Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

To compete with United/Continental, US should at least try to buy AA. I can see Latin American flights largely moving then from CLT to MIA (a bit ironic for Chiquita). However, the domestic connections currently at AA's hub in MIA could then move to CLT to compete better with Delta's dominance of ATL.

Maybe not. AAs domestic flying at MIA is pretty limited. The Latin American flights there are, to a good degree, O&D. CLT also has Miami beat (hands down) in terms of the cost of doing business. Air carriers using MIA spend $18.70 per passenger. At CLT (the least expensive major airport in the USA), it costs them $1.37. In fact, MIA has the next to highest per per passenger cost of any major US airport (EWR is the highest at $22.50). Edited by Miesian Corners

^All I'm saying is American would make a better partner than Delta in order to grow, or just keep, the number of flights at CLT. If US Airways were to merge or be acquired by Delta, you can guarantee that ATL would be retained, not CLT.

Granted, American has closed hubs, too, but so has US Airways. American reduced STL to a shadow of itself, after acquiring TWA. But STL couldn't compete with American already having an existing hub in nearby, second-largest ORD (Chicago-O'Hare).

In contrast to Chicago-St. Louis (AA/TWA), or Atlanta-Charlotte (Delta/US), there is a greater distance between Miami and Charlotte. MIA seems far enough away from CLT for AA/US to retain both hubs, just MIA more so as the Latin American hub (slight loss to CLT), while CLT more so for domestic connections (slight gain).

Right, we agree that CLT has better geography than MIA as a strategic hub for any legacy airline not already having a hub in ATL.

However, we disagree on whether CLT could retain so many Latin American connections over MIA. Frankly, I see MIA as having better geography for those connections, just as CLT has better geography for domestic connections.

No doubt, CLT could retain some international flights to Latin America. But just as PHL has more flights to Europe (though likely shifted to JFK if merged with AA), MIA would easily have more flights to Latin America. Still, CLT can outperform both PHL (or JFK) and MIA as a domestic hub.

But again, no need to worry too much about a future airline merger, unless it's with Delta.

Edited by southslider

It would be interesting to see how that plays out. For a Latin American "gateway" to work, you need direct domestic flights in/out of the gateway - people only want to make 1 connection. So that would favor the domestic hub. However if they moved those flights from MIA to CLT then the Latin American carriers (LAN, Copa, Avianca) would grab the O&D traffic from MIA.

I apologize if this has been answered in a previous post, but are there any plans to revamp the airport overlook? I ask because our overlook sort of seems like an afterthought, especially compared to other airport overlooks I've seen. A simple paving would go a long way in improving that gravel lot.

On a side note, has anyone visited the overlook when the large Luftshansa (Munich) flight lands? There is an older lady there who sort of puts on a show :) .

Yes there are plans on the table for a revamp. An island has been installed already and the next phase should most likely be repaving. Also on the list is solar lighting, FAA audio and possible stadium seating....probably the earliest will be spring time....

Yes there are plans on the table for a revamp. An island has been installed already and the next phase should most likely be repaving. Also on the list is solar lighting, FAA audio and possible stadium seating....probably the earliest will be spring time....

Thanks MikeNC! I'm glad to hear something is in the works at least. There are always quite a few people there whenever I visit.

I flew out of CLT for the first time in a few months (which is far too infrequent for me normally) and was amazed at how many changes have taken place since Labor Day weekend. Bad Daddy's Burger Bar is up and running in the C Concourse (it was packed), the entire baggage area has been gutted and it looks like the remodeling is underway, you can see the East terminal expansion underway from the outside and I believe they are preparing to knock down the old 1982 parking decks to make way for the new rental car facility. The paved parking area between those decks and the newer East/West decks is now fenced off. You can no longer walk from the East/West decks to the main terminal as you now have to take the shuttle bus. The bus seems to be running at a better frequency as a result. Additionally they have those express parking ticket pay systems up and running. So when you get off the shuttle you can pay for your ticket with a credit card then exit the parking deck. I will say the new system is much improved compared to those painful lines at the manned ticket booths you used to have to go through. There still is the option to pay with cash.

Edited by dbull75

Delta is adding several CLT-LGA flights as a result of the slot swap.

I have to say I'm still a little surprised about the gate swap with Delta. LGA is such a big market for US Airways, both from a leisure and business traveler perspective. I know USA is ramping up service to/from Reagan, but I just don't see the same benefit from having a larger presence at LaGuardia.

I have to say I'm still a little surprised about the gate swap with Delta. LGA is such a big market for US Airways, both from a leisure and business traveler perspective. I know USA is ramping up service to/from Reagan, but I just don't see the same benefit from having a larger presence at LaGuardia.

It's all about where the airline's strengths are. US was being pummeled at the cost of using regional jets at LaGuardia. With the DL swap, US gets $66 million in cash, 42 slots and four gates at DCA, and a daily authority to Sao Paulo from CLT. It also gets to dump all of the inefficient and expensive regional flying at LGA, while keeping all of its mainline capacity there. In addition, the airline will stay in its current terminal at LGA and DL will build US a new US Airways Club. Mainline US crews are thrilled with the deal, as nearly all new flying at DCA will be flown by them, not the regionals. Expect to see new cities added to CLT because of this transaction as well. With US adding non-stops from DCA to DSM, OKC, and OMA, flights are also expected to follow from those cities to hubs at CLT and PHL. Edited by Miesian Corners

^I guess I never knew how inefficient the regional flights to LaGuardia were. Sounds like USAirways may of gotten a better deal than I originally thought. A new US Airways club at LaGuardia will be nice as well. Good to see that Des Moines, Omaha and Oklahoma City will finally become new destinations. Those always seemed like logical targets for US Airways.

