Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Came across this rendering of the Ticketing/Baggage Claim expansion at Charlotte/Douglas.

The dark grey shows the new addition and the white shows the existing building. You can also see the new 6,000 space parking deck that will house the rental cars on the lower floors.

It is rather underwhelming from an architectural point of view...but will be much much better from a design and functionality perspective.

This is still a couple years from happening...hopefully they can make it a little architecturally appealing before final design.

gallery_15_25_72671.jpg

^Hopefully they can do something in the form of what Portland, OR did to their main terminal. See here. I thought this was pretty cool. I agree with you though uptownliving, from a functional standpoint this would work better... Especially in terms of being dropped off at the airport. I hate riding that bus so much that I normally just walk from the Daily lot to the terminal.

Came across this rendering of the Ticketing/Baggage Claim expansion at Charlotte/Douglas.

The dark grey shows the new addition and the white shows the existing building. You can also see the new 6,000 space parking deck that will house the rental cars on the lower floors.

It is rather underwhelming from an architectural point of view...but will be much much better from a design and functionality perspective.

This is still a couple years from happening...hopefully they can make it a little architecturally appealing before final design.

gallery_15_25_72671.jpg

When is construction scheduled to start?

I believe that I heard hat US Air will start offering free soda in coach again.

I fly weekly with US Air and this was something I was looking forward to

again.....well sad to report that no free soda (or coffee) on this morning's

flight!! However, we were offered some of their fine water (prob tap water) while

we waited to get de-iced. This is only because it took forever to get de-iced...

and why did it take so long you ask? Well, because by 10am, only 1 out of 9

of their de-icing trucks was even functional......CLT was NOT prepared for

mother nature at ALL yesterday and this morning. :wacko:

^ Tell me about it. I spent over 3 hours last night on the runway only to have to return to the gate b/c the flight crew hit their federally mandated threshold for number of hours. Most of the time I don't have problems flying out of CLT, but last night showed how ill prepared the airport is for snow storms. Even if it only happens 1 or 2x a year.

^ Tell me about it. I spent over 3 hours last night on the runway only to have to return to the gate b/c the flight crew hit their federally mandated threshold for number of hours. Most of the time I don't have problems flying out of CLT, but last night showed how ill prepared the airport is for snow storms. Even if it only happens 1 or 2x a year.

In fairness to CLT, we had someone stuck on a Dulles runway for two and a half hours last night.

I spent some time at the Airport on Sunday night as well and it was not a fun place to be...lot of upset people.

Something that really stuck out at me was the line for Taxis....at least 100 people waiting in line for a taxi....and yet just 50 feet away was the CATS #5 Bus....which could have taken probably about half those people downtown....and they would have gotten there sooner.

We ended up following the #5 Bus back downtown which acted as our personal snow plow..passing by plenty of cars that had run off the road.

Just saw an advertisement for BDO Accounting...which is a global accounting firm. And the commercial was filmed in Concourse D at the Charlotte Airport.

They don't mention Charlotte specifically...and you have to be pretty familiar with the airport to recognize...but nice none the less. You might recognize one of the guys in the commerical as a local actor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yycS1pZ-uj8

I'm so glad you posted this. I was there the day they were filming and there was no indication of what this was for, but they had these barely noticeable signs posted saying that our mere presence in the terminal gave permission to the film crew to use footage of us. Amazingly enough I did not end up in the commercial...

Just saw an advertisement for BDO Accounting...which is a global accounting firm. And the commercial was filmed in Concourse D at the Charlotte Airport.

They don't mention Charlotte specifically...and you have to be pretty familiar with the airport to recognize...but nice none the less. You might recognize one of the guys in the commerical as a local actor.

I saw that ad one day and said 'man, that looks familiar'. Played it back frame by frame on the dvr and you can definitely see the telltale signs, especially the

Concourse E--> sign that is kind of in the middle of the moving walkways and the front windows. I'm sure the floor pattern was a giveaway, too, but I couldn't remember what it looked like.

Cool.

The non-stop Charlotte to Paris flight on USAirways begins soon. I was looking at the price, out of curiousity and b/c I'm thinking of going, and you can get a roundtrip ticket for under $500 in May or June!!!

^ It showed up on their e-saver's email last week (which has also offered some extraordinarily cheap tickets to dublin, frankfurt and london). Needless to say, I am tempted....

• 2 weeks later...

2 new major international destinations starting in a year is major for Charlotte. Maybe they will open up the Club in D with this new influx of international destinations and with Usairways looking at a clt-rome, dublin, and more south america we can become a very real international airport.

And the point of this exercise is. . . . ?

Er, "How much land is an airport worth?"

We have a dedicated, single-use chunk of land well over the size of the 277 loop sitting in West Charlotte. And that doesn't include the swath of land around the airport that has sharply limited development potential because of zoning restrictions, no one wants to live that close to an airport, etc. At what point do we say, "air travel isn't worth that cost"?