SC's Blue Laws

The_sandlapper

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

What about Aiken County? Can't you already buy beer on Sunday in SC? I remember one time I was at Walmart in SC on a Sunday morning because it's all that was open, we were having an emergency, and my girlfriend went up to buy pantyhose or something and they told her she had to wait until 1:30, because they only sold food on Sunday mornings.

I understand the purpose of the exemption for the tourist-heavy counties, but it does seem a bit unfair for counties trying to develop a larger tourist base. This is a step in the right direction, but the repeal really should be statewide. Of course I don't think that the minor inconvienence of having to wait a few hours to shop will be a huge deterrent to growing tourism, but the effect could be felt in counties such as Lexington or Anderson that will lose a few hours of local resident dollars to their neighbors...

Regarding Aiken Co., we're one of the counties that loosened alcohol restrictions a while back, but there are still blue laws on the book. I'm not sure if we're even in the top 10 in tourism dollars so it could be a while before we breach this arbitrary threshold.

Oh. Well that makes no sense what so ever. I didn't get to read ther article, so can someone explain why counties that sell more stuff shouldn't be allowed the same privilage as the other 40 counties.

Georgetown actually suprised me. I didn't think they had that much revenue from tourism.

Alcohol is a mind altering drug and the abuse of the substance places a significant burden on society. As a result, almost every modern place on the globe has some kind of laws on the books to restrict when, where and how, and who can legally purchase alcohol. It is also universally taxed because it is a big money maker for municipalites.

The laws on the books in SC on the sale of booze really are not that different or unique from other places and most are based in tradition, religion, and more recently trying the mitigate the damage caused to society by drinking. (the rise in the drinking age from 18 to 21 is an example of that) Just across the border in NC, there are still dry counties, and even in Charlotte the town of Harrisburg, a significant suburb of the city, does not allow any alcohol sales in it's borders. This includes convenience and grocery stores. (I am not sure if this changed recently) Of course there was the 21st Amendment to the US Constitution that banned all alcohol in the USA.

The point is not to judge SC based on how it restricts the sale of booze.

Ok, now that I read the article, it makes more sense. Charleston, Horry, and Beaufort are already exempt from blue laws. This law would simply level the playing field for the remaining 43 counties. Got it.

I disagree with this law on the principle (which I believe in) that local control should be a priority. However, in this instance, the principle behind the law outweighs everything else. I hope that it goes through, and that next year, once they see how great it improves the quality of life, they remove it permanently.

Alcohol is a mind altering drug and the abuse of the substance places a significant burden on society. As a result, almost every modern place on the globe has some kind of laws on the books to restrict when, where and how, and who can legally purchase alcohol. It is also universally taxed because it is a big money maker for municipalites.

The laws on the books in SC on the sale of booze really are not that different or unique from other places and most are based in tradition, religion, and more recently trying the mitigate the damage caused to society by drinking. (the rise in the drinking age from 18 to 21 is an example of that) Just across the border in NC, there are still dry counties, and even in Charlotte the town of Harrisburg, a significant suburb of the city, does not allow any alcohol sales in it's borders. This includes convenience and grocery stores. (I am not sure if this changed recently) Of course there was the 21st Amendment to the US Constitution that banned all alcohol in the USA.

The point is not to judge SC based on how it restricts the sale of booze.

^I think many in the holier-than-thou group would say it IS their responsibility to "be their brother's keeper". By not allowing retail sales on Sunday morning, they feel they are helping you avoid eternal damnation by not allowing you to break one of the 10 Commandments (you know the one about "Thou shalt not purchase red panties on the Sabbath, sayest the Lord"). ;)

What's really amusing about this is this: exactly whose sabbath do we use? I remember growing up in the 70s when Sam Solomon (a catalog showroom like Service Merchandise) opened every Holiday Season on Sunday in Charleston and Columbia. Sam was Jewish and his sabbath was Saturday. He dared the State to close him down, else he would take SC to the U.S. Supreme Court. SC did nothing to keep him closed.

^ I understand that, but why is that a reason to keep blue laws on the books? Christian, Jew, Muslim, Shinto, whatever. We live in a pluralistic society where one religion isn't supposed to trump another. Speaking as someone whose family is half Jewish, this is VERY irritating in the Palmetto State.

I'm tired of government decisions and laws being influenced by the bible. Separation of church and state, period. Why does a non-christian business owner have to wait until 1:30pm to open up shop on Sunday? And why is it ok for me to buy food and cat litter before 1:30, but not a pair of socks? It's ridiculous that you can walk into a Wal-Mart, which opens before 1:30 on Sunday, and purchase all the food you want, but the clothing, hardware, etc. areas are roped off. :wacko:

Archived