SC's Blue Laws

The_sandlapper

Blue laws may very soon be a thing of the past. A new peice of legislature will allow shop owners how early they wish to open for business on Sunday. Unfortunately alcohol sales will not be prohibited throughout the state. Only a few counties will be allowed to sell spirits on Sunday in the near future Horry County will be one of the first I believe if they haven't already, Richland tried but didn't get their paperwork in time enough, other counties I'm not so sure about?

Blue Laws

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blue Laws were never observed in Horry County. At least not as long as I can remember. Sunday morning is the last chance the merchants have to pick the last dollar off the tourists before they leave for the place from whence they came. Everything is always open.

Richland County removed them years ago by public referendum. To show the difference between Richland and Lexington Counties, Richland removed them by a landslide and Lexington kept them. I laugh when Lexington County residents complain about their half of Columbiana Mall not being able to open until 1:30 on Sundays while the Richland County store can open whenever they want. The state needs to allow all counties to allow stores to sell alcohol on Sunday too.

Richland County removed them years ago by public referendum. To show the difference between Richland and Lexington Counties, Richland removed them by a landslide and Lexington kept them. I laugh when Lexington County residents complain about their half of Columbiana Mall not being able to open until 1:30 on Sundays while the Richland County store can open whenever they want. The state needs to allow all counties to allow stores to sell alcohol on Sunday too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I BELIEVE that Lexington has never held a referendum on the issue. Only counties that have a significant level of sales taxes are allowed to have a referendum. That excludes all counties except the largest ones and the ones (Horry) with high levels of tourism. I think only one of the Department stores in Columbiana is in Richland, and is thus exempt from the Blue law restriction.

The alcohol exemption is only on Restaurant sales. You cannot buy a six-pack from a grocery store on Sunday even in Richland County.

I am not for the Blue Laws, I am conservative, but I belive less laws the better. BUT, I do think we need a law that protects the jobs of people who choose not to work on Sundays because they beleive it is wrong.

I used to work at PETsMART and I was told that if I wanted to go to Church on Sundays then I was going to need to find a new job. That is not cool. And I don't think anybody should ever have to choose between their job and their values.

I used to work at PETsMART and I was told that if I wanted to go to Church on Sundays then I was going to need to find a new job.  That is not cool.  And I don't think anybody should ever have to choose between their job and their values.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure - I understand, but my cat having a fresh place to poop is more important than someone going to chuch... :)

I am not for the Blue Laws, I am conservative, but I belive less laws the better.  BUT, I do think we need a law that protects the jobs of people who choose not to work on Sundays because they beleive it is wrong. 

I used to work at PETsMART and I was told that if I wanted to go to Church on Sundays then I was going to need to find a new job.  That is not cool.  And I don't think anybody should ever have to choose between their job and their values.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is interesting because I used to work at Pestmart too, and if you went to church you came in to open at 1 instead of 12 (which happened anyway, they woudl just give you preference). They generally worked with you on that one. I guess its a difference in management style? What I found hilarious is that they would over-staff us on Easter. Easter! Nobody goes shopping on Easter- its a family day. That was a boring day :rolleyes:

I agree with you that we should have a low that protects church goers. You should not be punished for having religion.

I BELIEVE that Lexington has never held a referendum on the issue.  Only counties that have a significant level of sales taxes are allowed to have a referendum.  That excludes all counties except the largest ones and the ones (Horry) with high levels of tourism.  I think only one of the Department stores in Columbiana is in Richland, and is thus exempt from the Blue law restriction.

The alcohol exemption is only on Restaurant sales.  You cannot buy a six-pack from a grocery store on Sunday even in Richland County.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Restaurants have to buy a special Sunday permit in order to sell alcohol on Sunday.

I am not for the Blue Laws, I am conservative, but I belive less laws the better.  BUT, I do think we need a law that protects the jobs of people who choose not to work on Sundays because they beleive it is wrong. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no problem with a law protecting that as long as it also protects the people that celebrate the sabbath on Fridays and Saturdays, also. Of course, most stores don't open until 12 on Sundays and it is possible to go to church long before noon.

My personal opinion on religion is that there is too much emphasis on it in this country, but the rights of people to believe as they wish to believe must be protected.

That is interesting because I used to work at Pestmart too, and if you went to church you came in to open at 1 instead of 12 (which happened anyway, they woudl just give you preference). They generally worked with you on that one. I guess its a difference in management style? What I found hilarious is that they would over-staff us on Easter. Easter! Nobody goes shopping on Easter- its a family day. That was a boring day :rolleyes:

I agree with you that we should have a low that protects church goers. You should not be punished for having religion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I worked at the one in N. Charleston and I had to be at work at 10 on Sunday's and the One in Spartanburg and I got every other Sunday off there, but not every one

I have no problem with a law protecting that as long as it also protects the people that celebrate the sabbath on Fridays and Saturdays, also. Of course, most stores don't open until 12 on Sundays and it is possible to go to church long before noon.

My personal opinion on religion is that there is too much emphasis on it in this country, but the rights of people to believe as they wish to believe must be protected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I think it should be fe for any religon on any day of the week, I don't think anybody she have to worry about their job no matter what day of the week they rest or have services.

