Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

3 hours ago, turbocraig said:

That's a little shocking to me that they'd ditch BNA.   I would think that between entities like Nissan, Vanderbilt, HCA, etc., plus the tourism industry which, granted has been fairly nonexistent this past year but it's not going to be that way forever, that they'd be able to make a go of it and want to maintain a decent service level there.  Plus just being one of the hot "It" cities at the moment.   Interesting.

Nissan isn't in good shape at all, atm. 

12 hours ago, HopHead said:

Delta has always flown to the hub cities (Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Detroit, La Guardia) from Charlotte for as long as I can remember. What ever happens at RDU won't impact those destinations other than maybe frequency.  I think they had around 25 destinations (give or take) prior to the pandemic and many of those got cut like everyone else. Nashville has a pretty big operation for Southwest so perhaps that's why too.  Would rather JetBlue or Southwest open up more destinations here to drive prices down once traffic gets more normalized come 2022 and beyond. 

On a more related CLT topic, has the new air traffic control tower fully opened yet? I thought it was suppose to last year, but assume the pandemic pushed it back. 

The tower is not open.   Work nearly stopped on it.  Covid really messed that up apparently.  My friends who work in the tower say there's no timeline they know of.

16 hours ago, HopHead said:

On a more related CLT topic, has the new air traffic control tower fully opened yet? I thought it was suppose to last year, but assume the pandemic pushed it back. 

Both towers are being operated. Lots of testing has to occur before the old one is shuttered. Last I heard, it was to be decommissioned in late May. 

• Like 3

Are there any updated, publicly accessible plans/diagrams for how the automated people mover (APM) would be integrated into existing airport infrastructure/main terminal building?

I recall seeing older plans from LS3P from the early 2000s that had the APM running at ground level in between the daily deck and north parking lot, before ending at a station connected to the current Main Terminal Building. The plans also showed  a central "hub" station located where the soon to be decommissioned control tower that was connected directly to both Concourse E an what was then supposed to be a separate international terminal (now Concourse A North). This central "hub station" also had a hotel. 

I haven't seen anything about the APM since then, and so much has changed both at CLT and within the industry since then. I would imagine that the city would want the APM to replace shuttles to/from the existing daily decks/lots, as well as the long term lots, however I just don't see how everything would integrate, especially seeing how adverse the city seems to tunneling any sort of transit. 

Not about Charlotte but there are a few aviation experts here. SW just added MYR.  Do you think there's a chance they'd add AVL?

A long way off, but I was thinking about the explosive growth of the Wilmington-Myrtle Beach corridor...and imaging a single airport shared by both.  Southern Brunswick, near the proposed interstate.  It would easily justify more much more service.    Of course, it would a hugely expensive undertaking but int the longer term, much more efficient.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

Are you mostly a business traveler? If so I understand your perspective. However, as a  leisure traveler I totally disagree. I guess if it was ”a bit more” I could be convinced but it's not -  It's a lot more (at least it never is when I look for flights which arbitrarily isn't very scientific) . Plus if AA ever pulled out we have nothing to fall back on. They hold all the cards. .

Coming from Denver I know how it *could* work. They're an important location for United but a lot of other airlines fly from there and there is true competition as a result. Granted they have a geographic advantage that we'll never have but we could do a LOT better. 

• Like 1

Exactly. 

While highly, highly unlikely, AA would have no problems dropping everything in Charlotte and closing up shop if it was beneficial to their balance sheet. While one cannot discredit the billions in economic output AA provides to both Charlotte and North Carolina nor the amount of employees they have in Charlotte, airlines aren't a charity and don't provide an overabundance of flights to their fortress hub as a form of community service.

The city should absolutely have some sort of air service development program designed to attract both new carriers and new routes. I've read before that the city has been wary to run such a program to avoid stepping on US/AA's toes,  but other cities do not seem to have such fear. Both Atlanta and DFW have such programs (as do most airports). Dallas has also been open to giving out incentives to new/returning carriers. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Exactly. 

While highly, highly unlikely, AA would have no problems dropping everything in Charlotte and closing up shop if it was beneficial to their balance sheet. While one cannot discredit the billions in economic output AA provides to both Charlotte and North Carolina nor the amount of employees they have in Charlotte, airlines aren't a charity and don't provide an overabundance of flights to their fortress hub as a form of community service.

The city should absolutely have some sort of air service development program designed to attract both new carriers and new routes. I've read before that the city has been wary to run such a program to avoid stepping on US/AA's toes,  but other cities do not seem to have such fear. Both Atlanta and DFW have such programs (as do most airports). Dallas has also been open to giving out incentives to new/returning carriers. 

I wonder how much Atlanta and DFW put into their programs financially each year.  It's possible that Charlotte is just too of hard of a sell with so little un-served current demand.  I don't have extensive knowledge in the area, but perhaps the gains of attracting new service simply don't offset the costs.  In their current states,  I'm sure it's much easier to sell Atlanta or DFW for new air service than CLT.  The higher air travel demand in ATL and DFW make it much easier for them to be comfortable putting money into air service development.  CLT is a very unique situation.

