Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Airport dropoff today  for my brothers family flight on Lufthansa and went over to the Overlook area and the new 4th parallel runaway is in full construction mainly site work right now.  
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG_9299.thumb.JPG.4ee2a63035c205d2a856aa17143a3bc4.JPG
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG_9300.thumb.JPG.fcb9ab913517ab327db8a3b0a86c3947.JPG
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG_9301.thumb.JPG.42d6267b14a9300900c21dc6e692168f.JPG
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG_9302.thumb.JPG.3ca2670a06fd9c6d588444a86db97767.JPG
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG_9303.thumb.JPG.9599c11e3c12cb33109c7ba7a791eb45.JPG
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG_9305.thumb.JPG.a6c8751a3d1ac4f5a3e5b187d26e151e.JPG
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG_9307.thumb.JPG.6bfcb5ff525db923ecd31a200d338f82.JPG
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG_9308.thumb.JPG.3319afc4c9a8aa5fdc439ad3e2bc160b.JPG
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG_9309.thumb.JPG.a1254d44cd223da05c17d9f604f226ef.JPG

No construction on that has begun as far as I know, what’s going on up there is end around taxiway (NEAT in the north where the overlook resides) that would allow certain types of planes to go around the runway instead of crossing it as they do now. This for safety and efficiency purposes as aircraft crossing a runway would have to wait for a clear path.
  • Like 4

On 2/24/2022 at 9:30 PM, TCLT said:

Underground people mover would be the plan. Various past iterations of terminal master plans included turning the Destination CLT bump outs of B and C into a parallel satellite terminal as well down the road and eliminate the current B and C concourses. That would get CLT closer to the layout style of ATL or DEN and that would also tie in to the underground people mover.

Elimination of B/C seems like it'd be more efficient than the proposed bump outs, almost like what SLC did (below)... getting rid of the piers and developing a parallel satellite concourse. Once CLT has four parallel runways, it's going to be more efficient to have a modern terminal layout such as you suggested.

image.gif.61e031948282bf0153f0993731535d12.gif

image.jpeg.d7bc6991970d406183bdc4ef0beaca35.jpeg

Edited by cltfb
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cltfb said:

Elimination of B/C seems like it'd be more efficient than the proposed bump outs, almost like what SLC did (below)... getting rid of the piers and developing a parallel satellite concourse. Once CLT has four parallel runways, it's going to be more efficient to have a modern terminal layout such as you suggested.

This would be one of the most relieving ideas, I am betting it will never happen.  For Cost reasons alone.  Though, you never know.   It would also eliminate some very old terminals.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 2:08 AM, cltfb said:

That is similar to what is proposed at CLT, turning it into a modified version of the 'toast rack' model of airports. It's the most efficient  design for connecting hubs.

This will be phase 1:

image.thumb.jpeg.cacab3db608f9bf445bf728b019d2eae.jpeg

Followed by the  final product which includes a new midfield terminal:

image.thumb.png.c239432e322d94f036368506d514d132.png

This also shows that a new hotel would not be adjacent to the terminal where the old Tower is, but between the rail line and  Wilkinson Blvd, all  accessed via a People Mover. Note the plans for both  a HSR stop and Silver Line Stop in the plans. The Tower is due to become an additional parking deck which will open up the Long term lots for commercial development.

There have been a few plans which show the Midfield concourse replacing E, and E  becoming more  hard stand. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Very cool. Would this all be fairly walkable, or would it require a tram system like Atlanta?

The satellite concourses (denoted as D and E in my last figure) would be connected to the Main Terminal building by an automated people mover (APM).

The airport will be constructing the 4000 foot long tunnel (called the midfield access tunnel in the master plan) for the APM system in the next couple of years (as part of the current master plan) to minimize future airfield congestion/pavement removal. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LKN704 said:

The satellite concourses (denoted as D and E in my last figure) would be connected to the Main Terminal building by an automated people mover (APM).

