Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...

Another week.  Another new route loaded for CLT!

This time FCA (Glacier Park/Kalispell, MT).  Correctly predicted by LKN704 a few pages back!

Operating Saturday only June 5th through September 4th with an Airbus A319.

Leaves CLT around 11am with a return flight leaving FCA at 3pm arriving in time for connections into the 10:30pm bank.  

Also worthy of note.  DL will be adding a 2nd daily SLC flight beginning April 11th.   A 6:35pm departure, also on a Boeing 737-800.  Very likely in response to the 2x daily flights that AA has been operating on CLT-SLC.  

• Like 4

As expected!

Strange it is Saturday-only. I was expecting a daily service at the very least. Apparently AA is also looking at CLT-COS, however they strangely view Colorado Springs/Denver as one market and believe their current service to Denver is appropriate for the market. Odd, as that is almost like saying Charlotte/Greensboro are the same market. I wouldn't be surprised to see it added anyways, however, likely with an E175. 

I don't believe that the 2nd daily SLC flight is a direct response to AA. AA has been 2x daily on SLC for a couple of years now. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 8:20 AM, LKN704 said:

Apparently AA is also looking at CLT-COS, however they strangely view Colorado Springs/Denver as one market and believe their current service to Denver is appropriate for the market. Odd, as that is almost like saying Charlotte/Greensboro are the same market. I wouldn't be surprised to see it added anyways, however, likely with an E175. 

I don't see the benefit of AA serving COS out of Charlotte since its only an hour south of Denver and I would be willing to bet a majority of their traffic is related to outdoor activities west/Northwest of the city . CO Springs is lovely but there isn't much out that way aside from Pikes and the Air Force base. Does UA serve Charlotte and Greensboro out of Denver?

Edited by a2theb

44 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

This may be a silly question, but can someone explain to me the logic behind 5 lanes of terminal roadway with only one of those lanes appearing to have curbside access for dropping off?  

No different in any other major airport in the US. What I don't get is the continuation of the bottleneck leaving the terminal. It was one lane in 1983, it's one lane in 2021

• Like 2

An article on the importance of CLT to Charlotte's economy and how the city has grown along with the airport.

Also the picture gives an idea of how much the terminal lobby has grown (in this case lack thereof) since originally opening in 1982 and emphasizes the importance of the current terminal expansion project.

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/how-charlottes-economy-has-grown-alongside-its-airport/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

An update here from the past:

On 6/1/2016 at 3:28 PM, tarhoosier said:

I can easily remember this previous terminal. It is still here on the West Boulevard side or the freight side of the airport. Just drive in and you can see for yourself. I am the old guy with the memory here on the board so I can tell you about the Dogwood Room in the upper level where anyone (pre-TSA) could have a meal or drink and watch the airport traffic. Everyone walked out on the concrete and boarded by a rolling step contraption. In the terminal there were coin operated machines, looked like news paper vending, but were insurance policies for sale for your next flight. Covered death by airplane a flight at a time. For real. This was a smaller town and the air traveling public made a different proportion than today. Not unusual to see someone I knew at the terminal either traveling or working. The idea of earlier air terminals was built on the railroad stations of the time; porters with bright colored uniforms, desk agents, paper tickets, lots of paper punches and rubber stamping.

Now, back to this century, the idea of pride in the representation of the city through the air terminal was certainly there 50 years ago as it is now. The airport was/is "ours" in a larger sense. That is my impression.

Again, there was a central location in that terminal where all foot traffic was visible and seeing someone I recognized, or seeing someone else have that experience was common.  If there was some other food and drink option than the Dogwood Room I am unaware of it, but vending machines for sure. The parking area was almost nothing compared to today. Friend or family member took you and fetched you. That kind of town and that kind of time.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CLTaviation13 said:

QR is parking on D because AA has a 772 on the south cargo ramp spot. 

7CD96803-9C2D-42D5-B4F1-FFD100F4A6FD.jpeg

Here’s a good picture I took of Qatar departing yesterday.

94225E55-2AC3-47C5-8FCA-52067B0BD533.jpeg

Man I hope she becomes a regularly scheduled visitor.  She is a beaut.

Do you know why Qatar has been flying here lately?  Are they considering doing regularly scheduled runs?

BTW: QTR8198 is inbound from London Stansted

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BarrenLucidity said:

They're doing cargo runs right now but they also have a habit of changing cargo routes into full service routes.  Lots of the Fortune 500 companies have operations in India and end up on Qatar anyway via ATL/BOS/PHL, would make sense to have a route. 

One can dream, that 773 is a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

It's interesting that they keep sending a passenger variant to CLT, as IIRC they have a decent dedicated cargo fleet of 777s and 748s, but maybe there is not enough slack in the fleet to go around. I would imagine this would be the first time a 77W has physically parked at the terminal. 

Back to Piedmont, I always thought the level of nostalgia for the airline in North Carolina was quite interesting. I don't think any other state besides NC has a speciality license plate available for an airline. Granted I have never flown Piedmont, but I know a lot of people were saddened when they were acquired by US. Apparently their service was quite good, especially in Economy. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LKN704 said:

It's interesting that they keep sending a passenger variant to CLT, as IIRC they have a decent dedicated cargo fleet of 777s and 748s, but maybe there is not enough slack in the fleet to go around. I would imagine this would be the first time a 77W has physically parked at the terminal. 

Back to Piedmont, I always thought the level of nostalgia for the airline in North Carolina was quite interesting. I don't think any other state besides NC has a speciality license plate available for an airline. Granted I have never flown Piedmont, but I know a lot of people were saddened when they were acquired by US. Apparently their service was quite good, especially in Economy. 

It wasn't as good with USAir as it was with Piedmont.   Southwest is adored in Texas believe me but no special license plate I know of.   NC was proud of Piedmont has they flew jets to places like Kinston,  Wilmington, and all over the state.  Piedmont choosing Charlotte as the hub changed this city's growth pattern and supercharged this city and region above regional peers at the time. 

• Like 3

A scary developing story coming out of Nashville following the recent winter weather in mid February.

Another glimpse of how un-prepared southern airports and airport services can be to winter ops.  It seems the cause of this may have been a burst pipe at BNA, and the airport services provider tried to take a short-cut.  Could have easily ended in catastrophe.

• Like 2

I saw that yesterday and it made me think instantly of the Air Florida crash in DC in the 1980s. Props to the Frontier flight attendant for their quick thinking and for immediately calling the cockpit. 

I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of deicing. That said, I wonder if this type of near-incident would have occurred in an airport in say the Midwest/Northeast. I have frequently read that airports in the Southeast are ill-trained/ill-equipped to handle with widespread de-icing procedures. I recall an event a couple of years back at DFW where there were massive delays due to lack of suitable deicing equipment to go around to every airline that needed it. 

Come to think of it, I have never had to be deiced at CLT. What is the procedure? Does each airline own their own deicing equipment (as is common at Northeast airports...even smaller ones) or does CLT operate a deicing "pad" on the taxiways? 

• Like 2