Not that they should be, but I imagine Charlotte is content keeping costs low to please AA rather than spending it on attracting new air service.  The city has also put in quite a bit of money with the new terminal lobby expansion and A North expansion.  Which could also factor in.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

I wonder how much Atlanta and DFW put into their programs financially each year.  It's possible that Charlotte is just too of hard of a sell with so little un-served current demand.  I don't have extensive knowledge in the area, but perhaps the gains of attracting new service simply don't offset the costs.  In their current states,  I'm sure it's much easier to sell Atlanta or DFW for new air service than CLT.  The higher air travel demand in ATL and DFW make it much easier for them to be comfortable putting money into air service development.  CLT is a very unique situation.

Not that they should be, but I imagine Charlotte is content keeping costs low to please AA rather than spending it on attracting new air service.  The city has also put in quite a bit of money with the new terminal lobby expansion and A North expansion.  Which could also factor in.

Unfortunately I doubt that data is publicly available. However, just last fall DFW announced that an additional 16 million dollars was pumped into their existing air service incentive program to cover landing/operational fees at DFW. I think they give funds to the carrier as well to help promote the new service. 

But I agree I really don't know what the city would be going after if they did have such a program. The only logical non-AA adds I can think of are United to San Francisco (actually surprised this one hasn't come to fruition given the growth of their hub there) and possibly JetBlue or Delta to LA. Alaska has apparently taken a look at Charlotte numerous times but they have found that there wasn't room for another carrier on CLT-SEA. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Unfortunately I doubt that data is publicly available. However, just last fall DFW announced that an additional 16 million dollars was pumped into their existing air service incentive program to cover landing/operational fees at DFW. I think they give funds to the carrier as well to help promote the new service. 

But I agree I really don't know what the city would be going after if they did have such a program. The only logical non-AA adds I can think of are United to San Francisco (actually surprised this one hasn't come to fruition given the growth of their hub there) and possibly JetBlue or Delta to LA. Alaska has apparently taken a look at Charlotte numerous times but they have found that there wasn't room for another carrier on CLT-SEA. 

I think Alaska entering One World/code sharing with AA greatly improves our chances of Alaska finally starting Seattle-Charlotte.  Granted, I've thought the same thing about British Airways and that hasn't worked out thus far..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TCLT said:

What "new" air service should CLT be going after though. There's next to nothing another airline can add that AA doesn't already fly. So I'm not sure what incentive the airport has to seek out other airline service. And the passenger traffic is only 20% local which isn't a huge slice of the pie for other airlines to come in and bleed money to fight for. If another airline starts service that poses any significant threat to AA's local nonstop market share, AA can offer absurdly low rates on the offending CLT-XXX city pair. Since AA has such a huge hub operation, it's likely only a small fraction of their plane is filled with passengers on that city pair, while another airline probably has a much larger percentage of such passengers since they carry little to no transfer passengers through CLT. AA can easily make a nonstop route grossly unprofitable for another airline while taking a minimal financial hit and merely wait until the other airline throws in the towel and abandons the service. For that reason it's highly unlikely you'll see any significant other airline expansion beyond their own hub cities.

And CLT2014's point is also really really important. CLT wouldn't be the world's 4th largest hub if we had robust inter-airline competition here. And Charlotte wouldn't be attracting Fortune 100 HQ's without the large hub.

Spot on. AA becomes loss leaders on any route that a competitor attempts to install until it no longer makes financial sense for a their competitor to continue.

Don't think we will ever see another mainline sink their claws in here unless AA pulls back at some point. I however do think we will see more B6 service with the JV and the possibility of AS service (namely CLT>SEA) as they roll into Oneworld but I think it'll be on AA metal. I also unfortunately don't see any LCCs increasing service here since they aren't already here and we aren't a leisure destination.  

Some time back, there was some data that CLT had the most significant airline monopoly of large airports with AA running something like 75%+ of the flights. Does anyone remember those statistics? Where's a reference librarian when you need one. 

AA controls about 90% of CLT’s traffic.

Ontario starts 6 May and is now loaded into the schedule. Evening departure from CLT, redeye departure from ONT back into CLT. 

AA's Munich flight now does not operate for Summer 2021 and instead is planned to resume 25 September. Madrid resumption has been pushed back to 3 June...same restart date as Dublin. Frankfurt still appears to be bookable on 6 May but I cannot find the flight on AA.com...it only shows up for booking on Google Flights by booking with British Airways as BA 1555. It's only bookable on AA.com after 3 June as well, so I am guessing it's getting pushed back. Ditto for the second daily London flight...between  6 May and 3 June it's only bookable via British Airways, so I am guessing that is getting pushed back too. 

In regards to Munich, with business travel as low as it is right now, and given that Lufthansa likely has the home-advantage (I would bet that the flight is heavily skewed from the German POS, or at the very least, from the POS of German firms who likely would give preference to Lufthansa over AA) and seems committed to restart flights this summer, there really isn't room for two carriers in the market. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 2