Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Dec 17 marks another major milestone mark in CLT history. Using 762's from reduced winter Euro flights from Philly. US is adding a i think seasonal NONSTOP flight between Clt and Hnl Honolulu (mind my spelling)

No links yet but it is bookable on Usairways.com

Wow!!! That's one long flight. At least 10 hours :shok: You do NOT want to be in economy in one of those old 762's

In other US Airways news, both Portland (Maine) and San Antonio are being upgraded to mainline (as opposed to US Airways Express). I believe St. Louis will be upgraded as well, though American Airlines is pulling out of that route.

But I think (I am not sure about this) that everyone paid that price. After de-regulation, they started charging business travelers (their best customers) more because in many cases they could not plan ahead. And those higher fares, to this day, subsidize the cheaper 'advance' fares. The low fare carriers came in, with their lower cost structures, and forced fares down, yes. But I just punched in a random reservation on US Airways, CLT to BOS, tomorrow's fare is $1200, July 19 is $600.
Two things: First, $1,200 is still cheaper than it would have been in 1975. And second, as for airlines offering so much more service in the glamor days of air travel, there's no doubt. But there's a myriad of reasons for that--primarily being that the cost of air travel has not kept up with the cost of doing business (thus, training the public into thinking that a $600 r/t ticket to Paris is outrageously high). Even the Southwest model is beginning to show signs of weakness (their labor costs are seeing huge increases as their workforce ages--tenured employees cost more). Edited by Miesian Corners

They are now saying that Mays died from heart disease an not the bump on the head on the plane. I had noticed that in recent interviews, very recent in fact, that Mays seemed to be losing a good big to weight. Maybe they had already told him to say off the food cooked on all those infomercial machines.

They are now saying that Mays died from heart disease an not the bump on the head on the plane. I had noticed that in recent interviews, very recent in fact, that Mays seemed to be losing a good big to weight. Maybe they had already told him to say off the food cooked on all those infomercial machines.

He was scheduled for hip replacement surgery as well, today. Possibly losing some weight in preparation for that.

Who has his seat belt unfastened during landing?! Seriously!!

Man, that's a hard landing, thankfully I've never had to deal with something like that.

I did, one time, on a Lufthansa 74-2 from Frankfurt, landing on 23. It wasn't quite that hard, didn't blow any tires, but bins opened and O2 masks came down. Found out much later that 23 is known for 'hot' landings.

^ I understand that these types of things are funny and may have CLT in the headline, but they obviously have nothing to do with the expansion of the airport. In the future, please make comments such as this in the Charlotte Coffee House off-topic thread or create a new thread for it in the Coffee House.

^ I understand that these types of things are funny and may have CLT in the headline, but they obviously have nothing to do with the expansion of the airport. In the future, please make comments such as this in the Charlotte Coffee House off-topic thread or create a new thread for it in the Coffee House.

As if Billy Mays' death is on topic...

As if Billy Mays' death is on topic...

I am also referring to that post as well. Just because something happens on a US Airways flight or on a flight on the way to or from CLT doesn't make it worthy of being posted in the CLT Expansion thread. :rolleyes:

Where can I go to find a list of direct flights from CLT to Western Europe? Is there a list?

It's not very many. You have more of a choice if you want to fly direct to the Caribbean, though.

Lufthansa - Munich

US Airways - London (Gatwick), Frankfurt, Paris (Charles De Gaulle)

It's not very many. You have more of a choice if you want to fly direct to the Caribbean, though.

Lufthansa - Munich

US Airways - London (Gatwick), Frankfurt, Paris (Charles De Gaulle)

While it is true that we (only) have 4 daily flights to Europe, there are many cities in the US far larger than Charlotte that have no daily service there at all. San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville have none. Phoenix, Baltimore, and Memphis (a Northwest/Delta hub) have only one non-stop (London, London, and Amsterdam, respectively).

Something I fail to understand is why CLT doesn't have an on-site hotel... You physically have to leave the airport to find one. Are there any plans in the future to include one? Would this be part of a terminal expansion? Being one of the top 10 busiest airports in the country and the numerous delays that occur, one would think this would a no-brainer. There have been times where my flight has been cancelled so I just head back home. Others however have to either rent a car to drive to a hotel or get a cab ride somewhere. This may of been discussed before, but I'm too lazy to search :)

Something I fail to understand is why CLT doesn't have an on-site hotel... You physically have to leave the airport to find one. Are there any plans in the future to include one? Would this be part of a terminal expansion? Being one of the top 10 busiest airports in the country and the numerous delays that occur, one would think this would a no-brainer. There have been times where my flight has been cancelled so I just head back home. Others however have to either rent a car to drive to a hotel or get a cab ride somewhere. This may of been discussed before, but I'm too lazy to search :)

Very true! A funny story: my sister flew in for my wedding with my 4 year old nephew. She wanted to stay at a hotel near the hotel, because they were to fly out VERY early the morning after the wedding. So she booked a hotel on Little Rock Road. I had to beg and plea with her to change her hotel - it was to be her only visit to Charlotte and I didn't want to be represented by a hotel on Little Rock Road.