Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

According to a thread on Airlines.net, US Airways has applied to fly Charlotte - Puerto Vallarta 4 weekly flights and Charlotte - San Jose del Cabo Mexico 5 frequencies per week.

So, that would put Charlotte's new destinations for 2010 at:

Rome

Sao Paulo

Honolulu

Paris

Puerto Vallarta

San Jose Del Cabo

Am I missing any?

According to a thread on Airlines.net, US Airways has applied to fly Charlotte - Puerto Vallarta 4 weekly flights and Charlotte - San Jose del Cabo Mexico 5 frequencies per week.

Rome

Sao Paulo

Honolulu

Paris

Puerto Vallarta

San Jose Del Cabo

Am I missing any?

Unless the slot transaction goes through with Delta, which is now in doubt, Sao Paulo will probably not be happening. If slots become available though, and US Airways applies it could potentially happen in the near future.

On a different note, I saw on WBTV on line that the new runway will save the airlines 65 million dollars per year. Since US does most of the flying, I figure between 55 and 60 million of these savings will be for US. It should help in easing some of their financial woes.

Unless the slot transaction goes through with Delta, which is now in doubt, Sao Paulo will probably not be happening. If slots become available though, and US Airways applies it could potentially happen in the near future.

On a different note, I saw on WBTV on line that the new runway will save the airlines 65 million dollars per year. Since US does most of the flying, I figure between 55 and 60 million of these savings will be for US. It should help in easing some of their financial woes.

While having the new runway is nice, it's a little annoying too. I flew STL-CLT-AGS and back this week. Both times I arrived in CLT on CRJ's, which dock in the E concourse. Both times, we landed on 36L. Its a looooooong way from 36L to the far corner of E. Took almost 20 minutes touchdown to gate. The flight from augusta itself wasn't much longer than that! It would probably save even more money if they were able to build a taxiway over the top of the airport bridged over the access highway.

Rome

Sao Paulo

Honolulu

Paris

Puerto Vallarta

San Jose Del Cabo

Am I missing any?

Tel Aviv, Rio & Oslo i think

So I saw where Charlotte was ranked by JD Powers as the 6th Best Large Airport in the USA...for Customer Satisfaction. Here are the rankings:

1. Detroit

2. Denver

3. Minneapolis

4. Orlando

5. Phoenix

6. Charlotte

7. Dallas

8. Houston

9. Las Vegas

10. Atlanta

I would have to say from my personal experiences I think this is a pretty fair ranking. But good grief get those damn LCD screans installed!

Maybe with Electralux, Oslo wouldn't be off the wall. It is possible to be in Sweden and be closer to Oslo than Stockholm. Preferably, we will get Dublin and Stockholm.

Except the parent companies for Husqvarna and Electrolux are both located in Stockholm. ARN really makes the most sense if any. If the CRP and/or the Chamber really tries to forge a true Charlotte-Stockholm partnership, maybe we will get a flight to ARN. Maybe US could use a 757 ETOPS. I think Icelandair Cargo used to have a flight to Malmo, Sweden on a 757-200F, although it may have stopped somewhere...I'm not sure. Plus Malmo may be a little closer than ARN and just because they're both 757s doesn't necessarily mean they have the same range. If we were really lucky, we would get an SAS A340 on that route, although that probably won't happen, even if there is a CLT-ARN flight someday.

- US Airways Express intends to add six additional aircraft to two hub banks (there are 8-9 banks per day) using Concourse E, starting in March. In order to accommodate the additional aircraft, the Airport must immediately add another 120-foot section to the concourse to provide temporary walkways and more gate space for the additional passenger load. This is surprising since Concourse E already has 32 gates and its most recent expansion is barely 2 years old.

I was reading on USaviation.com that US Airways intends to have 710 daily flights out of Charlotte or so as soon as runway 18R goes CATIII. US Airways currently has 547 flights out of Charlotte. This guy apparently sat in 2 meetings where the manager actually said that.

