Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I am glad that Delta will start flying the CLT-> JFK route since USAirways stopped flying it sometime ago. Even though JFK is a horrendous airport it is still the International hub airport, and its nice to have a direct connection to it again.

This is also a premptive strike by Delta as I am sure that this is the route that jetBlue would like to start flying soon.

It also gives people from Charlotte the ability to connect to the 13 European destinations that Delta serves from JFK and to Delta's Skyteam partners Air France, Alitalia, Czech Airlines, Korean Air, and others.

I think I'm more worried about Greenville, Jacksonville, and New Bern than Charlotte if US Airways liqudates. They'll loose all their air service if US Airways stops flying since US is the only airline at those airports. They may have a chance at getting Delta, but as we know Delta's not doing well either. US is the only airline at several other airports along the East Coast. Sure Charlotte will loose nonstop flights to dozens of cities, but other airlines will come in to fill the void by flying to the top destinations out of CLT.

• 1 month later...

this is off subject, but does anyone see any new concourses being built in the airports future? is there room for additional concourses adjacent to the main terminal or would a 2nd terminal eventually be built with some sort of people mover to connect the two.

I don't see it happening anytime soon as Concourse D and A are still under utilized.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Concourse A is not being underutilized. Every gate on that concourse is being used, and only a handful of additional flights can be squezed into that Concourse.

Concourse D is abuzz with activity before Noon with all the Caribbean flights and in the late afternoon/early evening with the European flights...otherwise it is rather quiet. At the peak times there are about 3 D gates that are not being used.

IF USAirways sticks around you will see an immediate doubling of Concourse E to 50 gates. The money for this has already been allocated...just waiting to see whats going to happen with USAirways.

The last expansion at the main terminal will be an extention of Concourse B...again if USAirways sticks around and the hub remains...then expect this to happen in the next 5 years.

Right now the airport is expanding the West side of the Ticketing area (this is where all the Concourse A airlines are) and building a 3000 space parking deck due to be complete Summer 2005.

Here is the master plan for the airport:::

mplanview1.JPG

Edited by uptownliving

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

They're leaving Miami, Des Moines, Madison, & Springfield, IL too. I think I read at airliners.net that the judge in charge of the bankrupcy will decide on Thursday whether Southwest or AirTran will get to buy part of the company.

Edited by TravisNC

• 1 month later...

WBTV mentioned at noon tomorrow the Mayor will have a big announcement regarding air service in Charlotte. Does anyone have any idea what it could mean? Could it be SWA? Jet Blue? At very least could it perhaps be Air Tran?

Edited by QC704

Most likely AirTran. They will be taking over the old ATA gate....this will be the 3rd time this airline has served Charlotte....it was previously known as Valu-Jet. It will not be SWA as they require more gates than CLT currently has available.

Now, this could also be the official announcement that Mexicana will be serving Charlotte starting this summer.

Edited by uptownliving

I dunno......I'd like Singapore to fly here....I somehow doubt it.....interesting though, I'm wishing for international, but my bet is that it will be Southwest considering that SWA has entered Phili and Pitts recently so they seem to be going for USAir's jugular.

Anyone know when the 3rd parallel runway is supposed to start construction?

• Like 1

Most likely AirTran. They will be taking over the old ATA gate....this will be the 3rd time this airline has served Charlotte....it was previously known as Valu-Jet. It will not be SWA as they require more gates than CLT currently has available.

Now, this could also be the official announcement that Mexicana will be serving Charlotte starting this summer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Air Tran isnt SWA but it's better than nothing I guess. I hadnt thought of Mexicana but that is certainly a possibility.