Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

12 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

Also, there was a water main break near the airport causing most restaurants to close early (around 7pm) and even the Centurion Lounge had to close for a period of time.  It also limited bathroom usage.

A friend who is a flight attendant for AA said that they were being told to make onboard PA announcements to advise everyone to use the lavatory onboard if needed as they wouldn't be guaranteed an operable restroom in the terminal. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 3

Delta put out a press release today highlighting their planned NYC growth (likely to counter the rise of the AA + JetBlue partnership) and specifically called out Charlotte as a key-market from the region that was due to see an increase in frequency starting next month. Today, Delta flies to JFK thrice daily on Embraer E-Jets, and to LGA five times daily, also on E-Jets. 

While mainline is still off (I believe CLT-JFK was all mainline on Delta pre-COVID), JFK jumps to five daily flights next month, and LGA goes to seven flights daily, for a total of 12 daily flights to the city's airports. 

Sadly, CLT-SLC loses the second daily flight starting next month.

11 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Delta put out a press release today highlighting their planned NYC growth (likely to counter the rise of the AA + JetBlue partnership) and specifically called out Charlotte as a key-market from the region that was due to see an increase in frequency starting next month. Today, Delta flies to JFK thrice daily on Embraer E-Jets, and to LGA five times daily, also on E-Jets. 

While mainline is still off (I believe CLT-JFK was all mainline on Delta pre-COVID), JFK jumps to five daily flights next month, and LGA goes to seven flights daily, for a total of 12 daily flights to the city's airports. 

Great news for CLT, any chance we see larger aircraft?

I find it so strange that they are removing the second daily right before ski season....

On 10/19/2021 at 9:52 PM, LKN704 said:

Not sure if this has been reported here but DL is also increasing their BOS frequencies from 3/day to 4/day, I assume this is to further compete with AA. DL will have 40/day out of CLT within the next few months.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, csweet said:

I would love to see AM add a MEX flight to CLT. The Volaris flight has been extremely successful, which led to AA adding GDL flights a couple years back. 

I'm not one to typically celebrate routes being cut, but Volaris has won the hypothetical war!

The last AA flight from CLT to GDL is on 12/15.  Hopefully, once they are able to increase frequency again, this gives them some room to grow to 3-4 weekly.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

are those the Delta gates or is Delta staying in the old A concourse?  I can't keep up with it anymore.  

Phase 2 will be the new Delta gates.  AA will take over the rest of the old A concourse.  The original renderings showed a Delta Sky Club in the expansion as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Really wish there were a new curbside check in around A.

It really feels like a missed opportunity. Who is going to want to rush from this end to something like E on a short layover? It's already a trek just from B to E. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

A-North will be Delta and Concourse E is 100% American so there should be few to no connections between these two rival airlines that don't codeshare. At many airports, rival airlines are even in completely separate terminals where you would have to re-clear security to get between them. In the off chance somebody booked a one-way on Delta connecting to a one-way on AA with a short layover, we are actually relatively easy with everything being behind one security checkpoint. People shouldn't book short layovers on separate tickets anyhow. If you miss your separate airline connection due to the first airline being late, the second airline can just charge you walk up fare pricing for being a no-show or be completely sold out with no obligation to take care of you. 

The main benefit of a separate check in area would be a shorter walk to the gate for O&D passengers on the non-AA airlines at CLT like United, Southwest, Delta, Frontier, et... The principal downside as an airport would be losing operational synergies. For example, Frontier is the only airline in Course A-North that operates a flight after 8PM, about an hour after the less batch of Delta flights. A-North is a ghost town largely at that hour and CLT closes down security check point A at 8:15. The Frontier passengers can go through check point B though with AA passengers and still get to their gate. If the check in area was separate, CLT would need to have 4 - 5 TSA agents available until 9:15PM, to get just 180 people through security for one loan Frontier flight. For the parking lots, you'd have to either increase the amount of buses to have some dedicated to each terminal or make it slightly longer for AA passengers by having a stop at Terminal A first, unload people, load on more people, et...

While that is true, its a relative nuisance for a Delta passenger to have to get dropped off at the main drop off, then walk all the way to A North. It also seems to limit the ability to expand A North even further. Most airports would have a separate Terminal for A (which would still allow for all the gates to be behind security).

• Like 3

The original plans for the A North Gates displayed a two-level headhouse containing a departure level with four check-in islands/rows (major international airports no longer build terminals with the long line of check-in desks spanning the building as seen in the current CLT terminal) and an arrivals level with baggage carousels. I can try and look for the plans when I get home later. 

I believe this is still the long-range plan, I just am not sure when it would come to fruition. I’m also not sure how it would be laid out physically given the terminal approach road is so close to the A Gates.