Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

43 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

It's a nice drive from BTV to Montreal and Burlington is a great place to spend a weekend in the summer. Clt to btv is direct twice daily I believe. Still I wish for a direct Montreal also. One of my favorite cities to visit in NA. Want to go up for the F1 race sometime.

"I flew CLT to Burlington last year at the end of summer. Beautiful area of the country (not far from where my profile pic is brewed too lol). We were there probably a few weeks too early for the fall foliage. Definitely plan to head up there again. "

First time in Burlington VT was a few days in Autumn prior to Montréal visit. Hotels were T-O-U-G-H to find. Finally found a room at The Essex east of Essex VT, a resort, spa and culinary school center:  $$$$ 

What I learned: Fall weekends in Vermont are popular with visitors from all over the eastern US. 

I have returned several times to rent a car and buy my vacation liquor for my week or so in Québec. Plus a day or two in BTV area.

Another lesson learned on such a later trip: driving through the Eastern Townships of Québec (L'Estrie) we crossed into the US at a minor road crossing point and were moved into the border control building while an officer inspected our documents and forced us to stay with him while his partner searched our car and all belongings and bags. A full shakedown. I made a minor protest and was met with full creeping authority response so I obeyed my wife and shut up and intensely examined the rear inside wall of the building. During the time we were there, twenty minutes or so, not another car passed in either direction. Bored officials are troublesome officials.

You have been advised. Take the main crossings. More traffic but faster process.

(I have made a US-Canada crossing many times, road, rail and air, and the US officials have ALWAYS been more trouble than their Canada counterparts.)

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I flew CLT to Burlington last year at the end of summer. Beautiful area of the country (not far from where my profile pic is brewed too lol). We were there probably a few weeks too early for the fall foliage. Definitely plan to head up there again. 

I used to live in Montreal and would fly out of BTV or Plattsburgh quite frequently. With everything going on now, driving across the border has been much easier than flying!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, csweet said:

I used to live in Montreal and would fly out of BTV or Plattsburgh quite frequently. With everything going on now, driving across the border has been much easier than flying!

The flight to/from NY or VT is domestic so cheaper than an international of just a short distance longer, usually. Also none of the immigration/customs/border issues at an airport. A drivethru crossing is far simpler for a person with no prior issues. SEE BELOW. Total time for air landing, rental car procurement and drive with short crossing stop is perhaps the same as flight in to airport in Canada and large numbers in the airport arrivals entry hall, depending on other entry flights, and usual lines and checkpoints and then baggage claim and exit to taxis or other transportation then drive to destination point. Cost of flight difference may cover car rental for stay. YMMV.

NOTE: DUI  is a felony equivalent in Canada. Entry may(will) be denied at the border for such persons. This is for any crossing; water, rail, road, air. I know someone who had this happen to him. He thought the warning applied to others but it most definitely applied to him.

http://bordercrossing.ca/canada-dui-entry-2019-changes/

7 hours ago, JBS said:

New air traffic control tower is apparently beginning service today. The location of the old one is one of the few places where a new hotel makes sense even in this age of uncertain business travel. I hope it's big and beautiful and not a budget brand.

Wait - just today? I though that thing went into service like two years ago. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BarrenLucidity said:

A nice hotel between two parking garages. 

That would be on par for Charlotte though.  

In all seriousness.  This is a very common thing with airport hotels, even nice ones.  See the Grand Hyatt at DFW concourse D as an example.  It's literally surround by the terminal on 3 sides.

Dallas / Fort Worth Airport Hotel in Terminal D | Grand Hyatt DFW

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

That would be on par for Charlotte though.  

In all seriousness.  This is a very common thing with airport hotels, even nice ones.  See the Grand Hyatt at DFW concourse D as an example.  It's literally surround by the terminal on 3 sides.

I was going to say the same.  It's not super uncommon.  The Hilton at O'Hare or Marriott at PHL are what first came to mind and they're sandwiched between two garages or garage/terminal.

• Like 1

I don't think the location of the hotel is bad...the vast majority of airport hotels aren't in the most aesthetically pleasing locations. Airport hotels are very much function over form. 

On property hotels also add a huge overlooked benefit to the local airport: conference space. I've gone on many business trips where the "trip" simply involved meetings at the airport hotel conference center. 

I do hope that the brand is is somewhat upscale (Westin, Grand Hyatt, Renaissance) but I have a feeling its going to be a low to mid-market brand like Courtyard or HGI. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

I don't think the location of the hotel is bad...the vast majority of airport hotels aren't in the most aesthetically pleasing locations. Airport hotels are very much function over form. 

On property hotels also add a huge overlooked benefit to the local airport: conference space. I've gone on many business trips where the "trip" simply involved meetings at the airport hotel conference center. 

I do hope that the brand is is somewhat upscale (Westin, Grand Hyatt, Renaissance) but I have a feeling its going to be a low to mid-market brand like Courtyard or HGI. 

I like the idea of a Grand Hyatt if my work is paying... but prefer the idea of a Courtyard if I am paying, haha! Not looking to drop $350 a night to stay in a hotel at an airport on my dime!

