Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

We need more retail in the airport....i dont know if you guys have been to Minneapolis-St. Paul airport.....i felt like i was at the mall of america lol......they had a freakn Hugo Boss for crying out loud.....SouthPark doesnt even have that store....apparently Minnesotans shop more per capita or we arent as "shopaholicy" as other places our size

What? Did they buy some used ones from 2002 at a yard sale in Ballantyne? Seriously, where did you get the info? You are indeed correct, I am thrilled! Still confused as to why they have to wait another year to do this stuff, but oh well...

Miesian - I found the link that I believe atlvr was referring to: CLT Airport to update baggage area and monitors (finally)

Praise jesus on the flat panels...bout time they got rid of the CRT's.

In other news we will be getting a new non-stop destination: Key West, FL.

Service will start Feb 16th with Saturday only service on Embraer 170. In the past to get to Key West you had to connect in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, or Orlando on US Airways.

The Key West flight will bring us up to about 125 non-stop destinations from Charlotte.

<jeopardy music>I'm still waiting for that direct flight to Austin</jeopardy music>

I was actually out there last week and talked to a fellow co-worker of mine who lives in Philly. For the life of ourselves we couldn't figure out why USA doesn't have a direct flight there from either CLT or PHL

Edited by dbull75

We need more retail in the airport....i dont know if you guys have been to Minneapolis-St. Paul airport.....i felt like i was at the mall of america lol......they had a freakn Hugo Boss for crying out loud.....SouthPark doesnt even have that store....apparently Minnesotans shop more per capita or we arent as "shopaholicy" as other places our size
We're getting a NASCAR store. What else do you want?! :whistling:

Seems to me that these days retail in the airport is a tough sell since the public can't go into the concourses without a ticket and a body search. This is going to have the effect of limiting customers to those traveling through the airport and who have the time to stop and shop. It's probably not as big a market as one would think.

I dont think this has been posted yet. US Airways mainline will be adding 80 flight attendant positions to Charlotte as of March08. Though alot of flight attendants commute to their base, I know many who are making the move to Charlotte. The SW side of town seems particularly attractive to F/As as it is both convenient and for the most part affordable.

More construction and expansion at Charlotte/Douglass Airport per this article at Charlotte Biz Journals...

Some of the highlights include ones that we were already aware of like the additional runway, expanded parking, Concourse E expansion, etc. Ones that caught my eye were the new food court and possibility of a NEW, yes new, airline starting service at CLT. First one that comes to mind for me would be Southwest? Also, at the end it makes mention of expanded International service in 2008, but no mention of the new International terminal. Has anyone heard anything new on that? If memory serves me correctly I thought there was talks of starting construction on that soon?

Edited by dbull75

More construction and expansion at Charlotte/Douglass Airport per this article at Charlotte Biz Journals...

Some of the highlights include ones that we were already aware of like the additional runway, expanded parking, Concourse E expansion, etc. Ones that caught my eye were the new food court and possibility of a NEW, yes new, airline starting service at CLT. First one that comes to mind for me would be Southwest? Also, at the end it makes mention of expanded International service in 2008, but no mention of the new International terminal. Has anyone heard anything new on that? If memory serves me correctly I thought there was talks of starting construction on that soon?

I wonder where Southwest would try to fly from Charlotte? We know it will not be Atlanta, Boston, NYC, or transcontinental flights for sure.

I wonder where Southwest would try to fly from Charlotte? We know it will not be Atlanta, Boston, NYC, or transcontinental flights for sure.

Good question. My guess would probably be some of the western US markets like Vegas, Austin (who we don't currently serve), and maybe Denver or something like that. I think Vegas would be a definite one if it's SW. I've flown out to Vegas a few times this year and every single time it's been on a 757 and the flight was oversold. I've always thought you could never have enough Vegas flights.

