Southern Intra-state Bickering

krazeeboi

The forumers from which state have the most intra-state rivalries?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The forumers from which state have the most intra-state rivalries?

• Alabama
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • North Carolina
    • South Carolina
    • Tennessee
    • Virginia

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I don't see Memphis ever getting NFL or Nashville ever getting NBA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree. the market for nba and nfl is saturated in the state of tennessee right now. i could possibly see getting an mlb team in the sate. i'm sure it would be a hard fought battle between nashville and memphis. i think it would do well in either cities.

Really? I would want nothing more than an MLB team in Nashville. I've been thinking of possible names. Should the name reflect Nashville's status as Athens of the South, Country Music capital, or general Music City, USA? I've been thinking of the following: Nashville Greeks, Nashville Music, Nashville Rhythm (I think the ABA team by the same name is gone anyway), Nashville Sounds (hey, the Padres took their name from the minor league San Diego Padres), Nashville Notes, Nashville Musicians, Nashville Tennesseans (Houston did it), Nashville Sprawl, etc. The offical cap would be black with either a red or white "N" on the front. I think the N should either be like the one on the Sounds' original cap, or it should be in Times New Roman font. The color scheme doesn't have to be white/red and black, but I'd like it to include black.

Really?  I would want nothing more than an MLB team in Nashville.  I've been thinking of possible names.  Should the name reflect Nashville's status as Athens of the South, Country Music capital, or general Music City, USA?  I've been thinking of the following:  Nashville Greeks, Nashville Music, Nashville Rhythm (I think the ABA team by the same name is gone anyway), Nashville Sounds (hey, the Padres took their name from the minor league San Diego Padres), Nashville Notes, Nashville Musicians, Nashville Tennesseans (Houston did it), Nashville Sprawl, etc.  The offical cap would be black with either a red or white "N" on the front.  I think the N should either be like the one on the Sounds' original cap, or it should be in Times New Roman font.  The color scheme doesn't have to be white/red and black, but I'd like it to include black.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno...it seems as though Memphis is more of a baseball town than Nashville is. Nashville seems gung-ho Titans/Predators (I may be wrong about the latter). Memphis is packing it into Auto Zone, and Tim McCarver Stadium still was the scene for an occasional packed house. It just seems that Memphis would be a better match for the MLB.

I dunno...it seems as though Memphis is more of a baseball town than Nashville is. Nashville seems gung-ho Titans/Predators (I may be wrong about the latter). Memphis is packing it into Auto Zone, and Tim McCarver Stadium still was the scene for an occasional packed house. It just seems that Memphis would be a better match for the MLB.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'll have to agree with you on that. now that i've thought about it, the mlb would better suit memphis. the redbirds always kill with attendance. plus, it would even out memphis and nashville with number of pro teams. nashville was starting to get gung ho with the predators when they finally made playoffs last year. those tickets went quick! then the lockout came and the preds lost a lot of that momentum they had worked so hard to get. where do you think that memphis would put a new ballpark at? i doubt they would use autozone for it since the redbirds play there. in all honesty though, i enjoy minor league baseball so much more than major league. something more down home about it. much more less likely to strike too (as in money wise).

i'll have to agree with you on that. now that i've thought about it, the mlb would better suit memphis. the redbirds always kill with attendance. plus, it would even out memphis and nashville with number of pro teams. nashville was starting to get gung ho with the predators when they finally made playoffs last year. those tickets went quick! then the lockout came and the preds lost a lot of that momentum they had worked so hard to get. where do you think that memphis would put a new ballpark at? i doubt they would use autozone for it since the redbirds play there. in all honesty though, i enjoy minor league baseball so much more than major league. something more down home about it. much more less likely to strike too (as in money wise).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know! I love AutoZone Park...I wish we could have an MLB team AND the Redbirds...I guess that's not possible...If we ever got a team, my money would be on placing the ballpark somewhere in the Uptown part of downtown. That area is beginning to get revitalized...slowly, but surely...and I think it would be the best place for a new ballpark. If it was placed by the Forum, it would simply be too crowded. I really don't think there's enough room to put something of that size in the South Main area...

You guys forget Nashville was offered the chance to get the Montreal Expos. We would have had to build a very expensive stadium, but it still could have happened (maybe if Bredesen was still mayor).

I think Memphis would be the better MLB city in Tennessee, but Nashville could probably do it too. Neither is going to get considered anytime soon. I would say though that Memphis and Portland, Oregon would be the best domestic markets without MLB to obtain one, but relocation seems the only hope for any US city to get a team anytime soon.

^ Didn't realize there were many Atlanta forummers here - though it can be pretty bad an another forum site...

Edit: Just reviewed some comments in the Atlanta Megalopolis thread, yeah - I can understand your view. But those type of threads are only asking for trouble, as the Charlotte the Next Atlanta thread was as well...

You guys forget Nashville was offered the chance to get the Montreal Expos.  We would have had to build a very expensive stadium, but it still could have happened (maybe if Bredesen was still mayor).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MLB actually offered the Expos to Nashville and was turned down?

I don't think so.

There may have been some businessmen in Nashville who formed some sort of committee to that effect and approached city government with some proposal. About a year ago there were literally a dozen cities that expressed interest--including even Little Rock.

I don't think any of those cities got beyond the pipe-dream stage to any sort of serious consideration, much less an MLB offer that was turned down.

There may have been some businessmen in Nashville who formed some sort of committee to that effect and approached city government with some proposal.  About a year ago there were literally a dozen cities that expressed interest--including even Little Rock.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, okay. Maybe that's what it was. I just remembered reading an old Tennessean article with something to that effect. Sorry.

With all the Atlanatude I have gotten on these forums, I think will have to change my vote from North Carolina to Georgia (though just the ATL metro area, not the rest of the state which is very cordial).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The regular Atlanta forumers who post here at UrbanPlanet are more than fine. We appreciate all of them. But I agree that on other forums, Atlanta trolls are as thick as flies on sh*t on a hot day.

• 2 weeks later...

Georgia (spec. Atlanta) forumers are probably the most guilty. There are a couple of good GA forumers out there, but we have several bad ones, too.

Atlanta is a fine city--nowhere near the best, but still better than some cities out there, but some people leyt their pride get out of hand and develop a superiority complex of sorts.

A metro of 8,000 sq mi makes for quite a big target.

^ Because this isn't about interstate bickering but about intrastate. Meaning, there is a high level of disagreement within a state, in NC's case: Raleigh / eastern NC & Charlotte / western NC. Georgia does have bickering as well: Atlanta / northern GA & southern GA but is not as pronounced due to it being primarily a primary city against rural area feud.

Archived