The airport will be constructing the 4000 foot long tunnel (called the midfield access tunnel in the master plan) for the APM system in the next couple of years (as part of the current master plan) to minimize future airfield congestion/pavement removal. 

Hopefully the people mover won't be too bad. I'm not a huge fan of the one in ATL

32 minutes ago, CLTdev18 said:

IAD probably holds the title for "biggest age deference between operating people movers."

vv Also a people mover at IAD

Why Do We Still Have Those Weird-Looking People Movers at Dulles? -  Washingtonian

Lol. I actually love those things, comfort wise. Though they are cartoonishly outdated looking on the outside.

And just to add something substantive to the thread, I saw this article on airport recovery October  2019 VS. October 2022. Looks like Charlotte has 97% of passengers versus Oct. 2019. That makes it number 50 on the list (but keeping in mind Charlotte already had a lot of Service versus say Austin which is like 140% that had a lot less service but a yuge increase in flights from airlines trying to establish a hub there or versus very small airports where a few flights makes a large impact). It's just so nice to see a clear cut return to normal in the airline industry! I knew there would be a return to normal - though I didn't think it would recover so strong so fast. I was so sick of the complete doom and gloom on airline industry, mass transit, cities, etc. So this is another data point that there is hope for urbanity haha. 

https://simpleflying.com/usa-most-least-recovered-airports/

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Lol. I actually love those things, comfort wise. Though they are cartoonishly outdated looking on the outside.

And just to add something substantive to the thread, I saw this article on airport recovery October  2019 VS. October 2022. Looks like Charlotte has 97% of passengers versus Oct. 2019. That makes it number 50 on the list (but keeping in mind Charlotte already had a lot of Service versus say Austin which is like 140% that had a lot less service but a yuge increase in flights from airlines trying to establish a hub there or versus very small airports where a few flights makes a large impact). It's just so nice to see a clear cut return to normal in the airline industry! I knew there would be a return to normal - though I didn't think it would recover so strong so fast. I was so sick of the complete doom and gloom on airline industry, mass transit, cities, etc. So this is another data point that there is hope for urbanity haha. 

https://simpleflying.com/usa-most-least-recovered-airports/

This is cool data to see, thanks! I looked at rank by seats (since that is what the % change is comparing), and CLT was #9 in 2019 (it is still #9 for seats in 2022 interestingly).  Four of the airports ahead of it in 2019 seats have recovered more seats (LAS, DEN, DFW, and JFK). Funny that CLT is #50 out of 100 and also #5 out of the top 10 in 2019 capacity. But keep in mind that overall capacity is still down from 2019 (especially corporate business travel), but higher prices mean that revenue (but not profit) is almost recovered to pre-pandemic levels. There's also a lot less employees and airplanes compared to 2019. I'm not sure I would call the industry back to normal, even though what we see is probably normal now.

Not sure how airline capacity recovery correlates to urbanity though.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TCLT said:

This is cool data to see, thanks! I looked at rank by seats (since that is what the % change is comparing), and CLT was #9 in 2019 (it is still #9 for seats in 2022 interestingly).  Four of the airports ahead of it in 2019 seats have recovered more seats (LAS, DEN, DFW, and JFK). Funny that CLT is #50 out of 100 and also #5 out of the top 10 in 2019 capacity. But keep in mind that overall capacity is still down from 2019 (especially corporate business travel), but higher prices mean that revenue (but not profit) is almost recovered to pre-pandemic levels. There's also a lot less employees and airplanes compared to 2019. I'm not sure I would call the industry back to normal, even though what we see is probably normal now.

Not sure how airline capacity recovery correlates to urbanity though.

Oh, thanks for clarifying further or expanding on that. I was on my phone and the data wasn't fully showing nor cooperating. and by airline capacity relating to urbanity, i meant in terms of things that were supposed to die or never come back at the levels they were, the airlines have and several other things have too (tourism, mass transit, concerts, etc. depending on city/region/specifics). The doom and gloom scenarios). 

And agreed with you on the "new normal". 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1