There's also Virgin who's doing a pretty big expansion in the US, but I would think that's a less of a possibility at this point until we expand Concourse A. Then there's always the possibility of a non-US carrier too. That would tie into Orr's comment on expanded International service. I guess it's just a lot of speculation for us :)

Good question. My guess would probably be some of the western US markets like Vegas, Austin (who we don't currently serve), and maybe Denver or something like that. I think Vegas would be a definite one if it's SW. I've flown out to Vegas a few times this year and every single time it's been on a 757 and the flight was oversold. I've always thought you could never have enough Vegas flights.

There's also Virgin who's doing a pretty big expansion in the US, but I would think that's a less of a possibility at this point until we expand Concourse A. Then there's always the possibility of a non-US carrier too. That would tie into Orr's comment on expanded International service. I guess it's just a lot of speculation for us :)

If there was more room for a Charlotte-Denver flight, Frontier or Lynx would have jumped on it.

TAP airlines - Lisbon

Austrian airways - Vienna.

KLM/Northwest - Amsterdam

I think the expanded international service will be from US though, Switching lower O&D European routes that rely on connecting traffic from Philadelphia to Charlotte to expand Philadelphias international operations to higher yeilding routes. Also, a US Airways South American hub in Charlotte could be the international service.

Star alliance lacks South America presence. Us Airways could have a well South American gate way with Star Alliance connections from other Star Hubs.

Edited by USAirways

I was going to suggest that BMI would be a new carrier offering Heathrow service, but this article indicates that US Airways has other plans.

http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft?ne...9830&page=2

I believe US already had secured landing slots for their Philly flight, so this purchase would in theory be for Charlotte-Heathrow....at about $60M for landing/take off rights, that's pretty steep!

As far as the original slots, I read on an aviation forum that BMI donated the Heathrow slot to US for the Philly flight....I'm sure this is a way to undermine British Airways now that Open Skies is about to take place, but hopefully as part of the deal, BMI will fly Charlotte to Manchester....though with their limited number of aircraft on order, I would assume they will try to maximize the Heathrow slots they have.

As far as the other Star Alliance partners, I don't see any other European carriers interested, especially given the relatively few aircraft on order. Charlotte would be pretty low on the priority list, and it would make more sense for USAirways to connect to their hub cities from here (Lisbon, Vienna, Zurich, etc.)

I don't really see any of the other large European (non Star Alliance carriers coming in the next couple of years). KLM has other priorities, BA couldn't compete before and if US gets a 2nd London flight from Charlotte that would lock up that market, and Air France may come at some point, but not until Charlotte can sustain the flight with local traffic or subsidizes the route (Dessault?)

South America certainly makes the most sense, thought its hard to say if US will get the Bogota route. Everyone and their grandmother has applied for the limited number of routes to BOG. If US does get in, I would expect them to expand their coverage to S. America, though I don't think they would dedicate any of their wide-body aircraft to those routes as I would assume Europe is more profitable. That leaves what is within the range of the A320 family of planes, and the only major destinations would be Caracas and Quito (which isn't that major), plus I would expect them to start Panama City at some point.

As far as Southwest, I wouldn't expect them to touch Las Vegas with a 10 foot pole.....yields are typically very low (lots of cheap tourists) and USAirways would do their best to massacre them to protect its two hubs. Likely markets I think would be Austin, San Antonio, St. Louis, Chicago (Midway), and/or Providence.

I was going to suggest that BMI would be a new carrier offering Heathrow service, but this article indicates that US Airways has other plans.

I believe US already had secured landing slots for their Philly flight, so this purchase would in theory be for Charlotte-Heathrow....at about $60M for landing/take off rights, that's pretty steep!

My thoughts are the same. It certainly makes sense these slots would be for a CLT flight. Most of the USA major hubs will be switching to Heathrow in 2008 due to the new Open Skies agreement. Even RDU's daily London flight will be switching to Heathrow. So if CLT doesn't switch to Heathrow it will be at a competitive disadvantage with other US airports. The $60M certainly is a step price...but to put that in perspective the current CLT-London flight generates about $60M annually in revenue for US Airways.

