Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

True, but PHL cost far less to oprerate than IAD. It costs United about $22 per passenger to send them through IAD (that's the airport code for Dulles, for those outside aviation). It costs US Airways $7.50 to send a passenger through PHL (Philadelphia). As a point of reference, CLT is still the least expensive hub per enplaned passenger in the country, costing US Airways $1.21.

Thanks for the insite. I would think that Dulles costs more to move passengers since it is going through a multi-billion dollar expansion. Hopefully the "extra" fees" incurred by ailrlines and passengers will payoff the expansion and that figure would come down. Fair anslysis?

I know this is slightly unrelated but some what on the same lines of the recent posts. Link to Dulles's "D2" project:

http://www.mwaa.com/dulles/d2_dulles_development_2/d2_home

(If this is getting off topic then someone kindly let me know so I can delete this post.)

Does anyone know if Airtran no longer flies direct to Orlando from CLT? I was looking to book a flight down there and it appears it's no-longer a direct flight per their web site. However, it's still listed on their route map. Maybe it's a seasonal only flight?

Does anyone know if Airtran no longer flies direct to Orlando from CLT? I was looking to book a flight down there and it appears it's no-longer a direct flight per their web site. However, it's still listed on their route map. Maybe it's a seasonal only flight?
The flight appears in june but not in July............i guess we are losing another airtran daily.....Mdw and now mco :angry: ...........Usairways is running off another destination........maybe jetblue can start something.

Grading on the northern end is not even finished yet, I guess they're paving it in stages, or maybe it will be graded in time to pave straight thru. I thought I read somewhere that a new runway base is required to stand idle for a year to settle, maybe not.

So I flew in/out of CLT for the first time today. Overall it was a pretty standard airport experience. But when I was coming back in this evening I got an outstanding view of a lit-up Lowe's Motor Speedway and of Uptown. Best approach ever.

I don't fly much either, but finally I can contribute to this thread with my observations from my leave Mon/arrival Tonight (Thurs). First, that whole first floor arrival, bathrooms, and tubed-tv's is so needed in a rehaul, which I know is coming- thank God. 4th runway, I caught a similar glimpse as Neo, but I can contend with runway construction when I got to follow my father, who worked on the engineering of a runway years ago. Not so sure that it takes a full year for the first layer or asphault to settle, but yes- there is a multi-layer approach that requires some extreme settling times. We are dealing with some heavy airplanes and high traffic with runways/taxiways that need to last years. If I'm not mistaken, the asphault pouring wasn't suppose to begin until next Spring 2009, however I hear that they are ahead of schedule. Last, mass transportation to the airplane is going to be critical for its connectivity to the rest of the 2030 plan. A streetcar system would be nice, but I get this instinct that light rail would have been an enourmous means of going about to connecting it, due to its speed, recognition for a magnitude of airport users, and capacity. I was amazed hearing the number of people getting of the planes trying to get to center city for so many number of reasons. although I believe the race may have something to do with it. Either way, I love where this city is going, transportation wise.

Also- the Char-Meck website for the airport has receieved it's much needed update, if it hasn't yet been mentioned.

I don't fly much either, but finally I can contribute to this thread with my observations from my leave Mon/arrival Tonight (Thurs). First, that whole first floor arrival, bathrooms, and tubed-tv's is so needed in a rehaul, which I know is coming- thank God. 4th runway, I caught a similar glimpse as Neo, but I can contend with runway construction when I got to follow my father, who worked on the engineering of a runway years ago. Not so sure that it takes a full year for the first layer or asphault to settle, but yes- there is a multi-layer approach that requires some extreme settling times. We are dealing with some heavy airplanes and high traffic with runways/taxiways that need to last years. If I'm not mistaken, the asphault pouring wasn't suppose to begin until next Spring 2009, however I hear that they are ahead of schedule. Last, mass transportation to the airplane is going to be critical for its connectivity to the rest of the 2030 plan. A streetcar system would be nice, but I get this instinct that light rail would have been an enourmous means of going about to connecting it, due to its speed, recognition for a magnitude of airport users, and capacity. I was amazed hearing the number of people getting of the planes trying to get to center city for so many number of reasons. although I believe the race may have something to do with it. Either way, I love where this city is going, transportation wise.

Also- the Char-Meck website for the airport has receieved it's much needed update, if it hasn't yet been mentioned.

Totally agree, I got married 2 weeks ago near Mooresville and our reception was in downtown. I rented a van and dropped it off for travel from Charlotte to St. Thomas (direct flight....nice) and left my car at the hotel.

It's a flat taxi rate from the airport to uptown ($20.00), would've been nice to have a cheaper option. $20.00 bucks ain't bad, but the airport to downtown should be on the priority list (BRT, LRT, etc) .

^^^ Then this may be relevent to the thread. This coming Tuesday there is a public meeting for input on the proposed West Corridor enhanced bus service. I agree a much faster and convenient public transit option is needed to the airport. I've taken the route 5 bus from the airport to uptown and the wait times are too long and there are way too many stops to make it convenient to travers and tourists. Since rail is not an option at this time hopefully a better bus route can be the building block to creating more riders to the airport.

"Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) will host a community-wide meeting to discuss the proposed West Corridor Enhanced Bus service. The proposed concept will replace the existing route 5 Airport with improved service and fewer bus stops. CATS seeks input on the following topics:

Proposed Stop Locations

Going through other airports makes you realize how tired looking CLT has become. Not so much in the new areas, such as the food court and D expansion, but most everywhere else. And those monitors, how embarrasing. When they replace them this fall, I hope they don't just stuff LCD monitors into the same holes. Seems like most airports now are going with the big wide-screen monitors, easy to read.

Is the crossfield runway every used for take offs, iv landed on it a few times but never seen anyone take off from it.

Yes, I've taken off from it several times. It is also used for take-off at night when noise rules prohibit use of 18/36 L/R (north-south runway).

Is the crossfield runway every used for take offs, iv landed on it a few times but never seen anyone take off from it.

Yes, I've taken off from it several times. It is also used for take-off at night when noise rules prohibit use of 18/36 L/R (north-south runway).

It all depends on wind direction and possibly noise abatement as mentioned above.

^I am in complete agreement!!! I cannot believe that the state removed the words "Charlotte-Douglas International Airport" and replaced them with "Billy Graham Libarary" on the I-77 north-bound sign. Yes, that's right, it's the same sign that used to tell folks how to get to the airport, but the state covered it with the new, obviously more important information. :angry: Which one is a bigger economic engine? Hmmmm. That's a hard one.

I thought they took down the 'Coliseum Area' sign and replaced that with the Graham Library sign.

That is what they did on I-85.

Edited by pk_brennan