Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

3 hours ago, csweet said:

Would make sense, that is a massive taxiway extension. Linking to that northend taxiway, the pad for A phase II seems to be almost complete. 

4UNTBO3SCBANJJGRPLUXPYFORM.jpg

I'm completely out of the loop on this, so forgive me. What is that terminal-looking building South of the current ones? It's highlighted in blue just like the current terminals and right next to the big word "Airside". As far as I can tell that building doesn't exist right now?

• Like 2

I'm completely out of the loop on this, so forgive me. What is that terminal-looking building South of the current ones? It's highlighted in blue just like the current terminals and right next to the big word "Airside". As far as I can tell that building doesn't exist right now?

It’s a proposed satellite concourse. Would most likely house the regional ops and free up the space Concourse E takes for a new mainline concourse and additional widebody gates. But I’m not aware of any more specific plans and pretty sure it’s largely conceptual for the time being.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TCLT said:

It’s a proposed satellite concourse. Would most likely house the regional ops and free up the space Concourse E takes for a new mainline concourse and additional widebody gates. But I’m not aware of any more specific plans and pretty sure it’s largely conceptual for the time being.

Thanks. That would be pretty cool. I wonder if they would plan some sort of tram to accompany that, along with presumably an underground walkable tunnel. Similar to Atlanta.

Thanks. That would be pretty cool. I wonder if they would plan some sort of tram to accompany that, along with presumably an underground walkable tunnel. Similar to Atlanta.

Underground people mover would be the plan. Various past iterations of terminal master plans included turning the Destination CLT bump outs of B and C into a parallel satellite terminal as well down the road and eliminate the current B and C concourses. That would get CLT closer to the layout style of ATL or DEN and that would also tie in to the underground people mover.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Miesian Corners said:

I wrote an email to the CLT airport about the sorry state of the new terrazzo flooring on Concourse C. I got no response, but arriving back home yesterday, I noticed the worst sections were roped off and had been re-sanded. Sometimes it pays to be the squeaky wheel.

If they really made cosmetic changes to the terrazzo as a result of your email, that's amazing they are responsive to customer feedback.

At the same time, if the sanding was only done as a result of customer feedback (and not by some internal quality control team), it's somewhat concerning that the airport/city is willing to just accept and overlook the poor state of repair of ___ (insert terrazzo, rest rooms, etc)...when clearly they have the means and financial resources to correct a half-ass job. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LKN704 said:

If they really made cosmetic changes to the terrazzo as a result of your email, that's amazing they are responsive to customer feedback.

At the same time, if the sanding was only done as a result of customer feedback (and not by some internal quality control team), it's somewhat concerning that the airport/city is willing to just accept and overlook the poor state of repair of ___ (insert terrazzo, rest rooms, etc)...when clearly they have the means and financial resources to correct a half-ass job. 

It's amazing just how much worse the flooring is on C compared to A and B. And I still don't understand (and can't get an answer from the airport) as to why carpeting, signage, and seating haven't been upgraded on D and E.

As for what *might* be the airport's response to my email, I took photos and attached them to my message--that's really the only reason I think someone actually read it (the re-sanding was being done only to the sections from the images I sent). 

10 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

It's amazing just how much worse the flooring is on C compared to A and B. And I still don't understand (and can't get an answer from the airport) as to why carpeting, signage, and seating haven't been upgraded on D and E.

As for what *might* be the airport's response to my email, I took photos and attached them to my message--that's really the only reason I think someone actually read it (the re-sanding was being done only to the sections from the images I sent). 

Concourse D is perplexing to me because they went and added new pendant lighting to the space...which I would believe to be more costly and labor intensive than adding new signage and seating. They also re-painted the ceiling and the steel trusses (still cannot believe that was the hot architectural style for airports 20 years ago...looks like a Costco now). 

I would imagine they are waiting until the new E pier opens before doing anything to E. 

Edited by LKN704

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Concourse D is perplexing to me because they went and added new pendant lighting to the space...which I would believe to be more costly and labor intensive than adding new signage and seating. They also re-painted the ceiling and the steel trusses (still cannot believe that was the hot architectural style for airports 20 years ago...looks like a Costco now). 

I would imagine they are waiting until the new E pier opens before doing anything to E. 

I actually don't hate the interior design of D and E.  I like the open feeling you get with the steel truss design.  Having said that.  It would not look good with the renovations they did for A, B, and C, and would much prefer the open design they went with for A North.  I'm really hoping that is how the B and C extensions turn out.

