Renderings of unbuilt projects in Orlando

Dcfilmknight

Does anyone have renderings of projects that were either proposed or planned, but were never built?

For example, in the late 80's on I-4, I remember seeing huge billboards announcing the 'Orlando Galleria' that was proposed on land that was eventually annexed by Universal Orlando (where Islands of Adventure now sits). It was there for years until Universal began construction of its original 4 stages (and the Pyscho 4 set) and pictured a huge mall-type structure with a central waterfront that fronted I-4.

Anyone have this or any others?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The residential tower in the background of the benchmark is still on... this project is located at the NE corner of Garland and Washington.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Benchmark residential was ever on.... Back when there was a Benchmark, it was only reported that Kuhn was discussing with a S. Fla group about the possibility of putting in a residential tower. I don't think it ever went further than that.

I don't think Benchmark residential was ever on.... Back when there was a Benchmark, it was only reported that Kuhn was discussing with a S. Fla group about the possibility of putting in a residential tower.  I don't think it ever went further than that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are probably right in that they are not really connected other than a land sale but it is a way that we can reference this project with the limited info and no name as of yet. If there is anybody that can get more info that would be great. I have my hopes up that this project will make it to fruition.

Does anyone have renderings of projects that were either proposed or planned, but were never built?

For example, in the late 80's on I-4, I remember seeing huge billboards announcing the 'Orlando Galleria' that was proposed on land that was eventually annexed by Universal Orlando (where Islands of Adventure now sits). It was there for years until Universal began construction of its original 4 stages (and the Pyscho 4 set) and pictured a huge mall-type structure with a central waterfront that fronted I-4.

Anyone have this or any others?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No renderings, but remember project Debra aka AgriWorld or something. It later became MetroWest.

I agree. I think its because in the original rendering the cube is just way too big and disproportionate to the rest of the building, it needs to be taller. And well, that second rendering is wrong for many reasons. I'm sure I wouldn't be complaining if this thing got built, it would have been nice density on that block, but hopefully this Palm Beach group can come up with a design that is more timeless, less 90s office park.

Don't know what happened to the Magnolia project, my guess is that there wasn't an office demand at that time, and there certainly wasn't a residential demand. It had a nice footprint though, even if it is a bit stubby.

For some reason I dont like the look of the city center building. For some reason it reminds me of a big version of one of the buildings in Bridgeport CT, that I have a distaste for. Maybe its the cube on top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen the Bridgeport building from I-95 and agree that it is less than stunning, but having just been awed by the Grand Arche de la Defense in Paris, I still have hope for open cubes. I think they have to be done a large scale otherwise they just look silly. The original rendering of Orlando City Center would have worked well for a downtown like Orlando's where there aren't many signature buildings to dampen its impact. Of course, that's just my opinion. While I was a big fan of the site plan and architecture of the project when it debuted, I gotta say that it looks pretty 80's-ish now.

The Magnolia Tower was pretty sweet.  Any idea on why it never was developed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Magnolia Tower was proposed at the same time as CNL1 and Capital Plaza 2. I have an article that claimed it was on a faster track than those two projects because of approvals. I think there were only so many tenants around for these projects and Magnolia was the odd man out.

While I think the open cube on top of the City Center building looks very odd, I believe we just found our solution to the height restriction issue for dowtown.... just put open air cubes up there for the planes to fly right through! :D

The cube may look odd, but not as odd as the torque of the building in the above rendering - I like buildings to be orthogonal to the street - ie. perpendicular, unless there is a really good reason (like the street curves out in front).

What exactly is/was Beastly Kingdom?

I remember talk of a Xanadu project.

I also remember an artical in Time magazine circa 1991 about Orlando as a boom town, there was a map with a list of projected projects. If I ever get all my odl stuff from NJ I'll try to scan that picture in.

Archived