Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Ahh, that explains why so many Boeing planes since USAir has moved away from them.
Most customers prefer Airbus equipment over Boeing. All they see is that their ever growing rear ends fit more comfortably in the wider seat of an Airbus 319, 320, or 321. The narrow-body Airbuses are wider than their narrow-body Boeing counterparts.

Most customers prefer Airbus equipment over Boeing. All they see is that their ever growing rear ends fit more comfortably in the wider seat of an Airbus 319, 320, or 321. The narrow-body Airbuses are wider than their narrow-body Boeing counterparts.

Also, I'd rate the larger ejets ahead of Boeing, like Jet Blue's 190s. I believe US Airways is wanting to replace their 737 fleet with 190s as well.

To go a little more on topic with the airport itself... I know that over the years there has been a lot of different flights that have come and gone here at CLT. One question I ask though: was there ever a direct flight to Hawaii from CLT? I know Atlanta has one to Honolulu (I think). I know USA has a connection in PHX to there and I don't believe Philly has a direct either. Does USA have the aircraft for this?

I'm not sure if the current 333 or 762s can make it, I am positive the new 332s will be able to, though I doubt they will fly it. Hawaii is a low revenue flight, and they will use all the planes capable of that distance for Europe and other profitable international destinations.

There has never been a regularly scheduled non-stop from CLT to Hawaii.

When traveling the new re-aligned Wallace Need Rd. on the west side of the new runway, as it approaches Old Dowd, they are building a bridge, I would assume, to carry Wallace Neel over. . . . what?

Seems fine the way it is, but I guess that little section of road is just temporary until the bridge is finished. Does anyone know the reason for the bridge?

When traveling the new re-aligned Wallace Need Rd. on the west side of the new runway, as it approaches Old Dowd, they are building a bridge, I would assume, to carry Wallace Neel over. . . . what?

Seems fine the way it is, but I guess that little section of road is just temporary until the bridge is finished. Does anyone know the reason for the bridge?

Isn't there the plan to have a new exit for the Airport coming off 485? I thought a lot of that had to do with that......

I beleive that bridge is to allow access for the new rail spur they will build that will connect the planned NS Intermodal rail yard which will go between the runways. The main rail line runs just North of the airfield.

I'm trying to picture all the changes out there too. Is there a siteplan for the expansion out there anywhere? Wikipedia says there will be an exit from 485. I'v driven through here in the last month and I can't even tell you where I am when I am driving around.... The original road with the Overlook is now closed just past the overlook. The new road at the edge of 485 is open, but once it get's out pretty far east/south (?) it diverts a couple of times and comes back around somehow. Like I said, I'm lost out there.

I'm trying to picture all the changes out there too. Is there a siteplan for the expansion out there anywhere? Wikipedia says there will be an exit from 485. I'v driven through here in the last month and I can't even tell you where I am when I am driving around.... The original road with the Overlook is now closed just past the overlook. The new road at the edge of 485 is open, but once it get's out pretty far east/south (?) it diverts a couple of times and comes back around somehow. Like I said, I'm lost out there.

Well if the new access road is off of 485, then either of those would make sense.

The overlook is still accessible from the other direction.

The 'Neighborhood Update' pdf on their web site has some info on the roads. I'm not too sure about the rail terminal either.

Airport Website Link

Page 17 of this PDF shows you how the Intermodal Yard will be laid out between the runways. Rail access will be from the North (blue on the rendering) and they will have bridges for both taxiways and the road. Truck access for the Intermodal Yard will be from the South (West Blvd).

You can also look at the previous pages of that PDF to read the meeting minutes where they go into more detail.

The best thing about this Intermodal Yard will be removing it from the Center City and allowing that property and the future Blue Line Light Rail to develop.

There looks to be a future interchange on 485 at West Blvd. Driving on 485 and looking at the aerial photos in the PDF file you can see that they cleared the land but they never paved the on and off-ramps. This would provide another way to access the airport. That might be the exit you are talking about but I haven't seen a timeline for when it will be completed. Does anyone else have any other info?

Also, does anyone know when the 85/airport entrance road will begin construction? I think the TIP says 2010 but I think it might have been postponed?

Page 17 of this PDF shows you how the Intermodal Yard will be laid out between the runways. Rail access will be from the North (blue on the rendering) and they will have bridges for both taxiways and the road. Truck access for the Intermodal Yard will be from the South (West Blvd).

You can also look at the previous pages of that PDF to read the meeting minutes where they go into more detail.

The best thing about this Intermodal Yard will be removing it from the Center City and allowing that property and the future Blue Line Light Rail to develop.

So it looks like the new bridge I was referring to is for the inter-modal facility access.

Thanks!

Delta/Nwa SUmmer Schdule

Dl-7x m88-1xcr9 (or close to that)

cvg-4x Er4

Jfk-Er4

Slc-None :(

Nw-Dtw-1x 319 2xDc93 2x Dc95

Msp-1x 319 1x e175 1x dc93

Mem-3x-cr9 (up from 3x crj last summer :thumbsup:

Do you mean ATL instead of DL (7xm88, 1xCR9)????

Thats funny, I accidentally call Atlanta Delta too.

"What Airline are you flying home?"

"Atlanta...err I mean Delta"

It sounds like the chances of US being awarded the Rio flight are decent. Obviously this would mark hopefully the next step for Charlotte with regualarly scheduled service to South America. I think to make this flight work they are going to have to REALLY market the connections and how Charlotte is a relatively easy airport to transfer in with high on time stats. One thing that will help is US Airways ability to code share with TAM to allow connections within Brazil once you get there.

Today they released the final passenger stats for Charlotte in 2008. Another record breaking year with a total of 34,739,020 people using the airport. That is a 5% increase over 2007. With that jump in numbers will raise up a couple spots on the World Rankings of Busiest Airports. In 2007 we were #30. The final numbers arnt in but we will likely move up to #28 surpassing Tokyo-Narita, Minneapolis-St Paul, and Miami. We are just behind Munich and Detroit.

Edited by uptownliving