Amway Grand Plaza Hotel Renovations

joeDowntown

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The day I decided to give it a try and see the views from the lounge up there, armed with a camera, was the week of its closing for rennovation. I was pretty upset =P

I think it said it reopens October? Perhaps I may be able to make a birthday trip up there =D

Funny you mention that.

We got my folks a gift package @ the Amway for their 25th wedding anniversary a few years back. For whatever reason, they waited til this year to use it. Luckily, they used it on the last weekend before they closed Cygnus. :)

• 2 months later...

And just when I thought this project was finished, the old girl keeps looking better and better every day:

Workers toiling away on the exterior and really bringing the details back to life:

261789462_49cf44628d_b.jpg

Here's a great before and after shot (before obviously to the left, the decorative pot has not been done yet)

261789468_dff1e82eb4_b.jpg

261789473_b65516cdd0_b.jpg

All the reliefs just "pop" now:

261789478_37ad9fb69f_b.jpg

New exterior signage

261789485_2a248a5bdc_b.jpg

261789495_a8ef8cc9ec_b.jpg

That second pic is excellent GRdad. I wish all our buildings were maintained as well as this one.

I believe a very similar process was done to the People's Building when it was converted to Cityview Condos. I think in addition to cleaning, they do some tuckpointing with the stone and brick. It looks like the mortar joints have been scraped clean, and they are probably refilling them as they move along:

261789468_dff1e82eb4_b.jpg

You can't tease like that around here! :P

MAU has probably learned that "loose lips sink ships" around here. Good for you MAU. We can be pretty hostile to the developer world if things don't go exactly as planned (or even when they do).

With that being said, I really hope it involves updating the interior decor, and renovating that ugly concrete bunker motor lobby that connects the newer portion to the Pantlind. :thumbsup: I would be extremely pleased if that was in the works.

This might not be the right thread for it, but has anyone noticed what appear to be scratches on the east side of the Amway glass tower? It looks really crappy. You can sort of see them in this picture. Maybe one of you with a better camera can get better images:

DSC01612.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris Knape mentions the impending renovation of the "newer" half of the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in his most recent blog post. Does anyone know if they are looking to renovate the inside, the outside, or both? He also mentions a potential build out of a full spa.

Chris Knape mentions the impending renovation of the "newer" half of the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in his most recent blog post. Does anyone know if they are looking to renovate the inside, the outside, or both? He also mentions a potential build out of a full spa.

• 1 month later...

My brother and his wife have stayed at the Amway Grand a couple of times. They have nothing but good words about the place. The 2009 renovation will probably allow the hotel to keep up with the JW in style, technology, amenities. One thing I would like to see is more transparency and better more pedestrian streetscaping along the Perl street entrance.

• 1 year later...

Archived