Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Traffic is indeed way down.  IIRC United’s Houston hub is reporting load factors in the 40 percent range and I believe AA’s system-wide load factor next week is only in the 50 percent range. 

You better believe that there are about to be cuts. Business travel simply hasn’t come back and likely won’t until the mask mandate goes away. Speaking to people I know, the vast majority of people don’t want to have to wear a mask on their 7 hour Boston-San Francisco flight. It’s a 100% a first world problem but that is the reality at present. Coupled with that, the low vaccination rate, and the increase in cases and you have a trifecta of trouble that is about to create all kinds of havoc at airlines. I don’t believe you will see anything drastic, but I am betting there will be plenty of close-in frequency cuts ahead. 

The new façade will be amazing when complete.

The additional lanes for drop-off and pick-up help but we still have the same limited amount of curbside so the traffic is still a mess at times. 

So many cars all jockeying for the right hand lane that many people just stop in any lane (including far left) and black all the traffic.

I only hate that the A terminal extension did not have its own pick-up drop-off as a separate terminal.

Maybe someday in the future we can hope for that and have so much more curbside for drop-off and pick-up.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, midtownclt said:

The new façade will be amazing when complete.

The additional lanes for drop-off and pick-up help but we still have the same limited amount of curbside so the traffic is still a mess at times. 

So many cars all jockeying for the right hand lane that many people just stop in any lane (including far left) and black all the traffic.

I only hate that the A terminal extension did not have its own pick-up drop-off as a separate terminal.

Maybe someday in the future we can hope for that and have so much more curbside for drop-off and pick-up.

What I’ve noticed at some airports I’ve been is they have a median, to where there can be a separated drop off. One in the middle and then on the right…only thing is people would still have to cross over

5 minutes ago, davidclt said:

Pictures from the inside really give a perspective on just how much space they are adding!

Also, that was a very interesting video on the mobile lounges at IAD.  They were largely before my time,  I didn't realize they played such a vital role.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 9:57 PM, tozmervo said:

Has anyone heard if the airport, like other employers, is having a particularly hard time hiring staff for ground crew and the like?

Yes. It's one of the main reasons there are still concessionaires that remain closed (Pret a Manger, Starbucks at B security, Shake Shack, etc).

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 5:38 PM, Miesian Corners said:

Yes. It's one of the main reasons there are still concessionaires that remain closed (Pret a Manger, Starbucks at B security, Shake Shack, etc).

The fact that they can't staff the Starbuck there is mind boggling...and they permanently closed the one between D/E and will now be a Dunkin.   That Starbucks at security always had the longest lines.  They could pay staff $40/hr and still be making money hand over fist.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

The fact that they can't staff the Starbuck there is mind boggling...and they permanently closed the one between D/E and will now be a Dunkin.   That Starbucks at security always had the longest lines.  They could pay staff $40/hr and still be making money hand over fist.

The one by B security was open 24hrs for years. Crazy it's been closed so long now. 

Even chick FIL a is closed several days a week.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, LKN704 said:

That isn't confirmed yet. A new terminal head house containing baggage claim and ticketing is indeed in the plans for the A North gates, it just isn't clear when this will be built.

I do know the Phase II expansion is costing significantly more than the Phase I expansion, but I am not sure if they just adjusted the cost for inflation or because they will additional projects built into the expansion.

Phase 2 will (from outside) look like someone too phase one and copied and pasted it twice. It's twice as big. But there could be other things as well, not denying.