Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

They are also reportedly in the running for 3 flight simulators for USAir pilots to use. The competition is Phoenix. Both cities currently have 10 simulators and the CBJ says that they could all go to one city or the other or they could split them between the two. Supposedly they will bring with them quite a few well paying jobs ($1 millon+ in salaries per year).

City Council approved this evening a $600,000 contract with a consultant to provide design services for the expansion of the crew training facility to house additional flight simulators.

According to the Council agenda (on charmeck.org), USAirways is already planning to install two new simulators in August. Does anyone know if the 10 new simulators annouced in the CBJ are top of these two?

Also, who has to man these simulators to the tune of $1 million+ in salaries? And are they hiring ... :P

Nope...it was announced 1 week before 9/11....it never commenced...

I too am going to speculate that we will see.

#1. CLT-AUS

#2. CLT-SAT

#3. PHX-MSY (Phoenix - New Orleans)

Also, Charlotte is getting its Portland, OR (PDX) service back this summer....I think its seasonal only though.

I doubt we will see any other trans-continental flights this year given gas prices.

CLT-Salt Lake City (SLC) is a possibility, but I doubt it since Delta now flies the route.....there aren't really many other large cities that US doesn't offer non-stop too. OK City, Tulsa, Des Moines, and Omaha would probably be the next biggest, but I just don't think there is much traffic between them....oh yeah, and Sacramento, though again, I think the high price of fuel will keep that from happening anytime soon.

I'd like to update my wish list.

Besides what has already been speculated above, and the Bogota that hopefully will be approved, future routes I'd like.

Ranked by likelihood

Panama City, Panama

Paris

Caracas

Manchester, UK

Vancouver, Canada (either US Airways or Air Canada)

Lima

Zurich

Buenos Aries (would require a merger between two existing carriers to limits on number of carriers allowed)

Santiago

Sao Paulo

Rio

Madrid

Sorry for the mistake. I did mean SAT. Now we all know why your luggage goes to the wrong place now and then. :unsure:

Not sure about PHX-MSY. America West serviced the route before Katrina, but never returned. As a result, Southwest is firmly entrenched at Louis Armstrong now. As far as Vancouver (YVR), also not sure. US dropped service to Montreal (YUL) from CLT after 9/11 and it has never resumed. It also reduced service to Toronto (YYZ) due to Air Canada's affilitation with Star and code sharing opportunities between the two carriers. I could see YVR being a seasonal destination, but not year round.

With the Buy on Board on the Heathrow - Philly flight I'm thinking that is an IT mistake. It doesn't make sense for the Heathrow flight to be the ONLY one with Buy on Board...especially since the Gatwick-Philly flight leaves at about the same time and has lunch provided (and still shows lunch for the summer schedule)

Looks like it has been corrected online now. It is now showing they will be serving a "free" lunch on the Heathrow-Philly flight afterall.

Supposedly three more routes will be Melbourne, FL; Ft. Walton Beach, FL, and Gulfport, MS, all on US Exp......Austin and San Antonio don't appear to be happening yet....hopefully they are just waiting on additional mainline aircraft.

Hmm, I was thinking that they would be express jets and not mainline aircraft for Austin and SA. I flew to Austin on Delta in December and both trips to/from ATL were on their express jets (or whatever Delta calls them). Oh well, guess we'll see what happens.

Edited by dbull75

I saw that US Airways amended their order with Airbus Industrie. The order was changed from 13 A319s to A320s, One A319 to A321 and 11 A320s to A321s. Anyone know what this would signify? More International routes possibly?
Maybe to Central America and Canada. Those are all narrow-bodies. And as it stands, the A-321 already has problems making it from CLT to SFO. Just doesn't have the range. It has the wingspan of the A-318, yet its fuselage is a 43 feet longer.

Just guessing, but it sounds like they want to add a lot of capacity to the western route structure (especially on flights from Phoenix to cities also served by SWA) in order to lower ticket prices and steal some customers back....my guess is they will do this on select cities from PHL too. I think they are tired of getting their butts kicked and losing market share, and the only way to compete is with price. With the price a fuel, the regional jet strategy is back firing, so now they want to lower yeilds for everyone and try to increase volume.....

I doubt this has much to do with International expansion except with a few S.A. routes as Meisian mentioned....

Actually...on second thought...

The 321's could also handle some routes like BOS-CLT that has a daily 757, and that could be redeployed to trans-atlantic. There are some other domestic and Caribbean routes that use 757's, so this could free them up. The 757 can fly to Europe, while the 321 can't, even though they both seat roughly the same number of passengers.

The 757s are getting long in years, but there really is no good replacement for a long-range medium-capacity jet.

The CLT-GPT flight will be using CRJs. I assume that the others will as well, but one never knows these days. I've flown some alarmingly long flights on regional jets. As for comfort, it really varies from carrier to carrier. Some airlines do wonders with small planes and others (most) still try to jam as many seats in as possible.

Supposedly three more routes will be Melbourne, FL; Ft. Walton Beach, FL, and Gulfport, MS, all on US Exp......Austin and San Antonio don't appear to be happening yet....hopefully they are just waiting on additional mainline aircraft.

So is that it? Is that official? If so, I'm pretty disappointed Austin isn't in there. And Omaha, but I realize I probably belong to a pretty small number of people wishing for Omaha.

I think official is Gulfport; Panama City, FL; and Ft. Walton Beach. I think Melbourne has been delayed, or may be mainline (it was back when the used to fly it) These are all US Express....I would expect places like Austin and Omaha to happen with mainline. They still are receiving new mainline aircraft. I expect to see them added this year at some point, but who knows. US said they aren't increasing domestic capacity, but I think there will be some exceptions.