Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

11 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Yes and no. Some of those things are outdated (Ex. Doesn’t depict the concourse E expansion) but some are still planned for. I wouldn’t say it is a perfect indication of where the airport is heading. Generally speaking it is somewhat the aim. Expansion of most concourses and addition of the longer parallel runway at the bottom and likely a fifth runway addition at the top there. Other facility and runway improvements may differ now than that image. Things may have shifted and changed a bit. This one may be more accurate, though things are constantly changing/adjusted at the airport.

I was under the impression that the concourse E expansion was basically intended as a temporary measure until the remote concourse was built, then most of E would be demolished. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Yes and no. Some of those things are outdated (Ex. Doesn’t depict the concourse E expansion) but some are still planned for. I wouldn’t say it is a perfect indication of where the airport is heading. Generally speaking it is somewhat the aim. Expansion of most concourses and addition of the longer parallel runway at the bottom and likely a fifth runway addition at the top there. Other facility and runway improvements may differ now than that image. Things may have shifted and changed a bit. This one may be more accurate, though things are constantly changing/adjusted at the airport.

The rendering you posted is simply Phase I of the airport's master plan. The rendering @Hushpuppy321 posted is the long-term, post Phase II plan. Concourse E expansion isn't on that long-term plan because Concourse E will eventually be demolished in favor of the midfield concourse. Obviously that plan is designed for 2035 and beyond, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. That said, given how cheap/conservative/financially savvy the airport is, the fact that they are constructing a tunnel for the APM at this stage indicates to me that they have every intention of proceeding with the satellite concourse in the future. 

Personally, I highly doubt that the eastern-most runway (near Morris Field Rd/Billy Graham) is ever built...my understanding is that while the airport currently owns the property, it would simply be too large of a project and they would literally have to construct the runway over Billy Graham using massive concrete structures...it just wouldn't be worth the investment IMO and I would question its need. 

I'm also under the impression that the third pier of Concourse A North depicted in the rendering @Hushpuppy321 has been deleted at this time, and the phase currently under construction will be the last pier built. I'm still unsure about the state of the landside terminal facility (ticketing/baggage claim) for Concourse A North, and the rendering posted makes it clear that the pier being built was supposed to have those facilities attached (notice how Phase II has a wider base than Phase I...this outline mimics the rendering of the landside terminal I posted above). 

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I was under the impression that the concourse E expansion was basically intended as a temporary measure until the remote concourse was built, then most of E would be demolished. 

Correct. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

That may be true, I’m not sure about that.
Correct. 

Also yes I forgot to mention it was near term not the end goal. That image I posted

Those plan images are very cool. On the far-future plan I'm counting > 90 gates in the main body of the airport alone (excluding the island terminal).  Destination CLT's website seems to suggest there are like 30+ gates being added through renovations/construction as part of the concrete plan. And then there's always the looming idea of an island terminal that would probably fully convert Douglas to one of the more impressive airports in the country in terms of size. 

I didn't know this until just now, but according to Destination CLT the new ATC tower is the second tallest in the country.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I'm also under the impression that the third pier of Concourse A North depicted in the rendering @Hushpuppy321 has been deleted at this time, and the phase currently under construction will be the last pier built. I'm still unsure about the state of the landside terminal facility (ticketing/baggage claim) for Concourse A North, and the rendering posted makes it clear that the pier being built was supposed to have those facilities attached (notice how Phase II has a wider base than Phase I...this outline mimics the rendering of the landside terminal I posted above). 

I have to imagine that the third A North pier is still in the plans since they're building out the apron as far north as they can get before Old Dowd Road. 

A North Apron.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TCLT said:

I have to imagine that the third A North pier is still in the plans since they're building out the apron as far north as they can get before Old Dowd Road. 

