Census Bureau puts NC at No. 7 in 2030

Tayfromcarolina

I am not sure this is something for North Carolinians to celebrate considering that the vast majority of new residents will live in currently unbuilt suburban homes thereby destroying more of the rural character of the state. I also would not be surprised to see, by 2030 or later, a move for California to secede and form its own country or rejoin Mexico.

That wouldn't be a wise move for California to become part of a country as broke as Mexico. It's better off being it's own country.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, but I thought GA was still outpacing NC... Are they factoring in an Atlanta fizzle or something? Now that I think about it though, NC does have several advantages that will help it out once space becomes more precious... Many more developed cores that can all blossom simulataneously, and very importantly, a far superior university/higher-ed. infrastracture that will help to continue to attract people...

Actually, that's kind of impressive to think that GA will only have 200,000 less people than North Carolina even with NC's several growing metros compared to just Atlanta's growth. And it's still possible for other metos in Georgia to pick up on growth. Just wanted to toot the Peach State's horn.

this thread sounds like it should be on a site called suburban planet. while i'm all for growth in these states, i just hope that all of it is done with smart planning and not trying to connect cities 50-100 miles away from each other.

I wonder do u guys think its possible that GA & NC cculd ever pass New York by 2045 or 2055. I think its possible but than you have to imagine what the two states would look like. Atlanta finally reaching the size of Chicago & Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, & Wilmington each looking like Atlanta. :rofl:

You have now eneter mind of mad man. :silly:

I do remember NC population being more than GA about 10 years ago. Don't quote me on that. That was before Hotlanta really took off. I don't for see any major differences in the cities themselves just because of the politics in the state. NC is not a risk taking state. So for a city like Wilmington to look like ATL would mean a major shift in overall thinking. I do think SC population will have a spike as more people move to NC then migrate to SC. Given the similarites of the states and climate. A Columbia-Charlotte-Greensboro-Raleigh urban corridor is not out of the question

Georgia is adding more residents per year. NC is adding a larger percentage of residents per year. We'll definitely overtake New Jersey, and Ohio seems fairly plausible, but I suspect Georgia will remain one step ahead of us.

Charlotte and Raleigh will be mind-bogglingly huge.

Georgia is adding more residents per year. NC is adding a larger percentage of residents per year. We'll definitely overtake New Jersey, and Ohio seems fairly plausible, but I suspect Georgia will remain one step ahead of us.

Charlotte and Raleigh will be mind-bogglingly huge.

Those northern and mid-western states such as NJ, MD, OH, MA, don't have as many cars that have license tags that are from out of state.....it clearly shows that there are mroe northerners in the South than southerners in the North. Take a state like New Jersey for example. It's a very suburban state, such that the northern part is suburbia coming from NYC and southern NJ is suburbia coming from Philly. The only major growth that state is getting is people from NYC and Philly moving to NJ to get away from the expensive, and fast pace life of the cities. We also have to put into account that NC and GA are rather large states. So is California, Texas, and Florida. If you cut those in half they would definately not have as much population. California alone, if it was seperated being Northern & Southern california......So. Cali would definately have more people than No. Cali......but we must stick with 50 states! lol

Take a state like New Jersey for example. It's a very suburban state, such that the northern part is suburbia coming from NYC and southern NJ is suburbia coming from Philly. The only major growth that state is getting is people from NYC and Philly moving to NJ to get away from the expensive, and fast pace life of the cities.

New Jersey overall is more expensive to live in than Philadelphia. Property taxes are killer in jersey since many jerseyites are fleeing into PA to escape the high cost of living. NJ will continue to grow and become even more and more expensive because the economy is very strong as its not showing any signs of economic weakness.

New Jersey overall is more expensive to live in than Philadelphia. Property taxes are killer in jersey since many jerseyites are fleeing into PA to escape the high cost of living. NJ will continue to grow and become even more and more expensive because the economy is very strong as its not showing any signs of economic weakness.

:rolleyes: Oh God, we've pissed offed a yankee. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: Don't take it personal :thumbsup:

Those northern and mid-western states such as NJ, MD, OH, MA, don't have as many cars that have license tags that are from out of state.....it clearly shows that there are mroe northerners in the South than southerners in the North. Take a state like New Jersey for example. It's a very suburban state, such that the northern part is suburbia coming from NYC and southern NJ is suburbia coming from Philly. The only major growth that state is getting is people from NYC and Philly moving to NJ to get away from the expensive, and fast pace life of the cities. We also have to put into account that NC and GA are rather large states. So is California, Texas, and Florida. If you cut those in half they would definately not have as much population. California alone, if it was seperated being Northern & Southern california......So. Cali would definately have more people than No. Cali......but we must stick with 50 states! lol

Just some crazy info I like to throw around from time to time:

By Land area Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi. It is 20% larger than NC. It is also unfair to compare OH, TX, CA, etc into the mix since they are so freggin huge in size. NC will definatly be VERY urban within its populated areas if the stats and projections turn out to be corrent.