The other guys reacted as if it were plausible. And based on what you say makes it sound more plausible.

http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48307&st=9

Actual post:

"I sat in on two event meetings and we were told that US is planning on approx 710 flts a day out of CLT as soon as 18R goes CAT III, this was confirmed by a manager from US also....but he explained it as putting 5 pounds of poop in a two pound bag... "

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

The "emergency" expansion of Concourse E could accomidate 54 additional daily flights....but this March will only be used for 12 additional dailys. So to get to that 710 number they will need to expand Councourse B and/or build the International Terminal...or park planes on the tarmac and bus people in.

The "emergency" expansion of Concourse E could accomidate 54 additional daily flights....but this March will only be used for 12 additional dailys. So to get to that 710 number they will need to expand Councourse B and/or build the International Terminal...or park planes on the tarmac and bus people in.

I guess that'd explain the "5 pounds of poop in a 2 pound bag" comment. Which, I didn't think Charlotte could handle 163 more daily flights as it stands. I'd hope US Airways would have a plan to add an aditional 163 daily flights before they'd try to implement it (assuming this alleged talk occurred). I'd assume any corporation would but, eh. The poop comment doesn't really give me much faith that they'd have a good plan if they really were to implement such an expansion...

CLT is cramped, however at one point, prior to the change in the airline industry in favor of regional jets over mainline, Charlotte operated approximately 100 more mainline flights per day than it does now. I think at that time they were running between 300 and 320 mainline flights for US then. That was before concourse E was built and before concourse D was expanded to it's current 13 gates. Those mainline flights were handled with B and C being the same size as they are now, which means that CLT should be able to handle the flights if it's true that CLT will get 710 flights.

Edited by cltbwimob

The next question is...where would the planes come from? Does this mean they are shutting down the PHX hub? None of this really makes any sense. I think the 710 is a bit pie in the sky at this point. There are no "extra" planes lying around at US Airways.

What about a continued pull down of Las Vegas, Boston, and Pittsburgh? I assume theirs not much mainline in LGA to pull from and I doubt they'd let go of any slots for nothing. Maybe they could pull mainline from PHX and put in more express. (PHX has 186 mainline flights and 79 express).

If only US could shutter the LGA focus city.

What about a continued pull down of Las Vegas, Boston, and Pittsburgh? I assume theirs not much mainline in LGA to pull from and I doubt they'd let go of any slots for nothing. Maybe they could pull mainline from PHX and put in more express. (PHX has 186 mainline flights and 79 express).

If only US could shutter the LGA focus city.

No mainline flights are affected at LGA and mainline flights out of BOS will only be reduced by 4 daily round trips (all Caribbean flying ends in BOS effective May 2). LGA will no longer be focus city when (and if) the Express flights are exchanged with Delta. The flight hours that were based in LGA and BOS by US mainline crews are being moved to CLT, PHL, and DCA.

Whats really strange is the final expansion of e-con will have at least 1 widebody gate supposedly for a 330, that was just thrown in the plan recently....but that could change as fast as it was added....

Did some research into this and the new expansion of Concourse E will be 2 levels. With the gate area on Level 2 and Bag Room for Express on the ground level. The 2 new gates at the end will indeed be A330 capable (large wide body jets) and the lower level can be turned into an "auxilliary" international arrivals area. The airport already has US Customs approval to do this. The plan is to have this new expansion up and running in about a year from now.

You can read more details about this and other airport projects from the Feb Meeting Minutes of the Airport Advisory Cmte:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/evtrvfxvtdr6nwdrrh5fajl3eu74hkez7yqor6rmkw2riyldgmusc5sj2drbingmj6uig5z6xnjje4kyhuweakozicd/Feb4Minutes.pdf

Charlotte has quite the international portfolio being built up with;

Frankfurt, Munich, Rome, Paris, London, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Rio De Janeiro, Mexico City, San Jose Del Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Cozumel, Belize City, Liberia, San Jose, Aruba, Bidgetown, Saint Lucia, Antigua, Saint Kitts, Saint Thomas, Saint Croix, Saint Maarten, San Juan, Punta Cana, Providenciales, Montego Bay, Gran Caymen Island, Nassau, and Freeport.

Anyway. Will them A330 gates be able to be turned into more express gates or mainline gates once the new International terminal is opened?

What would happen with D once the new international terminal is opened? I wonder if US would take over most of the gates for domestic operations (to lock out competition)