Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Once E is demolished, the land will then simply transition into a hardstand space. No concourse or gates will be built over the former E footprint, with the exception of 3-5 international gates to the North of D, near where the escalators are currently. Keep in mind that several gates on the C Concourse will eventually be able to handle international arrivals once the sterile FIS corridor is built. 
Here is an overview of the master plan, circa 2035:
039.jpg

There are still some mainline gates added north of D in the near term plan. In any event, I can’t imagine that area remaining hard stand space indefinitely given the demand for gate space at CLT.

27 minutes ago, TCLT said:

There are still some mainline gates added north of D in the near term plan. In any event, I can’t imagine that area remaining hard stand space indefinitely given the demand for gate space at CLT.

Admittedly I don’t follow this thread with any regularity, but why are they demolishing E again in this master plan?  If they have such a demand for gates?  What is the purpose of less gates when those already exist?  I’m sure there’s a logical answer I’m just not aware of. 

36 minutes ago, TCLT said:

Do you have a source for this? Every single Master Plan document I have seen (going back to 2015 or so) makes no mention of additional gates being added onto the D Concourse, sans for 3-5 gates located near where the present E Concourse escalators are, unless those are the gates you are referring to. 

8 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

Admittedly I don’t follow this thread with any regularity, but why are they demolishing E again in this master plan?  If they have such a demand for gates?  What is the purpose of less gates when those already exist?  I’m sure there’s a logical answer I’m just not aware of. 

Concourse E is an operational bottleneck and is dreadfully inefficient in terms of taxiway space. 

Concourse E won't close until the new hammerhead satellite concourse is opened, which when opened, will have more gates than E currently has. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/4/2022 at 10:14 AM, LKN704 said:

Once E is demolished, the land will then simply transition into a hardstand space. No concourse or gates will be built over the former E footprint, with the exception of 3-5 international gates to the North of D, near where the escalators are currently. Keep in mind that several gates on the C Concourse will eventually be able to handle international arrivals once the sterile FIS corridor is built. 

Here is an overview of the master plan, circa 2035:

spacer.png

Definitely a few tweaks - There will be a de icing pad to the south  (where buildings are pictured) and the removal of Phase III of Terminal A come to mind. 

Would love to see cargo expansion as part of the long term plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csweet said:

Definitely a few tweaks - There will be a de icing pad to the south  (where buildings are pictured) and the removal of Phase III of Terminal A come to mind. 

Yes, a few more as well...the rendering also has the landside terminal for the A North Gates (the hump at the end of Phase II pier) that has either been postponed or dropped from the plan.

You can also see the proposed 5th parallel runway next to Billy Graham Pkwy...I highly doubt that runway gets built within the next 15 or so years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, csweet said:

Why did they drop the phase III of a?

4ab095d5f2e872157aa79ed9e07934aa.jpg

952a1444e22bfdc71b4bd8f0fe912799.jpg

Would be nice to see CLT diversify more!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know much about the airport. What is the free standing terminal surrounded by a hundred mini planes? 

Just a satellite terminal that airport plans to build in the future…and from what I hear it will replace terminal E.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I'm not entirely familiar with public infrastructure funding, but is there a reason CLT seems to have an aversion to federal funding?  

I quickly reviewed recent CLT terminal-related (not control tower or runway) projects and I don't think CLT has used any sort of federal funding for any of them. 

There are some transit agencies that have avoided federal funding (Houston and San Diego come to mind) in order to  lower costs and reduce bureaucratic overhead (including buy America regulations which significantly increase the cost of transit vehicles and steel). This strategy results in much faster construction. Knowing a little about Jerry Orr it would not surprise me if preferred forgoing federal financial involvement for these reasons and that culture has been sticky. CLT (unlike a non-hub) certainly has a huge amount of AA- bond underwriting capacity to draw from. Still, I would think the “free” federal money would be a pretty big net benefit.

Just guessing from the transit world…

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stiluvclt said:

Say, That "LB" Master Plan....how recent is that work. It looks like they aren't building the A North addition like the "LB" plan shows and the idea of expanding crazy ole "E'" just to tear it down again. Is the "LB" plan just a concept?

It’s relatively recent. 

They are building the A North addition according to the rendering. They have already built one phase of the A North addition on the rendering (the pier furtherest to the right) and they are currently constructing the middle pier. The pier furtherest to the left (A North III) has been cancelled/postponed, but it should be relatively easy to build if conditions warrant. I’m assuming A North II (the middle pier) will be built with knock-out panels to allow for future expansion. 