To me when we compare size and population NC will easily take the cake in the future. For its size it will have many more people within its borders in terms of person per square mile than most all states listed above it.

PA and NY will be the only state ranked ahead of us that are even compareable in total land area:

1. California, 46.4, +37.1%

2. Texas, 33.3, +59.8%

3. Florida, 28.7, +79.5%

4. New York, 19.5, +2.6%

5. Illinois, 13.4, +8.2%

6. Pennsylvania, 12.8, +4.0%

A2

I believe NC could compete with Illinois, considering that NC realize that major growth is coming to the Middle Cape Fear region to the Lower Cape Fear region. Plus Wilmington is booming.

I predict the population succeed over 14 million.

Now we need to create a World class city in the State. :yahoo:

Probably Charlotte; maybe also Raleigh. If you look at the size, the projected growth, the niches, that's very clear.

I don't think residents of NC or GA should be that excited about these projections. We all know the vast majority of these new residents will enhabit sprawling suburban locales outside city centers, often a county away. The retirees will build houses and condos along the precious coastlines and in the mountains-do we need MORE of that?. I don't find auto traffic in either state to be well managed as it is. This sounds like a big mess in the making.

I'm just curious what will happen to South Carolina along the I-85 corridor between ATL and CLT. Those metros will someday converge, if even in the form of a mass suburbia. I hope SC is taking the necessary precautions for growth now. If not, they will have some major road issues.

Random idea, but maybe they should consider building a state funded rail between the two metros. I'm sure that, in 2030, that will be quite profittable for them and could save loads on costs for road construction and maintenance.

It makes sense for North Carolina to pass Georgia in population because, as stated before, there are several competing metros while Georgia mainly has Atlanta. I have plenty of family there so I'm aware of all the other smaller metros, but honestly they can't even hold a candle to Atlanta. Charlotte has two metros much like it as far as growth in The Triangle (Raleigh) and The Triad (Greensboro.) As these three metros begin to converge, growth will have to sway towards some of the minor metros in the state that are similar in size to Augusta and Savannah.

What surprises me more is the lack of development along the GA-FL border. The only major city there is Valdosta. And that's a long border with a lot of promise, especially north of Jacksonville.

It makes sense for North Carolina to pass Georgia in population because, as stated before, there are several competing metros while Georgia mainly has Atlanta. I have plenty of family there so I'm aware of all the other smaller metros, but honestly they can't even hold a candle to Atlanta. Charlotte has two metros much like it as far as growth in The Triangle (Raleigh) and The Triad (Greensboro.) As these three metros begin to converge, growth will have to sway towards some of the minor metros in the state that are similar in size to Augusta and Savannah.

But following that logic, why did GA's population surpass NC's in the 1990's?

aussie luke - there is growth along the GA-FL border, but not where you expected, along I-95 or along the coast. Though all coastal regions have started growing in the past 10 years, a specific area - St Marys, GA is growing due to it's proximity to Jacksonville & as home to a military base.

There shouldn't be any surprise that there is little growth along I-75 near GA-FL border, considering it isn't until Gainesville or Ocala, FL where there is considerable growth, about 100 miles further south.

Also - there is already AMTRAK service between Atlanta & Charlotte with plans for further expansion of service.

No - SC is not making neccessary precautions as both GA & NC continue to be clueless. There are no major land use policies that would curb sprawl in Greenville or Spartanburg. Explaining why those metros already are sprawling. But there quite honestly are very few southern metros that don't sprawl.

I'm just curious what will happen to South Carolina along the I-85 corridor between ATL and CLT. Those metros will someday converge, if even in the form of a mass suburbia. I hope SC is taking the necessary precautions for growth now. If not, they will have some major road issues.

Road quality, congestion, and pollution are already serious issues in the SC Upstate. There's actually a discussion about this in this thread.

As of now, the Upstate is more of a threat to itself than either Charlotte or Atlanta are--any issues of growth encroaching upon the Upstate are still decades into the future. Greenville has already been named as one of the most sprawling cities in the nation.

Road quality, congestion, and pollution are already serious issues in the SC Upstate. There's actually a discussion about this in this thread.

As of now, the Upstate is more of a threat to itself than either Charlotte or Atlanta are--any issues of growth encroaching upon the Upstate are still decades into the future. Greenville has already been named as one of the most sprawling cities in the nation.

You can see that from I-85. I drove to Birmingham this weekend from Charlotte. Went through Greenville and was astounded at the length of development between Greenville and Spartanburg. It goes on for miles and miles. It cold easily look like 85 north of ATL in 30 years if they do not contain it.

A2

Archived