Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

And of course choice. USAir is considered by many to be one of the most undesirable airlines in the country to fly on, and in Charlotte's case, also one of the most expensive. Losing access to the Midwest hub increases the costs for a lot of flights.

Well its pretty clear that nobody was choosing this choice, hence their choice to pull out of this market.

Do you have any numbers that would suggest they pulled out of Charlotte due to lack of interest by the locals?

Well, it would follow that lack of interest in Midwest Air flights caused their pullout. The other possibility would be bad management, which would also cause a lack of interest in their flights.

I doubt Lufthansa would pull out of CLT....they have a direct flight to Portland, which is based solely on O/D. Assuming Freightliner does eventually move all HQ functions to the Charlotte metro from Portland, then I think they will only strengthen local demand. However, it would likely mean the 340-600 would go back to the 330-300 or 340-300.

I doubt Lufthansa would pull out of CLT....they have a direct flight to Portland, which is based solely on O/D. Assuming Freightliner does eventually move all HQ functions to the Charlotte metro from Portland, then I think they will only strengthen local demand. However, it would likely mean the 340-600 would go back to the 330-300 or 340-300.
the flight is operated under codeshare..though and i think the 346 is too much plane anyways Edited by CltFlyer

If Pittsburgh has 1 million more people then Charlotte, and they are STILL crying about the US Airways cuts... I wonder how Charlotte would do without US Airways? :dontknow: I guess no more international flights, or any flights aside from a few hub airports.

Pittsburgh said they would be fine without US Airways and other airlines would potentially start a hub or focus city... Has not gone so well...

:ph34r: Sorry to hear US Airways is Charlottes only chance, in my opinion, at having any significant amount of air service. The 10th busiest airport in the nation with 80% connecting traffic.

Are people from Charlotte really so cocky in their city they would risk air service by taking their business to other airlines?!? If US did pull out of Charlotte, I could see Airtran, Southwest, and Midwest jumping on the Charlotte market making Charlotte a lowcost carrier airport meaning no chance of being a hub for a "legacy." That means no flights to Paris, Frankfurt, Sao Paulo, London, ETC.

That said, if I were from Charlotte, I would cherish US Airways. Then again, I prefer direct flights :thumbsup:

If Pittsburgh has 1 million more people then Charlotte, and they are STILL crying about the US Airways cuts... I wonder how Charlotte would do without US Airways? :dontknow: I guess no more international flights, or any flights aside from a few hub airports.

Pittsburgh said they would be fine without US Airways and other airlines would potentially start a hub or focus city... Has not gone so well...

:ph34r: Sorry to hear US Airways is Charlottes only chance, in my opinion, at having any significant amount of air service. The 10th busiest airport in the nation with 80% connecting traffic.

Are people from Charlotte really so cocky in their city they would risk air service by taking their business to other airlines?!? If US did pull out of Charlotte, I could see Airtran, Southwest, and Midwest jumping on the Charlotte market making Charlotte a lowcost carrier airport meaning no chance of being a hub for a "legacy." That means no flights to Paris, Frankfurt, Sao Paulo, London, ETC.

That said, if I were from Charlotte, I would cherish US Airways. Then again, I prefer direct flights :thumbsup:

What was the purpose of this post?

Sounds like Jerry Orr "isn't interested" in implementing the TSA registered traveler program. More detail in the Feb. 25th issue of the Biz Journal.

I haven't heard his reasoning, but it seems like this could rub some local CLT frequent fliers the wrong way ...

That's disappointing. I was going to register for it since I frequently fly out of CLT... May not be worth the hassle then.

I am a US Airways employee and I certainly understand the frustration people in the Charlotte region have regarding US Airways strong hold at the airport here. There are other choices however and the choices have grown much during the last few years. Having said that, US Airways has invested alot in the airport and in the community over the years and if things stay on track, we will see more investment over the next few years. Below I have listed some highlights from a recent managers meeting that took place in Phoenix.

US Airways wants to become the "Airline of choice". It has been determined that the two most important factors to customers when choosing an airline are price and schedule.

The company is now using the following terms repeatedly.

Reliability Convenience and Appearance

Additional points of interest discussed at the meeting are as follows.

-We ARE NOT actively looking for another merger now

-66%of our customers originate out of our large markets

-1/2 of our customers travel for business

-The frequent flyer program is a big part of building customer loyalty(almost everyone in domestic first class is an upgrade from coach)

-The most important factors to Envoy passangers are seat comfort and entertainment

-50 million dollars will be invested into aircraft interior improvements this year. (All seats will be upfitted with dark blue leather seats. I have worked on these upfitted aircraft and it is wonderful. Clean and fresh.)

