Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I've posted these before, but I'll post them again because they provide a nice 3D rendering of all the Landside Terminal renovation components:

Bag Claim Walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j774vHtEC8&t=44s

"Queens Court" rendering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTbVqngNhNI&t=63s

Departures Curbside rendering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZIfqq_OPs

Rendering from Pedestrian Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMNmDizRQ&t=94s

Domestic Arrivals corridor with new automated exit lanes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg8zL3jSpuk

Ticketing Lobby rendering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HloRVMSTv0Q&t=93s

Security Checkpoint 2 rendering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HloRVMSTv0Q&t=93s

It looks like some ticket counters will be constructed where the current E Checkpoint (will become Checkpoint 3 presumably)/Terminal Expansion East is located. I recall there being space for counters there before, and I believe there is also a connection to the terminal baggage system. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

It looks like some ticket counters will be constructed where the current E Checkpoint (will become Checkpoint 3 presumably)/Terminal Expansion East is located. I recall there being space for counters there before, and I believe there is also a connection to the terminal baggage system. 

There are actually a few counters there now.

Volaris, Lufthansa (unless Lufthansa's main counters have re-opened), and any charter airlines currently use them.

In the 1960's (at least) Icelandair was well known among the younger set as the European airline that was not under fare regulation. One could travel to Europe, usually to Luxembourg or Amsterdam (as I recall) for a far cheaper price than the state owned flag carrier airlines or the US carriers. It required a stop in Reykjavik. The low cost and the large number of backpackers using this airline made it the "hippie" airline.  For those of us wishing of a European holiday it was a dream connection.

I was finally able to make my Iceland getaway nine years ago. If I had gone when I was 23 I may have never returned. An amazing destination. One can ride a bicycle from North America to Europe while there, among many dramatic and spectacular experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dude - I don’t fly much but have been very impressed with MCO And TPA International Airport’s.  The powers that be have spent a lot of money to make sure you realize that you have now ‘Arrived’ at some place important.  Tampa Airport Is freaking Gargantuan.  Destination CLT is a step in the right direction though… hopefully it’ll be nice once it’s completed in like 2030 lol….

Is Qatar Cargo still flying to CLT?  Or ever?  I may have dreamt it.  The absence of international cargo carriers to NC is curious.  I noticed that Columbus, OH is served by an impressive array of global carriers as is Portland, OR.  I thought NC was more at least as important a manufacturing center as Ohio and significantly  more so than Oregon.  Can someone educate me?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Is Qatar Cargo still flying to CLT?  Or ever?  I may have dreamt it.  The absence of international cargo carriers to NC is curious.  I noticed that Columbus, OH is served by an impressive array of global carriers as is Portland, OR.  I thought NC was more at least as important a manufacturing center as Ohio and significantly  more so than Oregon.  Can someone educate me?

Just guessing but I would bet the Charlotte region is a pretty poor airfreight market. Most of our manufactured goods are of the heavy variety, so other than shipping some urgent machine repair parts or prototypes most of our manufactured goods will go by slower modes.

The Columbus economy is a mystery to me (I think some pharma?), no idea what happens there, Portland does make a bunch of semiconductors which have a perfect value/weight ratio for airfreight and it functions as an important Asian distribution point.

I also gotta think that our hub is a disadvantage for freight, lots of crowded runways and aprons.

I dunno, would like to hear from more knowledgeable folks. 

Not Charlotte specific, but here is one of my favorite related bits of unverifiable economic trivia which explains the rise of airfreight in general. Very dated now, but I promise the trend has not reversed:

image.png.1a0be8ceba2c4229f58734d34214269a.png

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phillydog said:

I’m going to guess being the 7th busiest airport in the world - pre-pandemic at least - in terms of aircraft movements would make Charlotte an unattractive market to set up freight operations to a point where you’d see freight operations scale beyond what they are now. 

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Is seven dedicated gates for Delta an increase from current?

It's technically a reduction from present. 

Delta currently utilizes 9 gates; A1, A3, A5, A7, A9, A10, A11, A12, A13. Granted, I don't know if all of those gates are directly controlled by Delta or if some are city-controlled and common use. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Delta currently utilizes 9 gates; A1, A3, A5, A7, A9, A10, A11, A12, A13. Granted, I don't know if all of those gates are directly controlled by Delta or if some are city-controlled and common use. 

I believe A10 and A12 are common use gates. AA has flights to Miami, Tampa, et... out of those gates later today once Delta's schedule lightens after their early morning ~6AM departures to their hubs. 

23 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Correct, Delta controls gates A1, A3, A5, A7, A9, A11, and A13.

As mentioned above, gates A10/A12 are common use gates. Contour Airlines usually has 4 flights a day that go out of A10. AA schedules about 4 to 6 flights a day on A12.  Typically DL will always park planes overnight on A10/12 that go out the following morning.