what's wrong with turn signals?

mellow

Help. I live in raleigh since last year and don't understand why people don't use signals when changing lanes or making turns, for the most part. I am trying to understand these people and staying away from road rage, because the way these people drive really angers me. To me, it looks like they're uncivilized and unruling to just cut you off and drive in that manner. You guys might not be able to explain why all the people do it, but in your case-as I'm sure some of you do(don't do) it-what the heck is wrong with using your signal?

BTW I've been a non participant member since I joined and enjoy reading your posts.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do know that many people around here are sick of driving, so it may just be a case of people wanting to reach their destination as quickly as possible... I don't think many people will "cut off" someone else in traffic just to be rude. They are probably just in a hurry.

Also the lack of turn signals may be an acquired behavior. I have noticed that some people are in such a hurry that they do not want any additional people in front of them. So if they see a turn signal on, they may try to close the gap instead of letting someone in front of them. Turn signals are a sign of weakness :P Often times if you see a gap in traffic and you want in, just jumping in there is as good of a choice as any.

This is pretty off-topic and I have to wonder whether it wouldn't work better in a different forum (The Coffee House perhaps) but since it's here I'll put in my two cents.

I do know that many people around here are sick of driving, so it may just be a case of people wanting to reach their destination as quickly as possible... I don't think many people will "cut off" someone else in traffic just to be rude. They are probably just in a hurry.

Also the lack of turn signals may be an acquired behavior. I have noticed that some people are in such a hurry that they do not want any additional people in front of them. So if they see a turn signal on, they may try to close the gap instead of letting someone in front of them. Turn signals are a sign of weakness :P

Heh, orulz I've been thinking of ditching my car lately. Long story... monsoon knows what I'm talking about though.

Aside from the 85 mph rat race to work in the morning, I find myself driving pretty slow and relaxed otherwise--probably as a form of rebellion. My friends are like "no wonder you get such good fuel economy" when they ride with me. :D

I'm totally into letting people in when they signal--I'm also good about signalling trucks when they want to change lanes in front of me. If the truck has enough room to clear you, flash or blink your lights so they know. It's hard for them to tell way up there.

Generally speaking, North Carolina motorists affair better than the rest of teh southern states ive been. If you think Raleigh is bad with lack of turn signal usage, go into the rural areas, some cars dont even have turn signal bulbs (just kidding!). In regard to turn signals, nothing pisses me off more than someone not using them properly. For example, if someone is making a left/right turn driving on a rural/open highway, i hate when someone slows down, slow down, slow down, slow down, then get to the f'ing intersection then uses the turn signal. Its all about using them properly.

Driving in Raleigh is quite tranquil in comparison to New Jersey. Ill take Capital, Wade, Western, Saunders, Millbrook or Glenwood anyday :D

Maybe in this culture of "multitasking," people are busy scarfing greasy big macs or chatting on their cell phone with one hand so they can't hold onto the wheel and operate the signal at the same time.
Bingo - at least that is my take on the situation. But hey, if you think the Raleigh BeltLINE is tough, try the DC BeltWAY!

generally, southern drivers are bad drivers because they are used to just driving however they want to, because the south is so sprawled out. my recent experience in new england was that things are much more hectic, but the people as a whole are much better drivers. there is so much that you have to be aware of in denser areas, and as a result, you are forced to be a good driver.

So I'm not the only one that has noticed.

I've seen many people not using the turn signal in the Cary, West Raleigh area. Then I noticed my girlfriend doesn't like to use hers that often.

She's picked up the habit from the people around here and she's comfortable with it.

So I'm not the only one that has noticed.

I've seen many people not using the turn signal in the Cary, West Raleigh area.  Then I noticed my girlfriend doesn't like to use hers that often.

She's picked up the habit from the people around here and she's comfortable with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ugh. You should lay the smack down. ;) People who don't signal are just being lazy and discourteous, and it's inexcusable. Just remind her how irritating it is when other drivers don't use their signal.

You can't expect other drivers to start signaling if you don't do your part.

• 4 months later...

I live in Northern Virginia, which has about twice the population of the Triangle and even though drivers up here are bad, they usually use their turn signals. I used to live in Emerald Isle, NC in the 90's (while in the Coast Guard) and people in that area also rarely used turn signals. So it's not because of the fast paced urban area that people don't use turn signals. It's gotta be the way they teach drivers ed down there or something?

BTW - My wife and I area planning to move to Raleigh in the spring of '06. We really like the area and are excited about the move. Our small townhouse here has appriciated over 70% in less than 2 years and were looking to cash out and buy a bigger single family home in Raleigh for much less than our house here cost us.

Sorry about the off topic response, but just wanted to chime in and say glad to be on the boards.

Noticed the same thing here in Atlanta as well as Nashville where I lived for a year. I don't think it's strictly any specific city but rather dispersed across the country. Though my wife always does claim that Dallas drivers are better though - so who knows, there may be some regional drivers that are just better... I don't know.

But I always figured it would be in urban areas where a large amount are either new to that city and / or they are from rural areas. Living in rural areas - you typically don't need the turn signal when you're turning on to one dirt road from another, habits are hard to break. But also, if you are new to a city, some people are hesitant to 'commit' to turning on the turn signal, b/c they aren't confidant where they are going. Just some theories...

I live in Northern Virginia, which has about twice the population of the Triangle and even though drivers up here are bad, they usually use their turn signals.  I used to live in Emerald Isle, NC in the 90's (while in the Coast Guard) and people in that area also rarely used turn signals.  So it's not because of the fast paced urban area that people don't use turn signals.  It's gotta be the way they teach drivers ed down there or something?

BTW - My wife and I area planning to move to Raleigh in the spring of '06.  We really like the area and are excited about the move.  Our small townhouse here has appriciated over 70% in less than 2 years and were looking to cash out and buy a bigger single family home in Raleigh for much less than our house here cost us.

Sorry about the off topic response, but just wanted to chime in and say glad to be on the boards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed the same thing. A friend of mine from up north says drivers down here in Va Beach never use their signals - I really think about half do - but I do agree the Nova area people more often than not use their signals. So maybe it is a 'southern thing' not to use their signal. I try to always use mine as much as possible myself.

Quality over quanity:

Northerners use their turn signals like at least 90% of the time but are piss-poor when it comes to timing. When turning off a two lane road whether its city or rural, the blinker comes on late so oftenly that you have little time to react to slow down and/or stop. A lot of the times when they are obviously making a left or a right with no signal but get to the intersection and then turn the thing on, it shows ignorance and/or demonstrates crummy driving skills when 99% of the turning course never had a signal on in the first place! So my complaint is not " use your signals " but " use them properly " . I believe signals are to be used to give notice of your move so then you have time to prepare for it. The habit needs to be changed so communication between motorists improve and accidents are reduced. Southerners are generally not big fans of turn signal usage, mainly in the rural areas but when signals are used, they are timed much better than up north giving enough notice ahead of time to slow down/stop and/or manuever around them.

Archived