Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

The C Renovation was complete in 2019 IIRC. 

The "split" you refer to on the E Concourse is essentially AA's shoddy way of crowd control. Instead of everyone waiting at each individual gates, some gates now have a central waiting area with the old gate areas now closed/off limits with stanchions. Once your flight has started boarding you proceed through the stanchion into the now off-limits gate area and to your gate. 

First-generation regional jet concourses (Pittsburgh's Concourse E, Cincinnati's Concourse C, the old E Gates in Salt Lake City, etc) operated like that. United Express gates in Dulles and Houston still operate like that...there could be more. In all of these instances everyone had to wait in a central waiting area (like an upmarket bus station). Then once boarding was called you scanned your boarding pass and proceeded through a door which led to a long corridor where you were essentially on your own to find another door which would lead to your plane. 

They don't seem very conservative with their timeframes. I would guess that the terminal expansion would not be open until 2032. Regardless, AA is planning around 650 departures from CLT this summer, which is almost near the 2019 peak of roughly 700 departures/day. 

Curiously, the Charlotte Observer says that 22 gates will be added to B, and 13 will be added to C. I am not sure if that is a misprint as I don't think it would be possible to add 22 gates to B. 

I do believe the concourses will also be widened as well. My gut feeling says that they will also figure out a way to physically "raise" the ceiling height somehow too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LKN704 said:

They don't seem very conservative with their timeframes. I would guess that the terminal expansion would not be open until 2032. Regardless, AA is planning around 650 departures from CLT this summer, which is almost near the 2019 peak of roughly 700 departures/day. 

Curiously, the Charlotte Observer says that 22 gates will be added to B, and 13 will be added to C. I am not sure if that is a misprint as I don't think it would be possible to add 22 gates to B. 

I do believe the concourses will also be widened as well. My gut feeling says that they will also figure out a way to physically "raise" the ceiling height somehow too. 

Both B and C will branch out in addition to being widened. Not sure about making the ceiling taller. I think the long term plan for FIS involves elevated walkways.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BarrenLucidity said:

Both B and C will branch out in addition to being widened. Not sure about making the ceiling taller. I think the long term plan for FIS involves elevated walkways.

I know they are going to be branched out...what I am saying is I think the exact number of gates provided by the CO must be off. There is no way they can construct a finger at the end of B long enough to add 22 gates to the west of the concourse without significantly disrupting the taxiways around the area (unless of course that area will be reconfigured). I believe several carriers also park aircraft (RON) overnight in that space. 

The lower C gates will indeed eventually get a second level (somehow) containing a secure corridor that will lead directly into the present FIS area.

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I know they are going to be branched out...what I am saying is I think the exact number of gates provided by the CO must be off. There is no way they can construct a finger at the end of B long enough to add 22 gates to the west of the concourse without significantly disrupting the taxiways around the area (unless of course that area will be reconfigured). I believe several carriers also park aircraft (RON) overnight in that space. 

I agree, and cannot find anything that backs up the Observer's 22-gate statement.  The airport's Destination CLT page says 8-10 (https://cltairport.mediaroom.com/destination-clt)

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 5:45 AM, teeg said:

I agree, and cannot find anything that backs up the Observer's 22-gate statement.  The airport's Destination CLT page says 8-10 (https://cltairport.mediaroom.com/destination-clt)

I would suspect they mean that it will be 22-gates between both the B and C expansion. 

Also, note that they will be removing 4 gates from the end of D and 8 gates from E as part of the taxiway expansion.  The 8 gates from E will include the "dog leg" extension of gates 14 and 16 they added just under 2 years ago.  It's interesting to as how quick that will be demo'ed.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

I would suspect they mean that it will be 22-gates between both the B and C expansion. 

Also, note that they will be removing 4 gates from the end of D and 8 gates from E as part of the taxiway expansion.  The 8 gates from E will include the "dog leg" extension of gates 14 and 16 they added just under 2 years ago.  It's interesting to as how quick that will be demo'ed.

Definitely 11 additional gates for B and C. 

That is very interesting, is D still going to be the international entry point after this? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

I've heard there's talk of a new admirals club going in above the atrium food court. TBD. 

That would be interesting. I don’t know where the space would come from though. There is a USO Lounge up there, which itself used to be a British Airways lounge. 

A lounge there makes little sense IMO seeing as they already have a lounge on B and a lounge on C. They would be better off putting one on D or E. 

5 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

That would be interesting. I don’t know where the space would come from though. There is a USO Lounge up there, which itself used to be a British Airways lounge. 

A lounge there makes little sense IMO seeing as they already have a lounge on B and a lounge on C. They would be better off putting one on D or E. 

I agree.  The aforementioned location doesn't seem logical, but Charlotte is in desperate need of a 3rd lounge and perhaps it is the only space available for the foreseeable future.

Once DCA opens it's new AC in the new concourse.  Every other hub except for JFK (ORD, DFW, MIA, ORD, LAX, DCA, PHL, and PHX) will have at least 3 lounges (between standard Admirals Clubs and International Flagship Lounges).

• Like 1