RSC Chosen

mgreven

I thought Sam Cummings was quoted as saying that they were in talks with a "local" bookstore. If not Schuler's Books & Music, who else could he have been referring to? ... Argo's?

No, I agree, that's not a very likely choice, but think about it ... it certainly would fit in well with the spirit of the retail mix developing farther South on Division, with Vertigo Music (record store), Scavenger Hut (thrift store) and My Video Shoppe (independent Blockbuster alternative).

I also recall a mention of a movie theater. Does anyone know whether or not Jack Loekes has ever expressed interest in downtown before now? Cummings mentioned a "local" cinema chain in the Press, but here on this forum and elsewhere, the layout of the RSC plan appears to be limited to the bookstore, the jazz club and the billiard hall.

The movie theater would easily be a bigger draw than the jazz club or the pool hall, as previous efforts at both in and near downtown have failed in recent years. Downtown needs a movie house. The UICA is great, but I'd love to be able to see a dumb popcorn flick without driving to the suburbs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woz:

MUCH AGREEMENT HERE!! A downtown movie complex as part of a mixed-use downtown entertainment/retail destination is a MUST-GET for downtown GR.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived