Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

With the closure of AAs crew base at SFO I wonder if we will see Alaska at CLT in the future for West coast flying. If AA concentrates on LAX/SAN and concedes SFO/PDX/SEA (domestic) to its OneWorld partner I think we just might. 

Hell, with ASAs 737 Max buy we may just get direct flights to ANC. 

Edited by BarrenLucidity
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, BarrenLucidity said:

With the closure of AAs crew base at SFO I wonder if we will see Alaska at CLT in the future for West coast flying. If AA concentrates on LAX/SAN and concedes SFO/PDX/SEA (domestic) to its OneWorld partner I think we just might. 

Hell, with ASAs 737 Max buy we may just get direct flights to ANC. 

It's a closure of a satellite flight attendant base.  Nothing more.  There has not been a pilot base in ages.  And we still have a pretty good sized maintenance facility.   I wouldn't get your hopes up for Alaska to show up.   Or excited to ride on a 737 on a transcontinental flight.   

• Thanks 2

On 9/13/2022 at 5:20 PM, KJHburg said:

from Twitter

Erik Spanberg
@CBJspanberg

NEW: Groundbreaking for $30M, 105,000-square-foot aviation museum (replacing the previous one that closed  in 2019) will be September 27. $27M has been raised/committed, including $10M from state government, $3M from the county, and $5M from city/airport. Opening: late 2023.

So are they reopening on top of their old location? For some reason I thought they were moving.

Not suggesting this actually means anything but coincidentally one of my BoA credit card "deals" is for 15% off at Alaska Airlines. These offers have generally been targeted by zip code of card holder so I was surprised to see this.

Edited by kermit

Not suggesting this actually means anything but coincidentally one of my BoA credit card "deals" is for 15% off at Alaska Airlines. These offers have generally be targeted by zip code of card holder so I was surprised to see this.

Counterpoints: Bank of America issues the Alaska Airlines credit card so it might just be a crossover promo. Also you can book an Alaska itinerary to/from CLT since they have codeshares with AA.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Obviously YMMV but I'm rarely greeted by name in F on AA...even as someone with status. It isn't a dealbreaker for me as I actually would prefer if FAs did not greet me by name...especially in DC where people are so obsessed with finding out who's who and what people do. I was on a flight once from DCA to DFW where the person next to me was literally looking up a fellow passenger on LinkedIn after the FA went around taking drink orders using the manifest. No thanks...I'd prefer to stay anonymous. 

There was an AA thread on flyertalk the other day that was complaining about this. (which is not surprising for FT). I feel the same way as you, would prefer to remain anonymous and it typically feels forced anyways.

My assumption was that they'll finish half the canopy now and the other half when the rest of the terminal lobby expansion is complete in another year or two. 

Yep! The canopy itself is supported by columns in the new lobby, so yeah the canopy can’t be finished until the lobby structure is done.
  • Like 2

There has been a change in plans on the North Taxiway project that will result in the closing of the Airport Overlook on October 3rd. A temporary overlook will open on October 17 at the corner of Old Dowd and Airport Overlook Dr and will remain in place until the new permanent overlook is opened.

https://cltairport.mediaroom.com/Old_Dowd_Road_Closure#assets_all

• Thanks 3

Pretty awesome to see what CLT is kicking off right now, things that I have seen begin construction in the past month (let me know what I left off!) -

• Canopy for terminal
  • Midwood Smokehouse in Terminal B
  • Aviation Museum
  • North End Wrap Around Taxiway
  • De Icing Pad / South runway connector is moving along nicely
  • Foundation for Terminal A Phase II
  • Taxiway widening for Terminal D flow
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, csweet said:

Pretty awesome to see what CLT is kicking off right now, things that I have seen begin construction in the past month (let me know what I left off!) -

• Canopy for terminal
  • Midwood Smokehouse in Terminal B
  • Aviation Museum
  • North End Wrap Around Taxiway
  • De Icing Pad / South runway connector is moving along nicely
  • Foundation for Terminal A Phase II
  • Taxiway widening for Terminal D flow

It's been very active.   Like like they were expediting the parallel taxiway by the south connectors.  They were hard at it after midnight last week.

• Like 3