The recent E expansions were done relatively cheaply and were necessary as an interim capacity solution. 

The plan for the eventual satellite concourse is still active, hence why they will soon be constructing the APM tunnel to the concourse area. 

At the end of the day, remember that this rendering is the airport’s 2035 plan. Not everything will be built overnight, and changes will be made based on market/traffic conditions. 

• Like 1

The map I shared on the previous page and the associated docs shows a lot of buildings being demo'd to the south of 5/23, including the original 1960's terminal. I wonder if the airport is considering an Atlanta style setup where there would be an actual second terminal with ticketing for departures with access from West Blvd? It would relieve a lot of congestion at the existing terminal. The gate count will ultimately be really high for a single terminal building.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

Delta has Atlanta and pretty much is responsible for the largest airport on earth, why wouldn't AA want a similar setup just a few hundred miles away?

Charlotte is my favorite hub airport layout. I hateeee long terminals. I always, always get gates at the very ends of the very long horizontal ones.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tarhoosier said:

https://www.orlandoairports.net/site/uploads/O-and-D-Airport-Ranking.pdf

Origin and Destination traffic with connecting traffic percentages. We are between Fort Myers Fl and Midway (Chicago)

I edited my post because I misread the poster I responded too. I think he meant airport layout rather than simply increase volume to the size of ATL.

The O&D I had posted before the edit was 2019. I don't think CLT maintained/maintains that 2021 ranking because 2020-2021 data for literally anything, meh, too temporarily skewed IMO. I imagine the rankings have reverted back to probably the typical order by now as a lot of places are back to pre-pandemic #'s. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:35 AM, LKN704 said:

I'm not entirely familiar with public infrastructure funding, but is there a reason CLT seems to have an aversion to federal funding?  

I quickly reviewed recent CLT terminal-related (not control tower or runway) projects and I don't think CLT has used any sort of federal funding for any of them. 

The FAA just announced the allocations for the first $1 Billion Airport Terminals Program under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, and literally almost every airport that applied got something.

• Dulles got $50 million for a new concourse
  • Atlanta got $40 million to refurbish/renovate Concourse D
  • LAX got $50 million to rebuild their terminal roadway
  • Orlando got $50 million for terminal expansion
  • Detroit got $50 million for new jet bridges
  • Boston got $62 million for a new terminal roadway
  • Denver got $60 million for terminal renovations and a new baggage system
  • Asheville got $15 million for terminal renovations
  • Seattle got $10 million for restroom modernization
  • DFW got $35 million for a zero-carbon utility plant to power the terminals and hotels

The list goes on...essentially every major hub airport, and dozens of smaller airports are getting funding. 

It's infuriating to me, as CLT likely could have easily gotten $50-60 million to put towards the Concourse C FIS corridor project, the Concourse C expansion, or the Concourse B expansion. 

It's a $5 Billion program in total, so there is still $4 Billion left for grabs that will be disbursed in future years, yet Destination CLT makes it clear that they primarily plan to use bonds and facility revenues from airlines and passengers. 

Charlotte apparently did apply for the federal funding and was not selected. The airport will reapply in year two of the program:

https://www.wcnc.com/amp/article/money/clt-charlotte-douglas-federal-funding-denied/275-8eeb24d9-e0f8-4fbc-b4fc-700daf14cdbb

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Charlotte apparently did apply for the federal funding and was not selected. The airport will reapply in year two of the program:

https://www.wcnc.com/amp/article/money/clt-charlotte-douglas-federal-funding-denied/275-8eeb24d9-e0f8-4fbc-b4fc-700daf14cdbb

Interesting. 

That article is a tad misleading as it makes it seem like A Phase II is now subject to delay because of the lack of funding. The article says:

This plan came banking on federal funding by President Biden. 

That's simply not true. Destination CLT and the first phase of the Master Plan Update were never designed to receive federal funding. While I'm sure they would have liked to receive federal funding, it's clear from the master plan that they had planned on not relying on federal dollars. 

Upon further research, it looks like CLT was awarded $43 Million last December under the Infrastructure Bill, and is slated to receive a total of $215 Million through 2026. Maybe the FAA took that funding into consideration when reviewing each application. 

• Like 3