Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

19 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

As a resident of Gaston County, we need better roads before we open that Gateway door!!!  Stop moving here for just a little while longer (Yeah Belmont - I'm talkin' about ya)!!!

Clover resident also agrees.   321 needs to be made into an interstate before we keep growing this fast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Flew on Southwest (or as I say Southworst...I personally hate open seating and the cattle call process) out of A North back to DC. 

They are definitely doing some work on A North Phase II. Plenty of construction equipment in the area and there is a huge pile of dirt scattered everywhere. 

• Like 3

On 5/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, LKN704 said:

I agree. It's funny and all now that I have seen the skit but for a government-owned entity that should be tasked with increasing brand awareness for both the airport and the city it just seems...well, backwoods. 

I would argue that Twitter is a platform that doesn't need to be completely buttoned up.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

You can always go to the Upper Deck of the Hourly Deck to take some pictures and view the roadway/terminal lobby construction project. It's free to park there for an hour. 

The overlook is also open and has a nice view of A North. 

Edit: The Russian hacking incident on the pipeline is poised to create major delays for AA at CLT. CLT-LHR and CLT-HNL both have scheduled fuel stops this evening, in Boston and Dallas, respectively. The company is apparently exploring the idea of up-gauging several AA Hub-CLT flights to 777s and fully load them with fuel where upon arrival into CLT the fuel would be siphoned out and stored. 

I see the stop on the hnl flight, but not the egll flight.   I haven't seen any internal communication about a fuel issue in Charlotte, yet.

40 minutes ago, xapostrophe said:

I see the stop on the hnl flight, but not the egll flight.   I haven't seen any internal communication about a fuel issue in Charlotte, yet.

Looks like tonight was able to go nonstop but the flight tomorrow has the Boston tech stop. I suppose it could change.

1609716123_Image5-10-21at22_33.thumb.jpg.0e2000af1b5c7431149d5746aeb90f29.jpg

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

As part 2 to my Hawaii post.  On 5/8 I flew on HNL CLT.  Instead of a mixed snack box the box we received this time had a small turkey and cheese sandwich with some kind of (Buffalo?) spread on it and some dried snap peas.  Not as much variety, but more of a meal(ish) and the second drink service with Biscoff cookies like the outbound leg.  Still no alcohol served.  

Unfortunately, I did not get Main Cabin Extra, but in retrospect should have.  Even though it was a row with 2-4-2 my legs were almost touching the seat back in front of mine when sitting straight up (I’m only 5’10”).  

The 777-200 interiors are rather dated (aside from updated seats/personal entertainment systems) and I had mechanical  delays on both my flight to and from HNL.  On my landing video (at around the 55 second mark) I pan over and you can see a loose (rubber?) piece next to the flaps.  I’d assume it isn’t a noteworthy incident, but I have never seen a loose piece like that while flying before.  

While landing you can briefly see where they are clearing land for A North part 2 right before touchdown.  

Please enjoy these pictures from Honolulu airport.  Despite feeling outdated on the inside and (and dead due to almost all shops/restaurants still being closed.  All pictures are from inside security, a large portion of the terminal is open air.   The scenery is some of the best you will see.

*The first video link didn't upload properly, therefore I added a working one at the bottom.  (you will have to download it).

As an aviation enthusiast. I also apologize for cutting the landing footage short, but I was exhausted by the end of the flight and the landing was very shaky.  When I thought the footage was getting too sloppy, I just ended the video.  

Love the open-air HNL airport. I know it isn't for everyone (my parents hated Hawaii because they said everything reminded them of the 70s and 80s) but the terminal, like much of the infrastructure on the islands, oozes this nice 1970s charm. 

Indeed some of the 772s are quite old at this point...the oldest active 772 is actually older than the oldest A333 that was retired last year. I believe the first delivery was in Early 1999. Regardless, even with 10 across, the Y seating on these planes is more comfortable then the newest 787s that are being delivered with the slimline seating. 

That snack box is pitiful and reminds me of the "snacks" you used to get on short 90 minute flights pre-9/11. Then again pre-COVID AA was serving a similar sandwich box on their ORD/DFW-Hawaii flights so I guess it isn't that much of a surprise. No foreign competition so they can essentially serve whatever they want in the back. 

Nice video at the end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Love the open-air HNL airport. I know it isn't for everyone (my parents hated Hawaii because they said everything reminded them of the 70s and 80s) but the terminal, like much of the infrastructure on the islands, oozes this nice 1970s charm. 

Indeed some of the 772s are quite old at this point...the oldest active 772 is actually older than the oldest A333 that was retired last year. I believe the first delivery was in Early 1999. Regardless, even with 10 across, the Y seating on these planes is more comfortable then the newest 787s that are being delivered with the slimline seating. 

That snack box is pitiful and reminds me of the "snacks" you used to get on short 90 minute flights pre-9/11. Then again pre-COVID AA was serving a similar sandwich box on their ORD/DFW-Hawaii flights so I guess it isn't that much of a surprise. No foreign competition so they can essentially serve whatever they want in the back. 

Nice video at the end. 

I haven't flown on the 787 yet, but from what I've read and heard,  I would have to agreement with your sentiments towards it.  Personally, I think one of the most unfortunate outcomes of the AA/US merger was the cancelation of the A350 order (and later departure of the 330s).  Just all around more comfortable planes than the 777/787.

Unfortunately, on this flight, it didn't help that the person in front of my fiancée's seat elected to recline their seat shortly after departure from HNL and kept it that way until putting it back up for arrival into CLT.  Makes for a long 8 hours.  

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I still don't know why there isn't an interstate quality on ramp onto 85. Could be interstate grade hwy from Charlotte to Hickory.

