Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Others however have to either rent a car to drive to a hotel or get a cab ride somewhere.

There's always the #5 bus as well. Dollar fifty gets you Uptown.

I had to beg and plea with her to change her hotel - it was to be her only visit to Charlotte and I didn't want to be represented by a hotel on Little Rock Road.

Little Rock Rd. is home to Little Rock Deli, arguably the best cheese steak in the city, so it at least has that going for it.

Something I fail to understand is why CLT doesn't have an on-site hotel... You physically have to leave the airport to find one. Are there any plans in the future to include one? Would this be part of a terminal expansion? Being one of the top 10 busiest airports in the country and the numerous delays that occur, one would think this would a no-brainer. There have been times where my flight has been cancelled so I just head back home. Others however have to either rent a car to drive to a hotel or get a cab ride somewhere. This may of been discussed before, but I'm too lazy to search :)

There was talk about it a few years ago. I think it is part of the master plan. Have not heard anything lately.

I know of smaller airports that have very nice on-site hotels.

There was talk about it a few years ago. I think it is part of the master plan. Have not heard anything lately.

Yeah it is still in the master plan but there has not been any movement on it because no hotel operator has stepped forward and said they would be willing to commit to running it.

Yeah it is still in the master plan but there has not been any movement on it because no hotel operator has stepped forward and said they would be willing to commit to running it.

I think this was posted by Neo last year. I believe that's the hotel in the middle.

gallery_1_2_41060.jpg

If this plan comes to full fruition, I'd say we'd need yet another runway too. I know the parking deck replacement is the next thing on the airports agenda. Hopefully the hotel would be next. Eventually followed by that International terminal if our expansion for overseas flights continues to grow.

If this plan comes to full fruition, I'd say we'd need yet another runway too. I know the parking deck replacement is the next thing on the airports agenda. Hopefully the hotel would be next. Eventually followed by that International terminal if our expansion for overseas flights continues to grow.

As log as Charlotte remains a hub for US then CLT will continue to see international expansion. US is getting 15 long range aircraft between now and 2011. Philadelphia will probably see the majority of international expansion, but CLT will see its far share. Rome has been a rumor for years. US CEO Doug Parker has said CLT will focus more on South America. Possibly Santiago. Look for announcements in the fall.

As log as Charlotte remains a hub for US then CLT will continue to see international expansion. US is getting 15 long range aircraft between now and 2011. Philadelphia will probably see the majority of international expansion, but CLT will see its far share. Rome has been a rumor for years. US CEO Doug Parker has said CLT will focus more on South America. Possibly Santiago. Look for announcements in the fall.

US actually applied for a clt-fco slot last year but got crappy times. Id say its almost a given for next summer though. I have not heard anything on scl where did you hear this. Is chile open skys as well or do we have to apply for slots.

It's to bad that land in between 18C and the new 18R was not already accounted for. If a new runway beyond 485 was built far off in the future, I could imagine a mega airport facility with two parallel runways on each side of it, much like ATL today.

There is a plan for the land between 18C & 18R, another runway....Good wx runway is to be built in the not so far off future, if you ever get a chance to go back into the construction zone you will notice that taxiways N & S are crowned for the additional runway...

When I flew in CLT this morning, I noticed that there is some construction taking place in the downstairs baggage claim. I believe one of the bathrooms is boarded up and closed and another section where the baggage conveyors are has plywood up and workers inside. Is this part of the overall remodel or is this just minor projects?

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new...but just signs that things are moving forward at the Airport with their expansion plans:

On next week's City Council agenda are 2 expansion items.

1. A $6M contract with LS3P to design the 7,000 space parking deck that will replace the current Hourly Decks adjacent to the terminal building and serve as the new rental car facility. LS3P is the same firm that has designed all of the award winning new decks at the airport so expect a similar design with this new deck.

2. A $1.5M contract with DAS Architecture to design the East Terminal Expansion. This will be for a new Security checkpoint area with 4 lanes that will go on the side closest to Concourse D.

US actually applied for a clt-fco slot last year but got crappy times. Id say its almost a given for next summer though. I have not heard anything on scl where did you hear this. Is chile open skys as well or do we have to apply for slots.

scl is pure speculation on my part. Parker has said Charlotte will concentrate on SA going forward as far as international goes. Remember we tried for Bogata and failed.

In other US news. Parker actually mentioned a possibility of selling the 25 E190s that mainline currently flies if needed. This would result in hundreds of Pilots and Flight Attendant layoffs. Not good news. With the 600 layoffs mentioned earlier, and this possibility, I can only think that the company is leaning itself for a merger.

Edited by Skyybutter

scl is pure speculation on my part. Parker has said Charlotte will concentrate on SA going forward as far as international goes. Remember we tried for Bogata and failed.

In other US news. Parker actually mentioned a possibility of selling the 25 E190s that mainline currently flies if needed. This would result in hundreds of Pilots and Flight Attendant layoffs. Not good news. With the 600 layoffs mentioned earlier, and this possibility, I can only think that the company is leaning itself for a merger.

The 600 layoffs are are coming from elsewhere than clt as it has already been said and the 190 retires are easily replacable with 319's.

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier, but there was an article in the O yesterday that talked about Charlotte's $300 million makeover for the airport. It includes a 6 year plan for building the new parking deck, widening the road in front of the terminal and extending the terminal 90 feet out and eventually (our favorite) the 20-25 gate International Terminal. Everything outside the International terminal should be done by 2015. The international terminal will be at a cost of an additional (if I read it right) $200 million and will probably not start work until 2012. That of course depends on the economy, like everything seems to these days. The projects will be funded by bonds and not through public tax payer money.

airport.jpg

US Airways will be adding a second Brazil destination from Charlotte... Sao Paulo in 2010. In other US Airways news, they are seeking approval for their first Asian destination, Japan. No word on the city, but I'm guessing it's probably Tokyo. It will originate in Phoenix.

US Airways will be adding a second Brazil destination from Charlotte... Sao Paulo in 2010. In other US Airways news, they are seeking approval for their first Asian destination, Japan. No word on the city, but I'm guessing it's probably Tokyo. It will originate in Phoenix.

I was thinking that their first Asian destination was going to be a Beijing flight originating in Charlotte and then going to Philly. Is this still on?

I could be mistaken, but I thought that was put on hold?

Its been delayed several times to the point of becoming a joke in the industry. A lot of people are already joking that the Tokyo thing will never come to fruition, either.

The Tokyo flights are supposedly to start from PHX and the GRU flight will be from CLT. US Airways is giving up express flying at LGA and is going to significantly grow at DCA. I guess this puts to death constant rumors of UA and US hooking up. (Would be entirely too much market share in the DC area with UA having a hub at Dulles and US basically having a hub at National)

The definite good thing is this indicates that the Rio flight wasn't just random...US seems to want to make a significant South American hub at CLT.

Rio needs to pick it up with bookings or it won't last very long......maybe the gig-clt people are waiting untill the Brazilian gov approves it though.

And the DOT Denied any further hold off of the phl-beijing route so if they don't get an aircraft it doesn't fly.

Edited by CltFlyer

My guess is that US was expecting to take a hit in Rio initially. It is a new entrant into the market and it is the first flight that the airline has ever attempted in South America. Just give it a little time. If I remember correctly, the flight to Paris was only about half full less than 3 months before it started, and it was not even a new market for US. Now the CDG flight is doing well enough to bump the equipment up to an A330-300 next summer.