A North Apron.png

Yes, they are constructing an apron for hardstand/RON use, but they are also constructing a ground service support and fueling station and a lavatory station at that location that will presumably take place where the third pier would be. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Yes, they are constructing an apron for hardstand/RON use, but they are also constructing a ground service support and fueling station and a lavatory station at that location that will presumably take place where the third pier would be. 

The project manager for the second pier was on the employee bus today.   He indicated the third pier was paused indefinitely.   But that the second pier should be done in 2 years.  

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, xapostrophe said:

The project manager for the second pier was on the employee bus today.   He indicated the third pier was paused indefinitely.   But that the second pier should be done in 2 years.  

Makes sense, as there isn't likely to be much non-AA growth within the next few years warranting the third pier. 

Did he mention anything about the OAL landside terminal complex? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Makes sense, as there isn't likely to be much non-AA growth within the next few years warranting the third pier. 

Did he mention anything about the OAL landside terminal complex? 

No mention at all. Mostly just talk about the long connectors

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone know what is the Earth moving activities going on along the Western Edge of I-485 directly across from the Airport Runways? Saw it while we were coming in for a landing and  was figuring it’s part of the River District but wasn’t sure - is that delayed Master Planned Project finally moving dirt?

Edited by Hushpuppy321

47 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone know what is the Earth moving activities going on along the Western Edge of I-485 directly across from the Airport Runways? Saw it while we were coming in for a landing and  was figuring it’s part of the River District but wasn’t sure - is that delayed Master Planned Project finally moving dirt?

several big box warehouses one near Wilkinson Blvd and 485 and one north of the airport is the Best Buy near the huge Amazon warehouse.  Plus there is lots of warehouse development at Arrowood and 485 south of the airport by Childress Klein.  Plus another warehouse near the River District but closer to 485 off West Blvd and 485/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Father-in-law pointed me to this article that was published a couple weeks ago: https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local/charlotte-douglas-international-airport-overlook-construction-new-runway/275-69f73fb7-ed26-4158-8533-4052e742be97

The third paragraph caught my eye: "Charlotte Douglas plans to begin construction on a fourth runway, which will close the overlook during that time. In a statement to WCNC Charlotte, the airport said the current overlook will remain open until the new area is open to the public. There is no timetable for when the new overlook/observation area will open but the airport says the new project will begin by 2028."

The first two sentences seem to directly contradict one another. Has anything changed re: closing the observation area or is this just a poorly written article?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Why doesn’t Charlotte have any on premises Hotel?  Is this just for the ‘old school’ airports like Newark or Atlanta or Tampa (Pictured).

EF26CF7B-D80D-4F48-B45C-57A1C1C20CB8.png

Not sure what you mean by "old school" airports. CLT/TPA/EWR/ATL all opened in the 1920s/1930s, and all four airports have terminal complexes that are well past their prime that date from the 1970s/1980s. 

Because of limitations of terminal space and available land, most North American airports that have airport hotels directly connected to the terminal building had the hotel built in conjunction of the construction of the terminal. It's extremely difficult to add on a terminal hotel later without a major reconfiguration of the terminal footprint.

As to why CLT doesn't have one, it just comes down to CLT probably didn't see the need for one when the terminal was being built in the 1970s. Both the city and the airport were a fraction of the size they are now, and there were/are plenty of hotels just outside airport property that could handle the demand for an airport hotel. 

The old master plan called for an airport hotel to be constructed over the footprint of the old control tower, but I believe the hotel element has been deleted from the master plan. 

• Like 4

Years ago, when the terminal was on the far side of the airport property where freight operation is now, the "overlook", such as it was, was at the dead end of Harlee Avenue at the north end of the easternmost N-S runway. The planes would come directly overhead of the viewers for landing, dropping onto the runway like Grand pianos. Prop wash, yes there was some. Also a nighttime parking spot for lovers. Adding to the excitement was the sense of risk for flyers and observers at the time, a realistic issue one must admit.

Edit:

Do I need to make some Freudian comment about the planes coming in and the nighttime lovers in their cars? I have those dreams too.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1