RSC Chosen

mgreven

Committee Approves a Proposal for Fulton Avenue and Division Avenue

Corner of Fulton Street and Division Avenue

Grand Rapids - An entertainment, residential complex is the choice for one of the few remaining vacant properties in downtown Grand Rapids.

A special committee reviewing development plans for the corner of Fulton Street and Division Avenue decided on a proposal from RSC Associates in Chicago and Grand Rapids partner Second Story Properties.

"For me it was a design question," says Grand Rapids mayor George Heartwell. "I like the glass and attractive exterior."

Mayor Heartwell and other political, business and community leaders were appointed to a committee to evaluate development plans for Fulton and Division and make a recommendation to the City Commission. The plan from RSC Associates and Second Story Properties includes a jazz club, billiard hall and book store alongside an 11 story condominium building.

"We figured out from a design perspective what we thought would work best there," says Sam Cummings of Second Story Properties. "I think we came up with something everyone in the city can be proud of."

The committee reviewing the development proposals also liked a plan submitted by Rockford Construction Company. That proposal included a CVS drug store and five story condominium building. Many on the committee thought it was a good plan, just not as good as the entertainment complex.

"I think Rockford had an outstanding proposal," says downtown business owner and committee member Joseph Niewiek. "I think they are wonderful from a design standpoint. Just not something I'm personally attracted to."

The committee will now send their recommendation to the City Commission. If the commissioners approve the plan and accept the two million dollar bid for the property, construction could begin as soon as this fall. The developer says the project will take just over two years to complete.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad that they didn't pick Rockford Construction's plan. Looks like the Fulton and Division proposal was some kind of shady deal.

I would like more height, but if they can pull off all that they have promoted (including Movie Theatre, Jazz Club and Billiard Hall), I think it will be a nice addition to downtown.

I know that they could not start immediately, does anybody know what their timeline is?

Joe

I know that they could not start immediately, does anybody know what their timeline is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the first post in this thread:

"If the commissioners approve the plan and accept the two million dollar bid for the property, construction could begin as soon as this fall. The developer says the project will take just over two years to complete."

I will admit, at the start of this process, that I was afraid that the city would go with somthing silly like a parking ramp or a "temporary" parking lot. I think the city has made the best choice and I cant wait to see the finished project. I just hope that the Moch family arent involved with this project! :blink:

:blink:  VERY ASTUTE, GRDadof3!  Even spooky in a "vision-of-GR's-future" kind of way, huh?  wow.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It totally floored me when I saw it too :blink: Emporis says that Evanston is 74,360 people in 8 square miles! I wonder if they include students at Northwestern in that? That would be a great (realistic) goal for density. Evanston has the same weather that we have here (sometimes colder due to the heavy wind), although being right on Lake Michigan, EL access to downtown Chicago, and having a major University helps a little :P

A special committee reviewing development plans for the corner of Fulton Street and Division Avenue decided on a proposal from RSC Associates in Chicago and Grand Rapids partner Second Story Properties.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea!! When I saw the renderings I was hoping it would be that one. (Except that I like the corner-facing cupola aspect to The CVS Project.)

--Veloise

well, we just have to wait for the commission to make it official next month -- till then, i wouldnt get too excited. i know im trying not to get too excited as i really loved the bookstore/jazz club that this option brings to downtown gr.

besides, does anyone know if the bookstore will be a national chain (ie Barnes and Noble or Borders?)

Someone, somewhere said they heard that they are talking to a couple of local bookstores. That scares me because other than Schulers, that would mean Kregel's or Family Christian Bookstores, which is not what I think anyone had in mind when they talked about a bookstore downtown.

I know it won't be Border's because they have an agreement to not compete with Schuler's (as they provide distribution services for Schulers).

Otherwise, we'd have to hope for a Barnes and Noble or some chain that is not represented in GR (are their any large enough to pull it off)?

The bookstore part excites and scares me...

Joe

well, we just have to wait for the commission to make it official next month -- till then, i wouldnt get too excited. i know im trying not to get too excited as i really loved the bookstore/jazz club that this option brings to downtown gr.

besides, does anyone know if the bookstore will be a national chain (ie Barnes and Noble or Borders?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Local could mean Lansing or Kalamazoo. John Rollins Books in Portage is pretty big and always seemed to be busy when I lived in Kalamazoo, and Community Newscenter in East Lansing is pretty big. How about a Pooh's Corner or Reading Tree :D

Someone, somewhere said they heard that they are talking to a couple of local bookstores. That scares me because other than Schulers, that would mean Kregel's or Family Christian Bookstores, which is not what I think anyone had in mind when they talked about a bookstore downtown.

I know it won't be Border's because they have an agreement to not compete with Schuler's (as they provide distribution services for Schulers).

Otherwise, we'd have to hope for a Barnes and Noble or some chain that is not represented in GR (are their any large enough to pull it off)?

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FCB is a national chain out of Texas. And kregel is a localized name of another national chain (Parable Bookstores, also out of texas)

The ONLY local bookstore in GR is Schulers

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they could pull of landing Schuler's, it would be a huge coup, because even Rockford Construction couldn't entice them into going into the Steketee's building. They offered them everything they could, short of no rent, but couldn't seal the deal. Maybe RSC has a little more influence than Rockford, and bring them in. Because when you think of a 2 story locally owned bookstore, Schulers is the only one that would seem to fit the bill.

Welcome to the forum prankster. I agree, Schuler's seems like the only viable local store. Baker Books, Kregels or Family Christian bookstores would be a blow to our metropolitan status. Everyone would snicker that all Grand Rapids could get was a mega christian bookstore downtown. ;) Heck though, maybe Grace's could re-open and we'd have a Christian bar next to the Christian bookstore. It could be a wholesome theme with a Christian pool hall to boot! ;)

Joe

If they could pull of landing Schuler's, it would be a huge coup, because even Rockford Construction couldn't entice them into going into the Steketee's building.  They offered them everything they could, short of no rent, but couldn't seal the deal.  Maybe RSC has a little more influence than Rockford, and bring them in.  Because when you think of a 2 story locally owned bookstore, Schulers is the only one that would seem to fit the bill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i really dont see schulers going downtown with their new store just a miles north at alpine. honestly, barnes and nobles makes the most sense as they have 2 stores on the south side of town.

no slight against the christian bookstores, but that would be a bit of a letdown for this prime spot downtown. other, non local ideas would be waldens books.

I thought Sam Cummings was quoted as saying that they were in talks with a "local" bookstore. If not Schuler's Books & Music, who else could he have been referring to? ... Argo's?

No, I agree, that's not a very likely choice, but think about it ... it certainly would fit in well with the spirit of the retail mix developing farther South on Division, with Vertigo Music (record store), Scavenger Hut (thrift store) and My Video Shoppe (independent Blockbuster alternative).

I also recall a mention of a movie theater. Does anyone know whether or not Jack Loekes has ever expressed interest in downtown before now? Cummings mentioned a "local" cinema chain in the Press, but here on this forum and elsewhere, the layout of the RSC plan appears to be limited to the bookstore, the jazz club and the billiard hall.

The movie theater would easily be a bigger draw than the jazz club or the pool hall, as previous efforts at both in and near downtown have failed in recent years. Downtown needs a movie house. The UICA is great, but I'd love to be able to see a dumb popcorn flick without driving to the suburbs.

Archived