As far as the original slots, I read on an aviation forum that BMI donated the Heathrow slot to US for the Philly flight....I'm sure this is a way to undermine British Airways now that Open Skies is about to take place, but hopefully as part of the deal, BMI will fly Charlotte to Manchester....though with their limited number of aircraft on order, I would assume they will try to maximize the Heathrow slots they have.

As far as the other Star Alliance partners, I don't see any other European carriers interested, especially given the relatively few aircraft on order. Charlotte would be pretty low on the priority list, and it would make more sense for USAirways to connect to their hub cities from here (Lisbon, Vienna, Zurich, etc.)

I don't really see any of the other large European (non Star Alliance carriers coming in the next couple of years). KLM has other priorities, BA couldn't compete before and if US gets a 2nd London flight from Charlotte that would lock up that market, and Air France may come at some point, but not until Charlotte can sustain the flight with local traffic or subsidizes the route (Dessault?)

South America certainly makes the most sense, thought its hard to say if US will get the Bogota route. Everyone and their grandmother has applied for the limited number of routes to BOG. If US does get in, I would expect them to expand their coverage to S. America, though I don't think they would dedicate any of their wide-body aircraft to those routes as I would assume Europe is more profitable. That leaves what is within the range of the A320 family of planes, and the only major destinations would be Caracas and Quito (which isn't that major), plus I would expect them to start Panama City at some point.

As far as Southwest, I wouldn't expect them to touch Las Vegas with a 10 foot pole.....yields are typically very low (lots of cheap tourists) and USAirways would do their best to massacre them to protect its two hubs. Likely markets I think would be Austin, San Antonio, St. Louis, Chicago (Midway), and/or Providence.

"Northwest partners with Dutch giant KLM and by spring will fly to Amsterdam from 16 U.S. cities, including mid-sized markets like Portland and Hartford, Conn. Its executives said recently they plan further trans-Atlantic expansion."

Amsterdam is a pretty large hub.

26 A-330

2 A340

22 A350

10 757 Etops

10 767s

I think US could build a "widebody" international hub out of Charlotte, unless they plan to send all the new planes to Philadelphia. US has only 19 widebodies right now.

Edited by USAirways

My thoughts are the same. It certainly makes sense these slots would be for a CLT flight. Most of the USA major hubs will be switching to Heathrow in 2008 due to the new Open Skies agreement. Even RDU's daily London flight will be switching to Heathrow. So if CLT doesn't switch to Heathrow it will be at a competitive disadvantage with other US airports. The $60M certainly is a step price...but to put that in perspective the current CLT-London flight generates about $60M annually in revenue for US Airways.
While I'm sure we'd all take LHR over LGW, time of day arrivals are important to biz travellers to London. The only slot US could get arriving at LHR puts the flight from PHL arriving in London at 11:05 GMT. Not really all that condusive for connections or a full day of work/sight-seeing. The Gatwick flights, on the other hand, arrive from both CLT and PHL early in the morning--much better for all involved. If US can't get decent slots at LHR, I'd just as soon stay with LGW.

As a side note, the brilliance of the management in Tempe will not serve dinner on the PHL-LHR route, only a "light breakfast snack". That's in business class and economy. But wait, it gets better--US will be serving "buy on board" in coach for the return. That's right, if you plan to eat on the return from LHR to PHL, you'll need cash in your pocket. Just when you think Tempe-based management can't come up with one more terrible idea, they surprise you with one like this. My only hope at this point is that Star will put a stop to their evil plan before the first flight departs in March.

^That's pretty bad for a flight that is 9+ hours or so. I do agree with you on the timing. Other than some kind of prestige thing, I am not sure why people flying from Charlotte would prefer flying to the very congested and crowded Heathrow over Gatwick. Already discussed earlier is that it is just as convenient to central London as Heathrow but much less hassle to deal with.

Some of the highlights include ones that we were already aware of like the additional runway, expanded parking, Concourse E expansion, etc.