I totally agree with this statement, but I think @xapostrophe is advocating turning US 321 (York Hwy) in to an interstate hwy from the SC line up to I-85.

1 hour ago, CltFlyer said:

Lufthansa uses "The Club ATL" as their business class lounge in Atlanta, so I assume this will be there lounge in CLT as well.  I wonder what space they are looking into.  I believe there may be space for a lounge in A North Part I.

This would be awesome to have. If they are catering to Lufthansa and Int'l travel, A North does not make sense. Maybe this is in the plan for the lobby expansion?

• Like 2

Very interesting. The rendering of the dining space makes it appear that the club will be quite large, and considering they are partnering with a decent architectural firm and giving the lounge its own "local" distinct design makes me think this has been in the works for a while, especially if the opening date is by the end of this year. 

I don't think there is space for that big of a lounge opposite the Starbucks in A North, but I could be wrong. 

My best guess is the lounge will be built on the mezzanine level of the Atrium somewhere. 

• Like 2

It definitely does sound like it's been in the works for a while.  The mezzanine level of the atrium makes sense, but if the rumor of another Admirals Club going there is accurate.  I would think it would have priority, but it's possible that rumor was related to the "The Club CLT" the entire time.  This would explain the proximity to the C/D lounge and be central enough for pax flying any airline at CLT to use (including LH business class).  The only other existing spaces I can think of are the A North Part I, The Plaza (across from the Centurion Lounge?) and the new E concourse expansion (obviously not going there).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

It definitely does sound like it's been in the works for a while.  The mezzanine level of the atrium makes sense, but if the rumor of another Admirals Club going there is accurate.  I would think it would have priority, but it's possible that rumor was related to the "The Club CLT" the entire time.  This would explain the proximity to the C/D lounge and be central enough for pax flying any airline at CLT to use (including LH business class).  The only other existing spaces I can think of are the A North Part I, The Plaza (across from the Centurion Lounge?) and the new E concourse expansion (obviously not going there).

I'm sure if one did some digging you can probably find a permit for the lounge somewhere which would probably specify its location. I did a quick lackadaisical search on the City website and couldn't find anything. 

2 hours ago, #1Son said:

I totally agree with this statement, but I think @xapostrophe is advocating turning US 321 (York Hwy) in to an interstate hwy from the SC line up to I-85.

You are correct. From 321/ridge road intersection all the way to 85.  The area here and towards lake Wylie has grown so much we need some relief on 49.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 4:24 PM, CltFlyer said:

August 13, 2019:

Thank you for visiting The Club CHS. We hope you enjoyed your stay. CLT, your home airport, is certainly a location where we hope to open a Club in the future.

We appreciate your interest and your feedback.

Edited by cltcane
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Interesting insight into CLT'S future.  Is AA expanding  domestic service to build capacity for future international service?

https://simpleflying.com/american-hubs-strategy/amp/

AA is expanding domestic service because that's where the demand is with the pandemic still suppressing international and business travel. AA is focusing on CLT specifically because it produces above system average unit revenue and margins. It is also perfectly geographically positioned to serve sun markets which currently have the highest demand. This isn't a precursor to CLT becoming a major international gateway. It's just building the existing strength of the domestic hub. CLT will eventually return to being a minor seasonal gateway to Europe, but don't expect more than that in the near term.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Frankly SimplyFlying is almost like a tabloid magazine for the airline industry and everything they print should be taken with a grain of salt. 

All carriers (not just AA) are adding new routes and expanding to where Americans are actively traveling to at present. I would wager that recent route additions may not have occurred so quickly if it wasn't for the pandemic. Once things "reset" and return to normal it's anyones guess if recent additions stick or are dropped as what makes sense in a pandemic world might not make sense in 2-3 years.  For example, take the new Ontario flight. Apparently loads right now aren't the best (https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1391567697620705284). That might not be sustainable in the long-term. 

AA's CRO Vasu Raja essentially said yesterday that the company pre-COVID did a lot of "strategic" flying (I read that a prestige, vanity flying) that wasn't profitable and post-COVID they will be focusing on leveraging their strengths and utilizing their JV partners. CLT didn't have a lot of intercontinental flying anyways so it isn't really noticeable, but I doubt Barcelona will return. Frankly I only see Paris resuming (and maybe Rome), although not on a 772. 

5 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Frankly SimplyFlying is almost like a tabloid magazine for the airline industry and everything they print should be taken with a grain of salt. 

All carriers (not just AA) are adding new routes and expanding to where Americans are actively traveling to at present. I would wager that recent route additions may not have occurred so quickly if it wasn't for the pandemic. Once things "reset" and return to normal it's anyones guess if recent additions stick or are dropped as what makes sense in a pandemic world might not make sense in 2-3 years.  For example, take the new Ontario flight. Apparently loads right now aren't the best (https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1391567697620705284). That might not be sustainable in the long-term. 

AA's CRO Vasu Raja essentially said yesterday that the company pre-COVID did a lot of "strategic" flying (I read that a prestige, vanity flying) that wasn't profitable and post-COVID they will be focusing on leveraging their strengths and utilizing their JV partners. CLT didn't have a lot of intercontinental flying anyways so it isn't really noticeable, but I doubt Barcelona will return. Frankly I only see Paris resuming (and maybe Rome), although not on a 772. 

Paris could only return on a 772. They aren't going to allocate a 787 to CLT and they don't have any other wide bodies now. CLT is a 777 base and they 100% aren't going to put a 773 here. 

Munich, Frankfurt, Dublin, etc. will return. Barcelona will return as it is a One World hub. 

The real question is will CLT get new international routes such as to ATH? If we were to expand it would be to other hubs such as HEL or DOH. At the end though I would put money on no. Not as long as PHL has a ton of capacity and JFK exists. They might also expand DCA a bit but after CLT.