During the initial design phase of the terminal lobby expansion.  They were going to go with the steel truss design.  Very glad that didn't come to fruition.  I much prefer the design they went with.  So much more natural light.  Even with the canopy.

On another note.  Does anyone know the story/reason behind of why all of the expansions since D concourse have had blue roofs?  We seem to be the only airport in America to opt for a "non traditional" blue roofing as a opposed to the grey, beige, or brown roofing found on seemingly every other airport terminal new or old.

Edit- I know the final design of the terminal expansion doesn't have a blue roof, but the A North Expansion does as well as the E expansions.  

Charlotte Douglas International Airport Expansion, North Carolina - Airport  Technology

Door, parking closures at Charlotte Douglas International Airport | wcnc.com

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

I wrote an email to the CLT airport about the sorry state of the new terrazzo flooring on Concourse C. I got no response, but arriving back home yesterday, I noticed the worst sections were roped off and had been re-sanded. Sometimes it pays to be the squeaky wheel.

Well that went a lot better than my email to telltransit to get Google Maps to show the Lynx lines. Didn't get a response, AND nothing has changed. Mission accomplished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/26/2022 at 9:25 AM, LKN704 said:

Indeed, the original design with the exposed trusses looked cheap and messy. 

Of course, architectural style is all relative but I am glad we are somewhat over that phase. I think D/E look worse than most because they interlace a mess of HVAC piping along the trusses...it just looks like a huge interconnected spiderweb on the ceiling. 

Here's a before/after picture of the Concourse D lighting project for those who haven't seen it:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Between the pendant lights, the HVAC equipment, and the interlaced network of trusses...it's a dizzying mess IMO. 

Regarding the blue, the only thing I can think of is that it's a NC-inspired civic thing. I've noticed that a lot of NC civic and government buildings (schools, for example) also have blue roofs. 

The lighting truly changes the dynamic of Terminal D. As for the renovations, they are currently in the bid phase to renovate D as they expand customs/ connections to the new baggage claim. 

• Like 3

I believe only the opening date in this is news here:

And there’s some good news for fans of The Club. Knipp confirmed that the next new outpost to open, located in the Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT), will begin welcoming flyers later this month.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-sapphire-lounge-airport-dimensions-interview/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, kermit said:

I believe only the opening date in this (from the Points Guy today) is news (for Priority Pass folks mostly)

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-sapphire-lounge-airport-dimensions-interview/

It's great news for Amex Plat cardholders flying out of A who don't want to schlep all the way over to the Centurion Lounge. 

2 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

I imagine this will also be the new business class lounge option for Lufthansa passengers.  Lufthansa, along with several other carriers, use The CLUB ATL as their business class lounge in Atlanta.  

Which would mean they no longer have to embarrassingly give out the $20 food voucher to Business pax as a courtesy for not having a lounge in CLT. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Which would mean they no longer have to embarrassingly give out the $20 food voucher to Business pax as a courtesy for not having a lounge in CLT. 

It will be a Chase Lounge, more upscale than The Club and separate products. I would doubt they would give airline or competitive cardholder access. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Do you have a source that it is going to be a Sapphire Lounge? There is no Chase (or other) press release that indicates that. Every press release, along with the public facing signage on the construction walls, indicates it will be a standard pay-per-use The Club Lounge open to all...they even have the Priority Pass and Lounge Key on the walls.

It's common for international carriers to contract out lounge space at outstations...Lufthansa does it in Atlanta and British Airways does it at Baltimore (and did it at Charleston). According to their website, Lufthansa actually uses Capital One's lounge in Dallas. 

Ispacer.png

Sorry I read the points guy's article incorrectly.

You're right. Seeing the Priority Pass also opens it to Chase Card holders, but it's not a Chase branded lounge. It looks larger than The Club in Vegas, Atlanta or San Jose, which I've used.

• Like 1

Priority Pass lounges are all over the place (because they are all contracted out)...I'm been to really nice lounges; the Air France and Turkish Airlines lounges at Dulles, the Swiss Business Lounge at Zurich (since left the program), and the Star Alliance Lounge in Paris. On the other end of the spectrum, I went to a Priority Pass lounge in Bali years back that was essentially no different than waiting in the terminal, and nothing was free...not even bottled water. 

IME those operated by individual airlines are usually (but not always) better than the contracted no-name lounges. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1