One of the biggest improvements IMO, is the fact they are moving the rental cars and returns into the new decks in front of the terminal. No more shuttle from the terminal to the rental car lots. I always enjoy flying into Port Columbus because of this convenient setup and always thought Charlotte should do that.

Speaking of parking decks. Orr says they are going to disguise the construction as best possible to keep the area looking as pleasant as possible. I'll be anxious to see how they do that when they demolish the 2 decks in front of the terminal and replace them with 4 story decks. It's going to be very nice when all this is done.

One thing I didn't see on the list was a new entrance off I-485. They did say "improved" entrance road upgrades but that was pretty vague.

All in all, I am looking forward to the finished product. I've flown around to many airports and always thought Charlotte has one of the nicest. These improvements will definitely keep it high on my list.

Now if we can just get Light Rail to the airport...... :huh:

As a side note, the brilliance of the management in Tempe will not serve dinner on the PHL-LHR route, only a "light breakfast snack". That's in business class and economy. But wait, it gets better--US will be serving "buy on board" in coach for the return. That's right, if you plan to eat on the return from LHR to PHL, you'll need cash in your pocket. Just when you think Tempe-based management can't come up with one more terrible idea, they surprise you with one like this. My only hope at this point is that Star will put a stop to their evil plan before the first flight departs in March.

Buy on board for a TATL flight?????? You're joking..

I flew LGW-CLT back in 1999...full breakfast on the return, then a surprise..english teatime around 2pm. What a shameful mess Tempe has turned this airline into.

Buy on board for a TATL flight?????? You're joking..

I flew LGW-CLT back in 1999...full breakfast on the return, then a surprise..english teatime around 2pm. What a shameful mess Tempe has turned this airline into.

From usairways.com...

Depart 10:45 PM 27 Apr 2008 Philadelphia, PA Arrive 11:05 AM 28 Apr 2008 London, United Kingdom (Heathrow) Flight: 728

Class: Coach Airbus A333

Meal: None

Travel Time: 7 h 20 m

Return Flight 12:50 PM 30 Apr 2008 London, United Kingdom (Heathrow) Arrive 4:00 PM 30 Apr 2008 Philadelphia, PA Flight: 729

Class: Coach Airbus A333

Meal: Buy on Board

Travel Time: 8 h 10 m

Summary (1 Passenger) Base Fare $1,541.00

Taxes and Fees $168.60

Grand Total $1,709.60

Edited by Miesian Corners

Indeed.

Unless you just have to have a direct flight to London, I highly recommend shopping the airlines, including the foreign ones, for international travel. You will have to connect in another city, but it really doesn't add that much time to the trip and most likely you will get a lot better service from another airline over USAirways. Service isn't that important on say an east coast flight because they don't last that long but on a 9+ hour flight (12+ for asia), it does affect the quality of the trip.

I can understand the decision not to serve dinner on the flight...since most people don't eat dinner at midnight (when dinner would be served on this flight if they did serve it)

With the Buy on Board on the Heathrow - Philly flight I'm thinking that is an IT mistake. It doesn't make sense for the Heathrow flight to be the ONLY one with Buy on Board...especially since the Gatwick-Philly flight leaves at about the same time and has lunch provided (and still shows lunch for the summer schedule)

I can understand the decision not to serve dinner on the flight...since most people don't eat dinner at midnight (when dinner would be served on this flight if they did serve it)

With the Buy on Board on the Heathrow - Philly flight I'm thinking that is an IT mistake. It doesn't make sense for the Heathrow flight to be the ONLY one with Buy on Board...especially since the Gatwick-Philly flight leaves at about the same time and has lunch provided (and still shows lunch for the summer schedule)

Maybe it is a mistake, but after phone calls and emails (not by me) as well as this being posted on various other message boards (flyertalk.com and usaviation.com), wouldn't you think they'd fix it? The reason I was fairly certain it was for real is that the station personnel at Gatwick are the ones who told me about it. They were horrified and wanted to share.