Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Someone on another forum who claims to have access to CLT airport planning says that Lufthansa recently asked the airport to model in CAD the new Boeing 747-800 at their current gate to see if it will fit.

True...saw it myself...

Also, Curbside Valet is to start using the new Business Valet Deck soon, their current parking lot (old red lot) is getting torn out for the A Ramp expansion....

True...saw it myself...

Also, Curbside Valet is to start using the new Business Valet Deck soon, their current parking lot (old red lot) is getting torn out for the A Ramp expansion....

Is the 747-8i even going to be flown to and from Munich? I didn't think Lufthansa flew their 747-400s from Munich and figured that would apply to the 747-8i as well.

Is the 747-8i even going to be flown to and from Munich? I didn't think Lufthansa flew their 747-400s from Munich and figured that would apply to the 747-8i as well.

I think LH is just doing some prep work in case the market were to change, I couldn't imagine CLT filling an aircraft that size..unless there is a whole bunch of cargo to help pay for the operating costs.

I think LH is just doing some prep work in case the market were to change, I couldn't imagine CLT filling an aircraft that size..unless there is a whole bunch of cargo to help pay for the operating costs.

Actually I think the operating cost may be less than the A340-600. I assumed the new 747s would be constructed much in the same manner as the 787 with lightweight composite materials. The 787 is supposed to reduce fuel cost by a significant amount and I figured the 747-8i would follow suit. As far as filling the plane, I don't think they would have too much problem filling it from Charlotte.

Construction has begun on the East Terminal Expansion. When completed next year, the expansion will give arriving international passengers their own TSA screening point for those who are connecting, as well as a new TSA security area for local traffic using Concourse E.

When will we see construction on the actual building front? I don't get to see a lot of the inside changes because I don't fly as much as I used to.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I flew out of CLT a few weeks ago to LaGuardia i noticed the flat screen TVs were installed in the baggage claims.....One thing I didn't like though....they are small and even the font is small. I had such a hard time reading it. You literally have to stand right in front of them to see anything! :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Just noticed that there are a couple of items out for Bid at the Airport:

- Baggage Claim Renovation

- Rental Car Facility

- Runway 5-23 Deicing Pads

These all come due in the first half of March. So if the bids go well we could see City Council Action on these sometime in April and construction start this summer.

Also this summer will see some reconfig of the food options:

- The old US Airways Club on Concourse D will become Pinkberry, Ciao Gorment Market, and a Sushi Bar

- The Concourse E Food Court will be reconcepted in a Market Style Eatery with a bunch of stations...that will replace Fox Sports Grille and Speedway Grill

- The main Food Court will also be renovated with new signage and seating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not. Too. Shabby.

http://charlotte.news14.com/content/top_stories/638115/charlotte-airport-is-fastest-growing-in-u-s-

WORLD’S BUSIEST AIRPORTS – Preliminary Ranking

Table 1 – AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS 2010 MOVEMENTS

1 ATLANTA GA, US (ATL) 950 119 (2.1)

2 CHICAGO IL, US (ORD) 882 614 6.4

3 DALLAS/FORT WORTH TX, US (DFW) 652 261 2.1

4 DENVER CO, US (DEN) 630 089 3.8

5 LOS ANGELES CA, US (LAX) 575 835 5.3

6 HOUSTON TX, US (IAH) 531 347 (1.3)

7 CHARLOTTE NC, US (CLT) 529 101 3.9

8 BEIJING, CN (PEK) 517 582 6.0

9 LAS VEGAS NV, US (LAS) 505 591 (1.1)

10 PARIS, FR (CDG) 499 997 (4.8)

I think that is impressive also. Unfortunately, most of the list compiled for these purposes use passenger numbers not movements (landings / takeoffs). Beijing International is the 2nd busiest airport in the World, and will probably overtake Hartsfield in Atlanta within 2 -3 years. Paris is 7th in the World by passenger travel. There is no mistaking which airport is busier if you were to walk through both Beijing and Charlotte. I don't point this out as a slight on Charlotte in the least (I would like Charlotte to be #1 on every list). Even using the correct comparison, I think it is impressive that Charlotte is / was 24th in passenger travel in the World when you think of all the cities out there.