Also, even though stores may not open till noon, you still have to be there a few hours earlier to get the place ready to open.

Well I personally think it's time for Lexington County to step out of the dark ages.. this is just one of the issues that would be a step in the right direction. These laws are an embarassment to South Carolina.

Also, even though stores may not open till noon, you still have to be there a few hours earlier to get the place ready to open.

That's a good point. I've never worked retail and didn't think about that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh, its definately on e of the less attractive aspects of retail. YOu come earlier or you stay later.

Well I personally think it's time for Lexington County to step out of the dark ages..  this is just one of the issues that would be a step in the right direction.  These laws are an embarassment to South Carolina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Lexington will be one of the last county's to do this. Lex is a much more conservatively religious place than most of the other counties of its size and location near/in an urban area.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in Connecticut for the last few weeks. The topic of Sunday alcohol sales came up in a conversation with some of the locals.

Connecticut does not allow retail beer/wine/liquors sales on Sunday either. Someone else stated Minnesota is the same way. Restaurants sales are allowed, just as in some of SC's bigger counties and some cities.

Personally, this is a non-issue with me. I strongly feel that SC's image is harmed much more by our education system, confederate flag waving, and morons like John Altman than any of the blue laws.

I find it odd and unfortunate considering our neighbors in GA are far worse that we are about the confederate flag. Almost every small town down there has a prominent Civil War Memorial with flags etc. Oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is true - deep south states do seem to have a greater interest in the Civil War, can't really explain why. But in GA, AL, & MS confederate memorials & flags are indeed a fixture. What I've always theorized is that these states lack the history of the Carolina's & Virginia. As I would always snobbily state to anyone bragging about their ancestor's involvement in the civil war - I would inform them that the 'great civil war' that divided residents within each state was the Revolutionary War & that my ancestors fought in that war. I realize I was being a prick, nonetheless - most of us have ancestors dating back in the same county for over a century more than the deep south states. Their lack of history may explain their view that the confederacy defined their region, as the colonial era defined the lower Atlantic states.

Note - before you give me a history lesson about GA, I do know it was a colonial state. But beyond the coastal region & along the Savannah River - most of it was not populated Europeans / slaves until after the 1800's & even approaching the mid 1800's. Therefore most of GA, AL & MS are in fact colonies of SC, NC & VA (especially since SC once claimed most of this land).

• 1 month later...

To me it comes down to this...

Restaurants and bars even CAN serve alcohol on Sunday...

One catch they pay dearly in extra licenses to do it..Bars must be "private" with a 24 hour grace period before you can drink. Restaurants and bars must have a seperate sunday liquor sales license. bars must also close at 2am on Saturday night (what so I can go to church?)

Okay so from a religious stand point you CANT buy alcohol on sunday, Unless you goto an establishment that pays enough in licenses to serve it. OK does that mean they are BUYING the churches approval? Whereas Jesus turned water into wine, but you cant buy that at a grocery store on sunday.

Also you cannot open your store until 1 pm on sunday, I suppose so more people will go to church right?...BUT if you live in a county that makes (I think) over 500,000 per year in visitor/accomadations taxes THEN that county can choose not to observe the opening at 1 pm blue law guess this helps the tourist towns...Thats why richland mall is split richland county brings in more in those types of taxes than lexington does.

You seeing a pattern here....

The BLUE LAWS are based on religion YET GOVERNED by MONEY

Why would they do away with them? They are going to milk the money for as long as that cash cow is around. Seperation of CHURCH and STATE, a constitutional right, BE DAMNED.

Money is the root of all evil, the church constantly contradicts itself and we live in the 1950's.

Mini Bottle sales also tie into this....

Okay EVERY mixed drink calls for 1 oz. of liquor (granted it may have multiple liquors)...yet all mini bottles contain 1.7 fl. oz. of liquor.

So if I order a captain morgan and coke in a normal rocks glass, I am almost getting a DOUBLE. It tastes terrible. Costs 5.50 and gets me drunk that much quicker. M.A.D.D. do you not care about this? Or are you busy passing out ribbons to school kids who are going to drink no matter what. Atleast we're doing something about that in Columbia with the Designated driver of america program ( Freedom4You.org )

Well this also comes back down to money...yes we voted to do away with mini bottles, BUT they are busy hashing over WHO is going to make up for the loss in liquor taxes, will it be the distributors, the wholesalers , the retailers, or the customers. SOMEHOW they still want to get their money and more if they can...

You know it is extremely insane how backwards SC laws can be and how HARD it is to change anything..EVEN if it is perceived by the majority as asanine we still have to jump through hoops to do away or change it.

WE NEED more than just PUPPETS in our political offices, the good old boys club needs to be shut down and tarred and feathered.

Joey

Columbia, SC

Wow, I see that someone really feels passionate about the issue...LOL. But you are right about many of SC's outdated laws. Some of the opinions I've read concerning abolishing common law marriage in SC really reveal an illogical and unreasonable way of thinking about these issues, and I know such reasoning is used for other laws as well.

Oh yeah, and it's not money that's the root of all evil, it's the love thereof. ;)

Archived