serving AZS. AA used to serve the route via their San Juan hub years ago with an ATR. Unsure if it was ever tried via MIA. 
 

The province looks quite lovely IMO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/American-Airlines-Becomes-the-Only-US-Carrier-with-Nonstop-Service-from-Miami-to-Tel-Aviv-and-Paramaribo-Suriname-NET-RTS-02/default.aspx

Not only that.  It will be the only US destination with service to Samana, DR (AZS).   It will operate on Wednesdays and Saturdays on an Embraer E175.  

First will run from 6/5 to 8/14 and it is planned to come back winter 2021.

 

Additionally from this past weekend's updates:

 

Marsh Harbor, Bahamas (MHH) is being resumed.  It will operate daily 6/3 to 8/16 with a Canadair Crj700.  I believe this is the first time it will be flown since Hurricane Dorian.

Sadly it's still totally obliterated. The new control tower that opened just a few years ago is not repaired.   The trees are still all dead and barren.   It's sad.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/American-Airlines-Becomes-the-Only-US-Carrier-with-Nonstop-Service-from-Miami-to-Tel-Aviv-and-Paramaribo-Suriname-NET-RTS-02/default.aspx

Not only that.  It will be the only US destination with service to Samana, DR (AZS).   It will operate on Wednesdays and Saturdays on an Embraer E175.  

First will run from 6/5 to 8/14 and it is planned to come back winter 2021.

 

Additionally from this past weekend's updates:

 

Marsh Harbor, Bahamas (MHH) is being resumed.  It will operate daily 6/3 to 8/16 with a Canadair Crj700.  I believe this is the first time it will be flown since Hurricane Dorian.

CLT to AZS in an E175 sounds brutal as does CLT to MHH in a CRJ (Although this flight is relatively short iirc). I assume MHH is operated by PSA but who operates AZS?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, a2theb said:

CLT to AZS in an E175 sounds brutal as does CLT to MHH in a CRJ (Although this flight is relatively short iirc). I assume MHH is operated by PSA but who operates AZS?

I prefer the E175 over a A319 or A321. Just 2 people per row, but still plenty of head room, big windows, room for the carry on bag, boards quickly, and has plenty of space. If you are flying with a significant other, you don't have to share the row with a stranger and can guarantee you won't be in a row with a 6 foot 3 250 pound man. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 11:15 AM, elrodvt said:

I was excited about JAC until I saw the ripoff pricing. 2K round-trip? 

It's now $390 r/t.

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I prefer the E175 over a A319 or A321. Just 2 people per row, but still plenty of head room, big windows, room for the carry on bag, boards quickly, and has plenty of space. If you are flying with a significant other, you don't have to share the row with a stranger and can guarantee you won't be in a row with a 6 foot 3 250 pound man. 

Love it and the E-190 (which are now parked in a desert somewhere).

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I prefer the E175 over a A319 or A321. Just 2 people per row, but still plenty of head room, big windows, room for the carry on bag, boards quickly, and has plenty of space. If you are flying with a significant other, you don't have to share the row with a stranger and can guarantee you won't be in a row with a 6 foot 3 250 pound man. 

No in seat power! *ducks*

 

I can agree with that though. The narrowbody lobby has brainwashed me into thinking that all RJs are bad and I need 3x3 configuration. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Republic has a subfleet of E175s equipped with life vests (which are necessary to operate the route) and IIRC the subfleet is also equipped with in-seat power as well or is progressively being installed. 
Ditto to what was said above, I would take a flight on a E-Jet (or a PSA CR9) over mainline any day. PSA also has a CR9 subfleet with in-seat power as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Any idea what kind of cargo goes from here to Qatar?

Given all the manufacturing in NC perhaps pharmaceuticals, lightweight technology, aircraft parts. Could be a lot of things. 

From EDPNC website

NC Top Export Commodities NC Top Export Markets = Nominal $ Industrial Machinery - $5.30B Pharmaceutical Products - $5.13B Aircraft, Spacecraft and Parts - $3.15B Electric Machinery - $2.79B Plastics - $1.47B Vehicles and Parts - $1.33B Misc. Chemical Products - $1.32B Optic or Medical Instruments - $1.11B Meat - $1.01B Cotton, Including Yarn and Woven Fabric - $871M Other - $10.8B

Top Export Markets:  Canada - $6.63B Mexico - $3.78B China - $3.25B France - $2.63B Saudi Arabia - $1.93B Japan - $1.11B Netherlands - $1.08B Germany - $902M Belgium - $901M Honduras - $892M $25B Other - $11.2B

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BarrenLucidity said:

Would love a direct doha flight from CLT. Opens up a lot of possibilities. Would love it even more if they were third freedom flights.

The 773 is such a beautiful plane too, I would guess that they would send a 35x if this were to happen.

Another personal request, seeing some 77W/773 come through CLT on AA 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, LKN704 said:

Republic has a subfleet of E175s equipped with life vests (which are necessary to operate the route) and IIRC the subfleet is also equipped with in-seat power as well or is progressively being installed. 
Ditto to what was said above, I would take a flight on a E-Jet (or a PSA CR9) over mainline any day. PSA also has a CR9 subfleet with in-seat power as well. 

All of the PSA CRJs should be getting power.  Including the 700s.  They were in the process of this when I left PSA.

50 minutes ago, csweet said:

The 773 is such a beautiful plane too, I would guess that they would send a 35x if this were to happen.

Another personal request, seeing some 77W/773 come through CLT on AA 

With the 330s retired, the 777s have replaced them.  CLT is now a 777 base.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

AA actually had a passenger 77W flight last week that was an equipment sub on a DFW turn. I believe the plane operated DFW-CLT-DFW. 
 

I am very curious to see CLT’s passenger numbers in comparison to other airports, given that AA did not cut as much from CLT as opposed to other carriers from their respective  hubs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

for the above we need a WOW button can't believe how good we compare in a terrible  year for air travel.

any word yet on those NYC airports? 

NYC has only calculated air traffic through October. As of October though:

JFK was down 72.4% to 14.6 million
Newark was down 65.3% to 13.3 million
La Guardia was down 71.9% to 7.3 million

JFK and EWR will probably not crack 20 million based on those trends.  

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the statistics above, I am guessing CLT was the 6th busiest airport in the US in 2020 (Chicago hasn't released their statistics IIRC but it'll be larger than CLT's). 

Heathrow only reported 22.1 million passengers. I predict airports in Asia will be hit even harder, particularly HKG. I wouldn't be surprised to see CLT be in the top 10-15 busiest airports worldwide. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

Suggestion: Make this a general airport update thread and then make a separate thread for expansion updates and construction photos? This is a very active thread and I love y'all's enthusiasm for aviation, I just personally come for the construction updates and feel that they should be separated., plus the site will need an airport thread after the expansion is finished anyways. 

THIS is a great idea!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.