Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

USAToday has a nice feature that compares November 2008 schedules with November 2007 based on the Official Airline Guide flight schedules. You can see it here.

For Charlotte it shows that we are expecting a 0.6% Decrease in daily seats from November 2007.

Here are some other airports for comparison:

Raleigh/Durham 14.8% Decrease

Atlanta 4.1% Decrease

Nashville 8.8% Decrease

Washington Dulles 8.1% Decrease

There are some airports in the Carolinas that will be seeing increased service compared to November 2007:

Wilmington 3%

Fayetteville 10%

New Bern 0.6%

Columbia 4.3%

At least so far it looks like Charlotte is faring better than most airports of similar size.

Quick question about the new airport parking deck mentioned above...why is it all the way near Wilkinson blvd? Why not at Harlee and Old Dowd or another closer location?

My guess is that you can't put a ~5 story parking deck that close to the runway. Wouldn't it interfere with the height restrictions so it doesn't interfere with takeoffs/landings?

Edited by Raintree21

You should see the parking deck at the west end of the San Diego's airport.

The one in Charlotte will not be as close as the one in San Diego.

Is this the same garage that planes have to dive towards the runway once cleared on final?

Edited by Shakman

On their quarterly conf call today US Airways stated that they will keep the Charlotte hub realtively flat meaning little cuts or increases. They also said that out of all their hubs Chalrotte will be the least affected by their planned systemwide cuts. And reading the tea leaves sounds like the previously planned 2009 International flying expansion (aka the Paris flight) has beened pushed out to 2010/11.

Yes.

I saw a photo of an American Super 80 flying over that garage. It was part of an article from 10 years ago relative towards San Diego receiving a new airport away from Downtown.

I am sure CLT officials are smart enough to build their garages away from the flight paths.

It is good to hear that USA will continue its operations out of CLT. I believe the airport that will be effected the most will be Las Vegas.

Edited by Shakman

Perhaps further solidifying USAirways position in Charlotte, The Association of Flight Attendants is moving it's US Airways headquarters from Pittsburg.

I think it's more of a logistical thing. Pittsburgh was once the center of the US Airways universe with over 13,000 employees. Now it's basically a maintenance station with less than 2,000 workers. The flight attendant and pilot base closed back in March, so it made little sense for the Master Executive Council to be headquartered there. Likewise, USAPA, the pilots union, also has its executive offices in Charlotte now.

Airport authorities also announced that Shelco, Inc. has won the bid to build a new parking deck at Wilkinson Blvd. and Harlee Ave. It will have 3,200 spaces and should be completed sometime in late 2009.

Close call on the approval of this contract at last night's City Council meeting. Half of the Council voted against this contract becasue they didn't feel that Shelco did enough to try and give enough of the subcontract to Small Businesses. The goal was 18% of the contract for small business and 2.97% ($1.3M of the $45M) was what they were able to do. Since it was a tie vote the Mayor broke the tie and voted in favor of the contract.

Usually airport votes are unanimous or close to it....so this was the closest airport vote I can ever remember.

On their quarterly conf call today US Airways stated that they will keep the Charlotte hub realtively flat meaning little cuts or increases. They also said that out of all their hubs Chalrotte will be the least affected by their planned systemwide cuts. And reading the tea leaves sounds like the previously planned 2009 International flying expansion (aka the Paris flight) has beened pushed out to 2010/11.
I sure hope not it. Also could Clt-Fco be done with US' A333 or would it have to be done with 762 or 332?

As a continuing sign the airlines are having to price themselves out of the means of most people, Delta has increased the fee on the second checked bag to $50. These fees are starting to be a substantial increase to the cost of an airline trip. This will add $100 to a round trip. I don't think Delta charges for the first bag like USAir, but I suspect the other airlines including USAir will be raising their fees to match this increase.

I have never known of a business that grows by raising prices.

As a continuing sign the airlines are having to price themselves out of the means of most people, Delta has increased the fee on the second checked bag to $50. These fees are starting to be a substantial increase to the cost of an airline trip. This will add $100 to a round trip. I don't think Delta charges for the first bag like USAir, but I suspect the other airlines including USAir will be raising their fees to match this increase.

Growing? They're playing defense at this point...

I thought that instead of going about the baggage price increase the way they did, American, USAir, Delta, etc. should have just instituted across-the-board fare increases of $50 (without so much fanfare), but at the same time, announced (with considerable fanfare) that any passenger flying with one bag receives a rebate at the counter for $25. Any passenger flying without a bag receives a rebate at the counter of $50.

I don't think "growth" includes reduction in air service and job lose. With these fees, the airline industry is still bleeding.

• 3 weeks later...

Charlotte/Douglas is planning a massive $400 million overhaul of the airport per the Charlotte Biz Journals. The project is to be modeled after new European and Asian airports that make them more passenger friendly and high-tech. Obviously there are a lot of components of this plan such as the parking deck expansions, main terminal expansion and expansion of Concourse E and the 25 gate International concourse. The Intenational concourse would be built after the main terminal expansion. Also part of the plan is to pursue more Internatinal carriers. Completion date could be as early as 2012. The full article can be seen here.