Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Honestly, anything done to the airport in the past 10 or so years I think looks great - the new parking decks, the "D" section of check-in (unfortunately only JetBlue and Lufthansa are down there), Concourse D, and even Concourse E (I think it's great for a regional concourse). There was a ton of money poured into these projects. I agree - most of the check-in area needs work, the outside curbside area needs work, and the baggage claim needs work. The video screens need to be replaced throughout the entire airport. But if the new improvements over the past 10 years lend a hint to what any new improvements will be like, then I am not so worried.

I know I'm new to the boards. but I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm originally from NYC home of LGA and JFK, and anyone who knows those airports know that it is the destination of NYC and not the airport that anyone cares about. I can't of a soul whose first thoughts about the city are its airport

Do I think that CLT needs some upgrades? Absolutely, though as with most, I think it needs to be with the screens more than anything else. The next most important item would be direct rail access (LRT or Streetcar) to the terminal. A city not yet established as a major player needs to have a pretty seamless integration between its air and center city connection if it wants to continue to grow. In other words, I think the changes at CLT need to be organic and related to efficiency in travel from airplane to setting foot inside the city more than anything else.

Just my two cents.

Miesian....Your dislike for the CLT airport and Jerry seems very strong and you do have some legitimate concerns, but you have heard "he who lives in a glass house". Yes I do work for the AD and at any given time when driving across the ramp I see many of the Thugs on Tugs acting like fools...Just look out the terminal windows and see how many rampers are walking around with their pants have way down their butts and hats on sideways, breakrooms that are trashed everyday....There is plenty of blame to go around, I just thinks it's not fair that all of it is pointed at the managment of the airport...Poor maintenance, is that the same as an overhead bin that been sealed off with duct tape, I've seen a few of those in my travels...Believe it or not, but Jerry had a lot to do with keeping this hub here...I wont argue that he has his strange ways of doing things, but his ultimate goal is keeping the cost as low as possible for the hub to survive....Airlines and airports must work together more now than ever.....

You will find no disagreement with me about how some of the airplanes the airline I work for flies around. But a broken tray table or overhead bin goes into a log book and is tracked by the FAA. It gets repaired, but in the meantime, yes, it is a poor reflection of the airline, no doubt about it. Meanwhile at CLT/Douglas Airport, broken monitors, elevators that are inoperative for months at the time, moving sidewalks that have never been cleaned and are routinely not running, and an arrivals/baggage area that looks like a Third World air terminal (no, scratch that, I was in Tirana, Albania a couple of years ago and it looked better)--all of these things NEVER get repaired. They stay broken. Those issues are a poor reflection of MY hometown. I'm not asking for Frank Gehry or Kohn Petersen Fox to come design a brand new terminal for Charlotte, I just want better maintenance at what we have now. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

And as for my dislike for Mr Orr, that goes back to the crash of USAir 1016 in 1994. I will never forget watching him give a news conference live on CNN making some of the most inappropriate comments ever.

You will find no disagreement with me about how some of the airplanes the airline I work for flies around. But a broken tray table or overhead bin goes into a log book and is tracked by the FAA. It gets repaired, but in the meantime, yes, it is a poor reflection of the airline, no doubt about it. Meanwhile at CLT/Douglas Airport, broken monitors, elevators that are inoperative for months at the time, moving sidewalks that have never been cleaned and are routinely not running, and an arrivals/baggage area that looks like a Third World air terminal (no, scratch that, I was in Tirana, Albania a couple of years ago and it looked better)--all of these things NEVER get repaired. They stay broken. Those issues are a poor reflection of MY hometown. I'm not asking for Frank Gehry or Kohn Petersen Fox to come design a brand new terminal for Charlotte, I just want better maintenance at what we have now. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

And as for my dislike for Mr Orr, that goes back to the crash of USAir 1016 in 1994. I will never forget watching him give a news conference live on CNN making some of the most inappropriate comments ever.

Anybody know whose GENIUS idea it was to put that damn courtesy smoking area on the pickup ramp. Last time I flew into CLT, the ENTIRE A/B concourse side pickup area reeked of smoke. This afternoon, when arriving at CLT, the ENTIRE A BAGGAGE CLAIM smelled like a sports bar. It was embarrasing, and disgusting.

