The Twin City

twincity

Here is a quick tour of downtown/5 points/stratford rd. and some photos of the rarely seen Forsyth Memorial Hospital....the triad's new largest. It's currently expanding with a 10 storey "North Pavilion" under construction.

More of Hawthorne Hill

Its the 2nd tallest district in the city and 2nd largest hospital in the metro. WFUBC is quietly invading downtown. They just completed the new Dialysis center on Brookstown Rd. and the DT Health Plaza is near the Goler neighborhood. The School is also the main pressence in PTRP and is still expandind. During the day, you can catch the shuttle service from 1st and Chestnut to the hospital (the planned route for the proposed green line of streetcar system.)

wfbmcsign.jpg

wfubmc.jpg

hawthhill.jpg

Brenners Children Hospital

brenners.jpg

Bowman Gray

bowmngray1.jpg

bowmngray2.jpg

wfubmc2.jpg

wfubmc3.jpg

Hawthorne Hill Skyline

hawthsky2.jpg

hawthsky.jpg

The view from Hawthorne Hill towards downtown. Thats the recently designated Historic West Salem neighborhood north of Bus. 40. Very hilly terrain in this area.

hwthhillsdtky.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown

bbtwach.jpg

cityhallwach.jpg

soutsky.jpg

Some of Brookstown

brookstown.jpg

ollies.jpg

Brookstown's tallest...Salem Tower

salemtower.jpg

Downtown Middle School

downtmiddle.jpg

Bus. 40

bus40ptrp.jpg

Trade St. Arts District

trade.jpg

pmc.jpg

The new Winston Cup Museum u/c

museum.jpg

5thst.jpg

These 3 properties were in the news lately. They are seeking national historic status and will be converted into residential. One is already being tranformed into 70 lofts.

3histresid.jpg

fact.jpg

rjrfactories.jpg

I think this is the area proposed for a new train station?

propptrpstation.jpg

How did whole food come to ws before clt - I would think lack of competition and a good location. There were (and still are) no full size organic stores in the city - you had doug brendles but it is a small store, and there was a natural food store in reynolda village but for a county of this size they have a virtual monopoloy. Plus they have great service which especially counts now that other stores have increased their organic selection.

The real surprise is why gso does not have a whole foods. large college population, history of a food coop and other organis stores. Even though their is more competition, I think they would c lean up in greensboro

I thought Whole Foods was based in Winston-Salem, or maybe I'm really mixed up. It's a great store anyway. There's one about a mile from me in Cary and they have some great food.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks like I'm really mixed up :D Whole Foods is based out of Austin TX. Greensboro is home is a similar store chain call "The Fresh Market". I knew the Triad was home to one of those stores.

Apparently Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, and Winston-Salem all had a Wellspring. I'm not sure what the timeline is, but I think Chapel Hill was the first in the state. I believe the other cities followed eventually, and I remember Cary got its store in 1998 or 1999.

Whole Foods bought or merged with Wellspring (as well as a slew of other store chains). As a result, all of these Wellspring locations became Whole Foods.

I don't know why the chain (before or now) hasn't entered the Charlotte Market (too much local competition?). The reason they are staying out of Greensboro is obvious though :P

Damn I keep negating myself. :lol:

Upon closer inspection, Wellspring was a Triangle based thing, with its first store opening in Durham sometime in the mid 1980s. Chapel Hill followed in 1990. From there it went to Raleigh, Cary, and Winston-Salem (not necessarily in that order).

It looks like the two companies merged or something in the early 90s, but the Wellspring name stayed around until just a couple years ago it seems.

^ yea ur right... that is West End.  I dont know that side of town too well so i get the 2 mixed up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's easy to do. They are basically just across Bus. 40 from each other and West End is more well known.

I live in West Salem. No one seems to know it by that name but if I tell them "just west of Old Salem" then they know exactly where it is.

Again, great pics :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

There are finally plans to put a Whole Foods in Charlotte. I'm surprised, it's not in South CLT. It will be located in the Elizabeth Avenue District at the corner of 4th Street and Hawthorne Street and will occupy approximately 50,000 square feet of retail space. The Charlotte store is targeting winter 2006-07 as an opening date.

as far as a whole foods in Greensboro, earth fare is doing well and the fresh market also does well here. there is probably room for a whole foods in Greensboro. while i was looking for a place to live in the Boston area, i noticed there are a few whole foods locations up there as well.

Archived