As a former US Flight Attendant I can say that mergers are horrible for employees. American wants nothing to do with USAirways. I think AA could emerge from Bankruptcy and stand alone. Having said that they have gone from largest airline in the world to 3rd I believe. Merging with US would probably bump a combined airline into 2nd I believe. Either way US is still trying to work out new union contracts with FAs and Pilots. That drama has been going on for 6 years now. Not fun.

If AA and US merge Charlotte should remain as is and probably grow some. It is just too cheap to do business in Charlotte for service to shift to other major cities.

• 2 weeks later...

Potential American/US merger?

http://www.bloomberg...bankruptcy.html

Looks like there are potential buyers for American that would not be good for US:

Delta Air Lines Inc. and private equity firm TPG Capital are separately assessing possible bids for American Airlines parent AMR Corp., with hopes that AMR's troubles present another opportunity for airline consolidation, people familiar with the matter said.

http://online.wsj.co...ories#printMode

EDIT: And while not yet in print it now looks like USair will jump into the bidding war

Edited by kermit

^I was just going to comment and say US Airways may be jumping into the bidding war too. I would think that US Air would have the upper hand here. There would be way too many hurdles for Delta to overcome to get regulatory approval by comparison. They were recently the largest airline before the Continental/United merger. US Air is a distant 4th right now.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/southwest-airlines-will-keep-flying-to-22-airtran-cities-drop-15-others/2012/01/20/gIQAnAzWEQ_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

All I can say is it's about time! Southwest Airlines is coming to Charlotte. I know it'll replace AirTran, but I have a good feeling about Southwest coming in.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the whole "Southwest effect" pans out. Not just in Charlotte but all these other "new" markets as well. With their Airtran merger, I'm not really convinced they will do much more for the Airtran markets than Airtrain themselves already did. Most of the routes will probably stay the same and they may add one or two that doesn't already exist from the Airtran catalog (think Houston-Hobby or *maybe* Vegas). I think we're kidding ourselves if we believe Southwest is going to add a slew of new destinations compared to what Airtran had. Given all the new markets they will be absorbing they will be hard pressed to offer much more. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get from everything I've seen. Still would be nice to have options though.

Edited by dbull75

dbull, I think you'd be right on the money with this one. I don't look for WN to add all that much more at CLT.

Off topic, Southwest might have finally bitten off more than it's prepared to handle. The dismantling the hubs at ATL and BWI has already angered many AirTran employees. Don't think this merger is going to be as smooth as the LUV mongers expected it to be.

The airline consolidation plot thickens:

Delta Air Lines Inc. is studying US Airways Group Inc. as a possible acquisition target, people familiar with the matter said, the latest twist in a swirl of deal-strategizing for the industry.

US Airways is open to being both buyer and seller and is expecting Delta to reach out, the people said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204573704577187373128520982.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

A few airport updates...

LCD monitors are now up for e departures/arrivals screens in the main atrium. Still more old ones around the airport to convert, though.

The BofA business center has closed, and a new wine bar will open in its place. strangely enough, there are big HMS host logos on the signs. I tout that The Paradies Shops took over everything?

The bar/restaurant on the A concourse is closed and being converted into something else (no sign).

Looks like they are installing visual paging system. Blue tape on the walls mark where the new monitors will go.

I had to pick someone up at the airport yesterday and saw that they are already making progress on the new hourly deck. The paved area has been complete ripped up and they are now digging down. Found some more info courtesy of a press release from the airport. Looks like the old hourly decks will come down in mid-2013 to pave way for the terminal renovation:

For more information, please contact

Lee Davis, Public Affairs Manager, 704-359-4933

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - December 13, 2011

Construction Begins on CLT’s New Hourly Deck

Construction of CLT’s new Hourly deck is underway. Construction zone fencing is in place, and equipment

has arrived. When completed, the new deck will contain 7 levels and 7,000 parking spaces. The $120

million project, located in front of the existing Daily decks, is being constructed in two phases. Phase one

includes building the back half (north end) of the deck. After the first phase is completed in June 2013, CLT

will open the back half of the deck to the public. The Airport will then begin phase two of the project, which

involves demolishing the two existing Hourly decks and starting work on the front half (south end) of the

new Hourly deck. Completion is anticipated for December 2014.

The top four floors of the new deck will house 3,200 public parking spaces. The lower three levels of the

new deck will include a rental car return facility encompassing 3,800 rental car spaces, check-in counters

and a service area to wash and refuel the cars. Once completed, passengers will pick-up and drop-off their

rental vehicles inside the deck, eliminating rental car shuttles to and from the terminal. Airport rental-car

fees will fund that part of the project. Archer Western Contractors was selected to build the deck. CLT

customers and visitors are advised to visit cltairport.com for current parking status