-20% of our capacity goes overseas compared with 39% of other network carriers. We will be closing that gapin the next few years.

-We will take delivery of 17 new A330-200 aircraft in 2009/10/11.

-Delivery of 22 A350 aircraft, seating 270-330, will begin in 2014 (they were purchased at a great price)

-Philadelphia will continue to be the primary focus of international service because of optimal east coast geography,strong domestic feed and east coast business demand. These add up to ideal conditions for a European gateway.

-We'll likely begin service to nine new European destinations between 2008 and 2011

-Phoenix is being considered for service to large European markets, but probably not prior to 2010

-Most of the airline growth in the next few years will be in the international market:domestic growth will be small

-The B737 will be retired over the next few years and replaced with the A320

-Our top expenses are: fuel 30%, payroll 26%, A/C rent 13%

-Every $1.00 increase to the per barrel price of crude oil means $37 million dollars a year to US Airways

-Fuel hedging saved the airline $58 million in 2007 and is expected to save $114 million in 2008

-It cost $31 million dollars a day to run US Airways.

-For every dollar of revenue in 2007, we made just over 5 cents of profit.

Edited by Skyybutter

I am a US Airways employee and I certainly understand the frustration people in the Charlotte region have regarding US Airways strong hold at the airport here. There are other choices however and the choices have grown much during the last few years. Having said that, US Airways has invested alot in the airport and in the community over the years and if things stay on track, we will see more investment over the next few years. Below I have listed some highlights from a recent managers meeting that took place in Phoenix.

US Airways wants to become the "Airline of choice. It has been determined that the two most important factors to customers when choosing an airline are price and schedule.

The company is now using the following terms repeatedly.

Reliability Convenience and Appearance

Additional points of interest discussed at the meeting are as follows.

-We ARE NOT actively looking for another merger now

-66%of our customers originate out of our large markets

-1/2 of our customers travel for business

-The frequent flyer program is a big part of building customer loyalty(almost everyone in domestic first class is an upgrade from coach)

-The most important factors to Envoy passangers are seat comfort and entertainment

-50 million dollars will be invested into aircraft interior improvements this year. (All seats will be upfitted with dark blue leather seats. I have worked on these upfitted aircraft and it is wonderful. Clean and fresh.)

-20% of our capacity goes overseas compared with 39% of other network carriers. We will be closing that gapin the next few years.

-We will take delivery of 17 new A330-200 aircraft in 2009/10/11.

-Delivery of 22 A350 aircraft, seating 270-330, will begin in 2014 (they were purchased at a great price)

-Philadelphia will continue to be the primary focus of international service because of optimal east coast geography,strong domestic feed and east coast business demand. These add up to ideal conditions for a European gateway.

-We'll likely begin service to nine new European destinations between 2008 and 2011

-Phoenix is being considered for service to large European markets, but probably not prior to 2010

-Most of the airline growth in the next few years will be in the international market:domestic growth will be small

-The B737 will be retired over the next few years and replaced with the A320

-Our top expenses are: fuel 30%, payroll 26%, A/C rent 13%

-Every $1.00 increase to the per barrel price of crude oil means $37 million dollars a year to US Airways

-Fuel hedging saved the airline $58 million in 2007 and is expected to save $114 million in 2008

-It cost $31 million dollars a day to run US Airways.

-For every dollar of revenue in 2007, we made just over 5 cents of profit.

What about New International Service from CLT.

What about New International Service from CLT.

unfortunately the notes from the meeting did not mention anything about more intl out of Charlotte , but a recent state of the airline address did indicate that Charlotte may get service to more European destinations and also to South America. We are awaiting approval to Bogata at the moment. The company has hinted around to Brazil and other South American destinations. Usually announcements are made about 6 months before service starts so we may see something announced this fall or winter. The new aircraft start arriving next year.

unfortunately the notes from the meeting did not mention anything about more intl out of Charlotte , but a recent state of the airline address did indicate that Charlotte may get service to more European destinations and also to South America. We are awaiting approval to Bogata at the moment. The company has hinted around to Brazil and other South American destinations. Usually announcements are made about 6 months before service starts so we may see something announced this fall or winter. The new aircraft start arriving next year.
Wikipedia says Bogota may start October 1st and i was hoping for cities like CDG, MAN, FCO,and ZURICH.....from Charlotte.......with the State of the Art International terminal that can't be built fast enough for me :wub:....oh yeah and what kind of plane would operate CLT-BOG and would it be daily? Edited by CltFlyer