Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I can imagine that CLT will see less SC tags in the garages now with Southwest coming to the Palmetto State.

Probably some less, however I don't believe that WN's entry into GSP is going to matter that much to Charlotte. Southwest will probably not have more than a handful of destinations from GSP and some of the likely destinations (i.e. Baltimore) already have LCC service from Charlotte...I don't think that this announcement is going to much more difference than a rounding error in CLTs O&D numbers, and certainly not their overall pax numbers. I could be wrong though.

Probably some less, however I don't believe that WN's entry into GSP is going to matter that much to Charlotte. Southwest will probably not have more than a handful of destinations from GSP and some of the likely destinations (i.e. Baltimore) already have LCC service from Charlotte...I don't think that this announcement is going to much more difference than a rounding error in CLTs O&D numbers, and certainly not their overall pax numbers. I could be wrong though.

You do have a point. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of driving to fly out of another city to take a flight; when I land, I want to be in close proximity to my home and not have to worry about an hour plus drive.

You can put me in the "thank you for going to SC, Southwest" bandwagon. I consider this nothing but a positive thing for CLT. First of all, SW will just put a handful of flights in SC, they aren't building a hub or anything like that. Whatever destinations they fly to from Greenville and Charleston which are likely something like Dallas-Love, Nashville and Chicago-Midway will only HELP Charlotte out. US Airways and other airlines will only be forced to discount their fares to those cities. This is great news for travelers in both SC and NC. This will help increase compeition for fares. And I think this officially kills any speculation of Southwest coming to CLT, which is fine by me. I'd much prefer JetBlue (who I think is the best discount carrier) to expand here than anything else.

It makes no sense to add international gates at the end of a commuter terminal... Not only is it FAR from the rest of the airport, plans are in place to add an international terminal on the other side of the A concourse where the rental cars are. Oh well...

The future International Terminal over by the A Concourse is a minimum of 5 years away. The international gates at the end of Concourse E is meant as a stop gap measure to allow US Airways to continue International Expansion until the new terminal is built.

I too would prefer Jet Blue expansion at CLT. The free entertainment is a huge plus over Southwest. But right now, I believe they only fly direct currently to JFK and Logan (though I've previously flown Jet Blue direct to Fort Lauderdale). Air Tran is another low-cost carrier, which I think only flies direct to Atlanta and BWI. At least that's four major airports that US Airways can't gouge you for flights.

I too would prefer Jet Blue expansion at CLT. The free entertainment is a huge plus over Southwest. But right now, I believe they only fly direct currently to JFK and Logan (though I've previously flown Jet Blue direct to Fort Lauderdale). Air Tran is another low-cost carrier, which I think only flies direct to Atlanta and BWI. At least that's four major airports that US Airways can't gouge you for flights.

Jetblue flies to JFK, Boston and Ft Lauderdale. Airtran goes to ATL, Baltimore and Orlando. I know the used to goto Chicago-Midway. Not sure if they still do.

^Jet Blue used to fly CLT to FLL direct (I've flown it more than once before). But in searching flights on Jet Blue's website, I'm not finding that option anymore.

FLL is now seasonal like it originaly was suppose to be orginally.

Also looking on flight stats............international gates for all flights fco 1x 333,2x phl 332,762, 1x lgw-333, 1xcdg-332, 1x fra-333, 1x muc-346 from 425 to625 (all should be on ground at gates for a short period don't know hows its gonna fit though) they are using D-2,3,9,10,11,12,13 (can all those gates be configured for heavies at same time) for the first time ever over half of the 13 gates will be occupied by heavies at once

Edited by CltFlyer

US Airways and TAM (Brazil's largest airline) announced they plan to codeshare on the Charlotte-Rio flight. Also TAM just joined the Star Alliance so this will really open up the rest of Brazil to US Airways through the TAM Rio hub. And on the flip side this will open up the USA to TAM customers through Charlotte. Hopefully this will bode well for the Charlotte-Rio flight.

• 3 weeks later...

US Airways has launched wi-fi service on all their A-321 planes (I'm assuming the rest of their fleet will get it over time). I'm on an A-321 next week for work, so I will definitely be checking this out. Maybe even post on UP too ;)

Yes, this actually began a month or so ago. As they have been upfitting the planes for this, it has been free on the planes that have already gotten it. A few weeks ago my boss and I were on flights to Denver...I was flying to Denver from Charlotte, and my boss was flying to Denver from Philly, and we were going back and forth over email modifying a presentation - both in the air. Pretty cool. I also streamed a Netflix movie to my iPad, and the speed was pretty nice. Not quite the same quality as broadband, but not bad!

Edit: It won't be free forever - this was just during the rollout, which might already be over. They will be charging $9.95/flight for access after that. They just told me that they would start charging sometime this month.

Edited by ScottCLT

• 4 weeks later...

look for the 763 toc ome back from Ba first.............about 170 seats same Ba service same beautiful livery a few less seats........

on another note American clt-dallas goes from 5 daily to 6 daily as well as clt-ord dont know aircraft yet in november

Edited by CltFlyer

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone has been in and noticed at the airport lately, but the bar in the main concourse across from the Bank of America business center is now a sushi joint. First in Flight has a nice selection of sushi for both take out and sit down dining. I sat down for a Kirin and sushi a few weeks back. I will have to say, it actually was pretty good. Considering airport food is never the best, I was pretty impressed with the quality and freshness of the seafood. Everything is made onsite. I believe the company that runs the place is using this as a pilot and will be rolling it out to other large airports across the country. I think Atlanta, Dallas and Chicago have been mentioned as possible locations.

For those who would like to see British Airways back in CLT, I read a little article that implied that Oneworld with it's AA/BA/IB joint venture intends to begin targeting Star Alliance Hubs. The article even mentioned Charlotte (no NC) as a possibility for these new services. The article is somewhat vague and doesn't exactly say what type of new services may be offered or on what airline. However, this article along with the fact that a BA exec has already stated he would like to open 2-3 new US destinations later this year, should at least get the speculative thinking started.

http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2010/07/22/american-posts-substantial-improvement-despite-loss-new-aircraft-order-and-management-realignment/page1