• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DigitalSky

City Reaches Deal w/ Dee Dee

Is anyone really surprised? Dee Dee has to pay for new shoes somehow. Do we really expect her to wear last season's fashions? I am happy my tax dollars have gone to keep her in the manner she has become accustomed. :sick:

I'm going to soft on this one...

i actually think it is reasonable for the city to contribute infrastructure around the site of a major tourist event, which brings publicity, prestige and money to the city.

Just because rich people may own the property, it doesn't mean they should be paying for things that are the public responsibility in most other cases. Taxpayers pave streets in myers park, and contribute to infrastructure improvements around malls and arenas, and museums and subdivisions... most of which all roll back somehow to some rich people.

besides, i'm sure the harris family pays much much more than this in property taxes.

i'm not saying that I think the harris's deserve public subsidies, though...

I think that the financial burden for improvements related to commercial developments should not be carried by taxpayers, especially when these improvements aren't already part of the city's comprehensive plan (i.e. turn lanes).

I'm not sure about Charlotte, but developer impact fees here in Raleigh are inadequate. By having taxpayers foot the bill for more of the new infrastructure for developments (commercial AND residential) the city is essentially encouraging construction on greenfields in the suburbs instead of in town where the infrastructure already exists. Talk about backwards.