• Haha 1

Having spent many a nights at airport hotels in places like Atlanta, Boston, Chicago and Dallas these places only ever served 3 purposes: 1) team meeting space where everyone flew into that city because it was convenient and usually cheaper 2) Stuck overnight because of a flight delay/cancellation 3) have an early flight the next morning and didn't want the hassle of getting an Uber/taxi at 5am from within the city ... I think if someone is in Charlotte for business or pleasure (unless you're paying for that) you're not going to be staying at the airport. I don't think you'll see anything high end. Maybe a full service Marriott/Hilton type at best. But like others said, probably more likely a Courtyard/Garden Inn. The location of this where the old control tower is currently at is perfect though 

2 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Taking an informal survey of other on-airport hotels in the US and Canada, I would expect a full-service, mid-market hotel (Hyatt Regency, Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, etc) at minimum. If Pittsburgh's airport can support a Hyatt Regency I'm not sure why CLT can't either. 

-ORD: Hilton (connected to terminals via an underground walkway)

-MCO: Hyatt Regency (in the main terminal atrium)

-PIT: Hyatt Regency (connected to terminal via moving walkway)

-SFO: Grand Hyatt (connected to the International Terminal and other terminals via Airtrain)

-IAD: Marriott (physically on airport property but one must take a shuttle to access the terminal)

-EWR: Marriott (physically on airport property but one must take a shuttle to the Airtrain to access the terminal...a royal PITA)

-DFW: Hyatt Regency and Grand Hyatt

-YVR: Fairmont (attached to the US Departures area)

-DTW: Westin (attached to DL terminal)

-DEN: Westin (attached to terminal via walkway)

-MSP: Intercontinental (attached to terminal and even has its own security checkpoint...very nice hotel)

-TPA: Marriott (connected to terminal)

-YUL: Marriott (connected to terminal)

-YYZ: Sheraton (attached to Terminal 3)

-IAH: Marriott (linked to terminals via underground tram)

-PHL: Marriott (on airport property but accessed via shuttle)

-MIA: No-name Miami International Airport hotel (connected to terminal)

-JFK: TWA Hotel (more of an aviation geek resort, but a hotel is a hotel)

-YYC: Marriott (connected to terminal)

Awesome info and FWIW this place looks awesome:

https://www.twahotel.com/

Thanks!

• Like 2

Marriott operates the main full service airport hotel for Charlotte-Douglas right now with the off-site Sheraton. Hilton's DoubleTree brand also operates a full service hotel designated as an airport hotel. Both are tired properties though in 30+ year old buildings and despite being full service, many of the lesser brands like Hilton Garden Inn and Hyatt House are newer / cleaner stays near the airport. If an on-site airport property was available, I think either Marriott or Hilton would jump on the chance to protect being the main full service brands for CLT airport. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Marriott operates the main full service airport hotel for Charlotte-Douglas right now with the off-site Sheraton. Hilton's DoubleTree brand also operates a full service hotel designated as an airport hotel. Both are tired properties though in 30+ year old buildings and despite being full service, many of the lesser brands like Hilton Garden Inn and Hyatt House are newer / cleaner stays near the airport. If an on-site airport property was available, I think either Marriott or Hilton would jump on the chance to protect being the main full service brands for CLT airport. 

Both properties are still loads nicer than the dumps AA puts stranded pax in during IROPS. I'd love to know what hotel this is:

https://twitter.com/LeslieDehaven71/status/1495856571234013199?s=20&t=RMxxAMKcJHISVOYNLgNGIg

I know when AA covers a hotel you essentially get sent a link to a site that allows you to choose from a couple different options. I know US used to send pax to the Red Roof Inn on Queen City Drive.

News from the other international airport in NC. 

speaking of Montreal RDU will get their Air Canada flight restarted this June.

""Welcome to Montreal! Starting June 1, enjoy the only nonstop service to Montreal (YUL) from RDU with Air Canada. Tickets are on sale now!""

Also the only nonstop flight ever from NC to Iceland starts May 12 four times a week.  Since RDU's flights to London and Paris are still suspended they expect a lot of people to connect on Icelandic to Europe.

Icelandair CEO expects strong demand for RDU-Iceland nonstop - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Both properties are still loads nicer than the dumps AA puts stranded pax in during IROPS. I'd love to know what hotel this is:

https://twitter.com/LeslieDehaven71/status/1495856571234013199?s=20&t=RMxxAMKcJHISVOYNLgNGIg

I know when AA covers a hotel you essentially get sent a link to a site that allows you to choose from a couple different options. I know US used to send pax to the Red Roof Inn on Queen City Drive.

Back in August I got very fortunate and AA put me and my fiancee up at the newly re-branded Hilton Charlotte Airport.   It was recently re-branded from the Renaissance Charlotte Suites.  

It was still under heavy renovation, and the room they put us in wasn't renovated yet, but all in all it was a lot more than what I was expecting.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210602005309/en/Atrium-Hospitality-Debuts-Newly-Branded-Hilton-Charlotte-Airport-Featuring-Multimillion-Dollar-Hotel-Renovation

• Like 1