The Connecting portion of the airport is nice, but this is another example of the landside portion of the terminal being in absolute shambles. What a third world dump.

Being the optimist that I am, I think that the Charlotte airport is fairly nice. It could use a few more cafes in the baggage claim area, the television for departures and arrivals are not coordinated. Yesterday I was looking for the arrival time for a flight from Tampa. Upstairs it said 10:24am and downstairs it said 10:02. Actually the plane arrived at 9:52. It seems rather small for the amount of customers but probably sufficient at this point. My negative experience was in June, when boarding a flight to Atlanta with a final destination of Barcelona. The security guard in Charlotte stole my wifes perscription medicine. She actually took the medicine out of the bottle without any notification. I would have reported it but we were away for six weeks. So, it seems that if we have workers loading planes and doing outside work with their pants halfway down their asses and thieves working in security, we need to do some serious updates in screening employees in the place. Newflash!! you can't work hard, quickly, or proficiently with you pants sagging like that.

It's the beginning of the busiest travel season of the year. This photo was taken the day before Thanksgiving at the C Concourse security screening area. Notice anything?

I am currently sitting in the C concourse and those screens are working. However I was walking by the depature screen at the beginning of C concourse and witnessed one screen make a loud noise then stop working, it was humorous. I have to ask as I SIT ON THE FLOOR in C2, why the hell are there only two sets of plugs per 100 seats (rough estimation there might be more seats per plug than that)?

Anybody know whose GENIUS idea it was to put that damn courtesy smoking area on the pickup ramp. Last time I flew into CLT, the ENTIRE A/B concourse side pickup area reeked of smoke. This afternoon, when arriving at CLT, the ENTIRE A BAGGAGE CLAIM smelled like a sports bar. It was embarrasing, and disgusting.

A lot of people dont even go the Courtes Areas. When the NC Laws change in 2010 the Charlotte airport will likely go completely Non Smoking..even on the outdoor curbs. Right now the Airport has no legal authority to enfore no smoking outside on the curb.

I am currently sitting in the C concourse and those screens are working. However I was walking by the depature screen at the beginning of C concourse and witnessed one screen make a loud noise then stop working, it was humorous. I have to ask as I SIT ON THE FLOOR in C2, why the hell are there only two sets of plugs per 100 seats (rough estimation there might be more seats per plug than that)?

Over on the B Concourse the Airport is testing out a laptop workstation area with lots of plugs. Similar to the laptop areas in JetBlue's T5 at JFK. If the response is good then they plan to put those workstation areas throughout the terminal.

Over on the B Concourse the Airport is testing out a laptop workstation area with lots of plugs. Similar to the laptop areas in JetBlue's T5 at JFK. If the response is good then they plan to put those workstation areas throughout the terminal.

Thank god I am perpetually early to flights and I am absolutely sick and tired of having to fight for the right to sit on the floor by my gate so I can use my computer!

Anyone know what the timeframe is for the Old Dowd Road projects (bridge to Wilkinson and the freight tracks under the road? I assume that is what the bridging on Old Down Rd is for - right? Tracks onto the airport between the new runways?) I think I'm picturing it right...

The bridge over the future railway connection between the runways is already open. According to the Jerry's website, the bridge to Wilkinson was supposed to open in November, but as of today, it's still closed. Edited by Miesian Corners

I read in another forum that the US-TACA codeshare announced last week could eventually mean flights from Charlotte to Lima, maybe even on TACA metal. Has anyone heard anything regarding this?

TACA should be joining Star sometime in 2010. This makes complete sense (which is rare at my company). I'd be surprised if it's on US metal, as we delayed deliveries of 5 A330 widebodies and 18 narrowbodies that were scheduled for delivery next year. Now we're only getting 2 A330s and 2 A320 family a/c.

Madrid and Sao Paulo, i'll guess.

Wouldn't be surprised to see summer 757's to Dublin either.

Sao Paulo is already scheduled to start. Madrid would be great, but I would really prefer Barcelona. There was talk last year of a flight to Shannon or Dublin beginning in the near future. I often fly to both Barcelona and Dublin. Sure will be nice not to have to go through JFK or Atlanta.