SC's Blue Laws

The_sandlapper

^ I understand that, but why is that a reason to keep blue laws on the books? Christian, Jew, Muslim, Shinto, whatever. We live in a pluralistic society where one religion isn't supposed to trump another. Speaking as someone whose family is half Jewish, this is VERY irritating in the Palmetto State.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But I think S.C. lawmakers have trouble understanding your last statement. The reason behind the blue laws is to allow people (especially workers) to go to church on Sunday mornings, right? If not, what am I missing? Is that okay or is it a violation of the separation of church and state? In today's world, I'm afraid it is pretty much useless law. Those workers that want to be off Sunday mornings can--they are already protected by other laws if their employer gives them flak.

I agree with you. These days, we have churches that offer several services on Sunday to accomodate the members that have to work on Sundays; several churches also offer services throughout the week. My major disagreement with the line of reasoning of those who are for blue laws who talk about how overturning the laws will affect church attendance is this: apparently they aren't as committed as you would think if they would rather skip church to go to the mall. That sounds like a personal issue, or a church-related issue, and not a legal issue.

^It shouldn't; it's consistent with SC's tradition of holding on to the past and not preparing for or moving into the future, which has significant economic implications. Just about every issue we've discussed on this board fits that mold in some way, shape, or form.

Hopefully by the time I move away and come back, things will have substantially changed in this regard.

Archived