Southern Intra-state Bickering

krazeeboi

The forumers from which state have the most intra-state rivalries?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The forumers from which state have the most intra-state rivalries?

• Alabama
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • North Carolina
    • South Carolina
    • Tennessee
    • Virginia

I believe I listed all southern states that have the most representation on this forum. And I know that VA doesn't have a sub-forum on The Southern USA board, but I just thought I'd include it here. And I don't see much activity from the Texans, so I didn't include Texas in this poll. But if you would like to vote for Texas, I guess you can make it a "write-in."

This one should be interesting...;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

North Carolinians are the worst at it, but Tennesseans and Georgians add their fair share...I know I do it. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definitely - TN is even more complex: W (Memphis), Central (Nashville), & E (Knoxville) TN

GA is based on more of an egotistical assumption that everything revolves around Atlanta (similar to Charlotte's case) but b/c Atlanta is actually the state capital - much of the blame is placed on south Georgia. So in GA it's largely a urban vs. rural feud

AL is also north (Huntsville / Birmingham) vs. south (Mobile / Montgomery)

FL is another complex state - panhandle / N FL (Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville) & central FL (Orlando, Tampa) & south FL (Miami)

SC is complex as well - Upstate (Greenville), Midlands (Columbia), & Lowstate (Charleston)

But in terms of diviseveness - NC not only has the rivalry between Raleigh & Charlotte, it is also a cultural difference between east & west NC, & Charlotte (again with the primary city ego-complex that Atlanta has) assumes they should be waited on by hand & foot by the state. But what makes it difficult, despite Charlotte's edge, it isn't quite clear if Charlotte truly dominates the state as Atlanta or Birmingham does over their states.

... so it makes interesting forum discussions ;)

As far as the poll reads right now, I agree.  North Carolinians are troublesome people, especially monsoon. ;)

North Carolinians are the worst at it, but Tennesseans and Georgians add their fair share...I know I do it. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

monsoon is from South Carolina. :P

Sadly, I must admit that there is a lot of intra-state bickering amongst NC forumers. A lot of it is started by hearsay and unreasonable paranoia. There have also been certain forumers (no one in this thread) who make really over-the-top remarks and claims--and this elicits similar responses from others. Then everything blows up.

I've been guilty of participating in such crap in the past, but nowadays I try to maintain a pan-carolinian attitude--because I do care a lot about the whole state and I want to see it continue to grow in a positive way.

Tennessee by a long shot. Memphis and Nashville are one level of bickering, but then you have Memphis and Knoxville (stated from a teacher at my school) and then just the whole West, Middle, and East Tennessee feaud. I have noticed that there is almost a superiority complex from West Tennesseans (ok, Memphians ;)) towards East Tennesseans. Knoxville...been repopulating from the same family since 1791.

Tennessee by a long shot. Memphis and Nashville are one level of bickering, but then you have Memphis and Knoxville (stated from a teacher at my school) and then just the whole West, Middle, and East Tennessee feaud. I have noticed that there is almost a superiority complex from West Tennesseans (ok, Memphians ;)) towards East Tennesseans. Knoxville...been repopulating from the same family since 1791.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my parents compromised. my mom is from knoxville and my dad is from jackson and decided to move to the best place. nashville. :D j\k, i love all 3 parts of tennessee. i've been raised from all over the state. there is one thing we can all agree on. texas sucks. :P

Ha, I love the intra-state bickering in Tennessee. Actually, I love the fact that each grand division has its own flagship city. Knoxville may not be as big as Nashville or Memphis, but if you add Chattanooga and Knoxville together, it's more even.

Obviously, though, Nashville is the superior city.

I voted for SC, because my first thought when it comes to rivalries is sports (ie: Clemson-Carolina).

SC doesn't have any rivalries to speak of. None that are intense at anyrate (maybe a small Greenville-Spartanburg one). Overall I get the impression of cooperation between our regions.

My vote should have gone to NC. Its three main regions (CLT, Triad, and RDU) are constantly at odds with eachother over something. Usually its Raleigh vs Charlotte on state funding of _____ (fill in the blank).

Virginia seems to have a rather intense rivalry between the Tidewater area and Richmond. I'm not sure how the NoVa/DC area plays into it at all.

I don't think of any other state as having the same level of rivalries as the two I mentioned. Thats not to say they don't exist. This is just what I am familiar with.

Yeah, a Memphis-Nashville pro sports rivalry would be awesome. I think it would be cool if Nashville got an NBA team (probably using the name of the failed ABA team, Nashville Rhythm). That'd be tough for me, though. I love the Grizzlies, but I'd probably switch over to the Nashville team if one was to come about. I'd always have sympathy for the Grizzlies, though. But if Memphis were to get an NFL team (which is probably more likely), I'd be behind the Titans in that rivalry all the way.

Archived