Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Something just poped up in my mind! Why don't they use the new land between the new runway (currently under construction) and 18R/36L to build the extension or something in between (maybe the proposed international terminal).

The "new" land between the runways will be used for the new Norfolk Southern Intermodal yard. Where they are proposing the new international terminal go is right next to the longest runway at the airport...which they are planning on extending by another 2000 ft in the future. It makes sense to put the international terminal next to the longest runway...as well as having it connected to the main terminal building...since we are a hub that will facilitate easy connections from an International to a Domestic flight.

Why does Charlotte need a new international terminal? From what I can see, we serve 2-3 locations in Europe along with some Caribbean and Latin American destinations. We are not a major point of departure or arrival for the United States.

We currently have 28 International Destinations served from Charlotte. The international terminal is still at least 5 years away from coming to fruition...and thats only of we remain a large hub.

But to answer your question the Immigration Area is really too small for the amount of International flights we currently serve. If we continue to add additional international flights...which indications are that we will...then we'll need more space to handle all of the people. At the same time Concourse D is also being used for Domestic flights...and moving all the International flights to a new terminal will open up Concourse D for further Domestic Expansion.

Why does Charlotte need a new international terminal? From what I can see, we serve 2-3 locations in Europe along with some Caribbean and Latin American destinations. We are not a major point of departure or arrival for the United States.
Customs routinely keeps international arrivals in CLT on board their planes at their arrival gates because there's not room for them in the passport control area. Add that to the problem of not enough baggage carousels in the Immigration area and the issue is compounded. Jerry Orr, again, at his best. He built Concourse D without looking forward.

When the new international terminal is completed will the customs be located under the new concourse? allowing passengers to not hvae to reenter security.

They would still have to re clear security as they would have had access to their checked bags in Customs. The good thing about this setup would be that international arriving passengers would have a dedicated security setup within the new terminal, as opposed to now, where intl passengers are just dumped into baggage claim after clearing customs and have to reclear through the regular security line.

ATL is a good example of how it probably would be in the new terminal.

Doubtful in my opinion.....there are too many foreign destinations I think they'd consider before Charlotte. The flight makes more sense for US Airways with connections to TAM for onward travel, but I don't think USAirways can fly to Sao Paolo or Rio due to a cap on the number of US carriers serving those airports.....in short, I don't for see Charlotte-Brazil any time soon.

On a related note, I believe several carriers turned back in their Columbia routes, but I've heard no noise of US Airways trying to get Bogota again....guess the economics don't work.

Charlotte seems to attract the worst of the worst when it comes to big companies these days and now the Consumerist has ranked USAir as #1 worst offender when it comes to attaching additional fees onto its customers while at the same time cutting out the service. See the article here. At the same time the flight attendants union accuses US Airways turning the airline into "flying vending machines". They have this on their website. They say this kind of activity is detracting from passenger safety as well as pissing off flyers who are already pissed off when they get on the plane.

Despite the forecasts of the people pushing for spending $100s of millions to expand the airport, I still wonder how much of this is going to be needed when the the airline that holds the monopoly for service there, is doing so much to piss off and chase away its customers.

I fly once or twice a month and usually out of CLT (USAirways). Prior to that, I flew out of Raleigh (American Airlines). In terms of service and on-time departure/arrival, about the same and given CLT has more direct routes, much more convenient.

USAirways (dislikes):

The baggage charge

Charging for water

USAirways (likes):

Since they charge for everything, that nuisance beverage cart zooms up/down the aisle and the flight attendants are out of the way in 5-10 minutes. To Denver was a little over 3 hours last week, didn't need any beverage or nasty nuts. I think the other airlines should adopt this procedure....get that darn cart out of the aisle as quick as possible.

Since they charge for everything, that nuisance beverage cart zooms up/down the aisle and the flight attendants are out of the way in 5-10 minutes. To Denver was a little over 3 hours last week, didn't need any beverage or nasty nuts. I think the other airlines should adopt this procedure....get that darn cart out of the aisle as quick as possible.

Or they could be like Southwest, and still give free beverages and snacks, and not even HAVE a beverage cart.

^The carts are really relics from the pre-regulation days when airlines did not compete on price but rather on services provided. Since they were all mandated to charge the same amount for a route between cities, and restricted to mostly point to point service, then they convinced customers to choose based on the amenities. So in those days they would always provide some kind of meal on every flight and often had a menu of choices. There was an advert for a flight from Chicago to Miami for example that made a big deal of steak and lobster in coach. This made the carts necessary.

Those days are long gone now but for some reason the carts have remained.

• 3 weeks later...

Both the Birmingham and Olso flights will be flown with existing 757's. They will be getting some new A330's in 2009...3 I believe. 2 of them will be dedicated to Tel Aviv. That leaves one left over that has not been allocated to a flight. Could be used on CLT-CDG....or could be another destination served from PHL.

Both the Birmingham and Olso flights will be flown with existing 757's. They will be getting some new A330's in 2009...3 I believe. 2 of them will be dedicated to Tel Aviv. That leaves one left over that has not been allocated to a flight. Could be used on CLT-CDG....or could be another destination served from PHL.

They would probably put the 3rd 332 on PHL-ATH (which is stretching the 333's range)

This will free up whatevers currently doing ATH for a possible CLT-CDG.

...or they will just throw another dart at a map of Europe and serve it from PHL

The Press Conference will occur tomorrow at 10am in Concourse D....since it is in Councourse D that would be a hint that it is an International Destination. Another hint is that I think US Airways CEO was in town today for the annual Jet Pull at the airport....so an International Destination served by US Airways....could be CDG....or maybe a South American destination? hmmmm

It's been speculated for so long that we will get back Paris that it will be almost anti-climatic if it happens. I was hoping for something unique, but I'll be happy with Paris. There are actually a decent number of French companies in the area, so perhaps we can attract some additional foreign firms.

Also, with Lufthansa buying BMI, perhaps Charlotte will be on the short list for either Heathrow or Manchester service.